Make this stop!!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by scherzo1928, Feb 20, 2011.

1. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

Ok, so I was reading this thread:
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/147894-nylon-string-solid-bodies.html

Predictably I want to build my own solidbody acoustic. I'm thinking of making it a 7 though.

I have a neckthrough laminate just lying around, and I think I might use that. If not I'll make a 1 piece mahogany body, and a mahogany neck. I'm not sure about the fingerboard though, torn between pau ferro and ebony.

Also, I have looked at a bunch of piezo pickups, but cant find a propper preamp for a build like this. Any sugestions? Controls would just be volume and some sort of EQ (just bass and treble)

And yes, I realize I have everything lying around for my 2nd build. Hence the title.

joaocunha, FYP666 and flo like this.
  2. Rusti

Rusti SS.org Regular

Hi scherzo :)
    if you're looking for an acoustic sound with a piezo id go with something like graphtech piezo saddles installed directly on the the wood, not on some bridge metal plate. Goin on this way id do an hollow body instead of a solid body :p

3. Sullen

Sullen In misery we rest

+1

4. scherzo1928

Ah, I was looking at some of the "under saddle" pickups, since I plan on using a "classical" bridge

5. bbp

bbp SS.org Regular

6. scherzo1928

Ugh, the idea of this guitar keeps sidetracking me...

[​IMG]

I think I might end up attempting to build this before my "2nd build"

7. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

looks like you will only fit 21 frets on there.....unless you get clever and cut some angle off the nut side and glue it to the other end....

8. scherzo1928

Yep, that's my main concern. I mean, 21 frets is already 2 more than I have on any of my classicals, and 9 more than I can actually reach on any of them (without contortionist mode activated).

I'll order a pau ferro board just in case, but I think I'll stick to this ebony board I got. It's just such a nice piece... such a shame it's a bit short.

For those of you wondering, its a 636mm-666mm scale fan. So about 25"-26.22".
    5mm increments per string. 2 of them are at the nut, the other 3 are at the bridge, and that leaves a perpendicular fret at the 6th.

Dead Undead likes this.
  9. scherzo1928

AH, caved in. Just ordered a bunch of stuff for this.

I indeed ended up ordering that pau ferro board as a backup in case I screw up... or to make something else later on shall I succeed. I wont be getting the parts until mid march, which should give me time to finish the other one, and also give me a bit of study time for my exams next week.

10. Ketzer

Ketzer Good news, everyone!

Classicals don't need that many frets, though. 21 is a ton. I can get to 16 on my classical with great difficulty, but I never need to unless I've decided to play steel-string songs on it.

11. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

HAHAHHAHA !

Infectious little problem you have there my friend.

just for clarity, this is a steel string?

12. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

You could do a split fretboard.

13. Rusti

Rusti SS.org Regular

Hi scherzo, did you think about nylon strings vibrates a lot less or with less "power" then strings for electric guitar? on a piezo pickup i guess this would result in a lower output volume.. the only solution i see is in a more classical construction, that lets the wood vibrate more. What do you think about that?

14. scherzo1928

Nylon

Indeed. I have been thinking a lot about body thickness, livelier woods, semihollows and the lot. Oh, and high tension strings.

15. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Just being a padantic ass, it's not an acoustic if it's solid body, it's just a nylon electric with a piezo pickup instead of magnetic.

A few things:

1 you may have difficulty getting a 7th string (if I read your post correctly)
    2 the preamp is the most important part of the electrics, the piezo's a very basic piece of electronics, and the preamp is what you actually hear.
    3 piezo's take very little from the wood, which is why an ovation (made out of laminates an plastic and sounds awful acoustically) sounds very similar plugged in to say a fender acoustic. As before, a good preamp will make the wood choice much simpler.
    4 have you considered a body sensor pickup in the neck joint? A sensor or single coil pickup would be cool around a chamber.

16. Rusti

Rusti SS.org Regular

Scherzo do you remember the abm piezo bridge i bought for my guitar? well its like a 3-4mm of metal plate, sure i will try it but im probably going to make an ebony plate to use instead of the metal one. Im pretty sure that a piezo on a metal plate wont sound very well.. anyway ill let you know.
    im just back on my guitar building yesterday :)

17. scherzo1928

Sweet, let me know how that turns out.

I'll probably make an "el cheapo" version first on some cheap wood, or even MDF, just to get a better idea of string tension, and overall sound/volume

18. adrock

adrock long ball larry!

the only way to make it stop, is to build more....

19. scherzo1928

hehe, I know you are tempted to make one as well... :agreed:

20. faceforward_007

faceforward_007 Land of Ice and Snow

sounds like quite the build, good luck with it! been watching your other posts, very cool