Making my Gibson Flying V faded a Djent machine

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Ramy, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

Hey there,

Just registred myself here on SSF after being a reader for quite some time. :hbang:

As the title suggests, I'm planning to transform my Gibson Flying V faded into a djent machine. I currently have it tuned to drop A with D'addario baritone EXL 13's (thickest is a .62).

I'm planning to buy either a line 6 UX2 or line 6 POD HD. Now my question to you is if it's possible to transform my flying v into a djenter. I'm also planning to change the stock pickups to some BKP Aftermath's. Would you consider this a good idea to obviously change the sound dramatically. Would the recording utilities I'm planning to buy suffice to add heaps of djent to my overall sound? Is it even possible to do this kind of project with my guitar, or would you definitely consider another one (even after the pickup upgrades).
    I am aware of the fact that a very big part of djent is the playingstyle. But with my current set up, which is absolutely horrible (line 6 spider 2), it is not possible to achieve this particular sound.

If you have other suggestions please let me know,

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Ramy

2. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

Despite hating that asinine 'd' term, but working a lot with progressive metal players and being major V fan, I can say you're on the right path in regards to pickups but there are a few contenders that will get you in that ballpark. The Aftermath sounds great in a slightly darker sounding all-mahogany Gibson, and don't rule out the Coldsweat. The Lundgren M6 is another great choice that will NAIL that tone in spades, and was actually wound for that high-gain uber-tightness that you're going for. The Duncan Distortion might be another good choice.

The POD HD can get some great tones, and has no problem getting that tone.

3. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

Hey, thanks a lot!

I'm a huge V fan as well, but the tone just wasn't doing it for me. It plays like a dream, but I just couldn't get the tones I wanted.

I just checked the Lundgren M6 out, but that is kind of out of my price range. If I would be getting a single pickup swap first, which pickup would you recommend me to swap first, the neck or the bridge pickup?

So my flying V will have no problems nailing that awesome tone (guitar wise, that is, aside from the pickups)?

Edit: Why are most djent players using Ibanez mainly? Is it because of their shape? Because a mahogany Gibson outfitted with BKP's wouldn't differ too much from a mahogany Ibanez using BKP's right?

4. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

Not true.

5. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

Alright, that's why I'm asking, what makes them the go-to guitar for Djent?

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Popularity. :lol:

Also they're usually cheap and pretty well built. You can get a MiJ Ibanez for under $600 if you scope around enough.

But consider this: Most Ibbys are 25.5 scale and maple necked, and your V is most likely 24.75 scale and mahogany-necked, so it'll sound darker compared to an ibby.

7. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

Ah, I see.

Here in the Netherlands Ibbys are pretty pricey. Also second hand guitar sales are pretty much non-existant and you must be VERY lucky to find one.

Luckily my V can hold the low tunings pretty well (pulls off drop A with little effort). Darker sounding, would that be positive for the sound I am trying to achieve?

Thanks a lot for the given answers so far! I'm still a learner soundwise, as I've spent most time playing and not caring about the sound too much :p. But now I have some songs lined up for recording, and therefore looking to perfect my sound as much as possible.

So far I think I'm going for the BKP's.

Anybody else who has an opinion about a gibson flying v for djent?

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well for djent, brighter is usually better, but I'm pretty sure you can pull it off with the right pickups.

9. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

I see. That's good news :).

Any other tips, aside from getting the BKP's and POD HD, for getting that Vildhjarta/Meshuggah-esque tone on my Flying V?

10. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

V love here too. ATX V-1, but switched to SD passives.

You can probably Djent with yours depending on your amp settings really. A TS-9 boost or something close to that IMO is all you need ( all I need to get a good Djent if I wanted to).

Misha's second, and he later uses at TS9. Makes a BIG difference.

11. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

You could try something other than BKPs if I may humbly make such a suggestion... I find it hard to believe they're the only company that can get you what you want. Deandropis mentioned 3 companies in his post. I hear DiMarzio also has some pickups that can get you where you're trying to go.

Also, are you not into active pickups?

Just curious.

12. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Djent is still around?

13. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

I researched the other ones Deandropis mentioned, but some of them are out of my pricerange. Also, I've heard a lot of good stories about the BKP's and based my decision on that. The BKPs are perfectly in my price range, and like I said, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I personally like the extra 'gritty' sound passives tend to give you. Actives tend to sound more sterile. Now, of course, I haven't heard all the available actives that are on the market.

Edit: But of course, I'm open to any others. So I'll definitely research them some more before making the purchase!

14. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Okay... Fair enough. :cheers:

15. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

That and actives I've found are rather thin. But You should be able to Djent with a TS9 and the right amp setup.

I have Sh-4 in the bridge and neck (Dual JB) and I can Djent perfectly running my ATX into my GT8 effects processor, into my Peavey bandit which is running through a Hughes and Kettner 4x12.

16. Ramy

Ramy SS.org Regular

Sounds good! I think I know what to look for now! Proper pickups and recording gear. Now I'll be starting researching the different pickups throughly. Very happy that my flying v suffices to djent away. I love how it plays, and the shorter scale is good for me as I have smaller hands. I've played an 8 stringer once, and that was just too big.

Anyone else suggestions?

17. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

A dimarzio crunchlab is a cheaper pickup option that can hold its own for a djent tone. I would say eff the neck pickup and just get a new pickguard cut for 1 hum only. Also don't play into pickups being suited exclusively for djent. A dry sound amp with a decent amount of gain, pushed mids, and a good noise gate can get you there. personally i find the rypical djent sound cold and sterile. its easy to eq an amp for something like that. I have done it with a telecaster with a Duncan lil 59 in the bridge. Pick hard.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm curious at how the Crunch Lab would sound in an ALL-mahogany guitar.

19. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

I have tried it. I thought it was pretty sweet. Tight as expected, and the mids complimented the lower end and lower mids of the guitar. It was a Jackson sls. All mahog with ebony board.

20. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Aftermaths and thicker strings!

On your 24.75" scale, I'd use an .11-.48 set with a low .72 for Drop A. Then get rid of the .11

Not really sure how well that would intonate though. I have a hard enough time on my 25.5" scale guitars with slightly thinner strings (.10-.46 with a .70 in Drop A).