Mahogany + BKP 7 Painkillers/Aftermaths/Juggernauts - Your Recommendations ??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeaDdY, Sep 16, 2016.

1. HeaDdY

HeaDdY DreaDdY

mod edit: let's keep it to one thread in the appropriate section in the future

Hey Fellas Musicians !!

So as the title says I'm trying to find out about the sound of these pickups:

BKP-7 Painkillers/Aftermaths/Juggernauts (or Your Recommendations) in a Mahogany Body Guitar, cause I'm planning on Upgrading the Pickups soon on 3 of my

Mahogany Body Ibanez Guitars:

1) Ibanez DCM-100 - 26.5" Scale with 3-piece Maple/Bubinga neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM rods,

2) Ibanez K7 - 25.5" Scale with 5-piece Maple/Bubinga neck,

3) Ibanez RGIR27BE - 25.5" Scale with 3-piece Maple/Bubinga neck.

After doing my researches and talking to the guys (at BKP.co.uk) about which Pickups to choose for my Mahogany Body Guitars,

I decided to buy/look for these pickups and I'm considering these pickups are best for my needs (I MIGHT BE WRONG, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF YES),

since the mahogany is considered a darker tone wood, but I also wanted to hear your opinions as well guys. TIA.

I mostly play Low Tuned/ Open Strings (and not only open)/ Palm-Muted Riffs,

with Some Soloing and Some Cleans (or effects like Chorus/ Delay/ Phaser/ Compressor/ EQ etc)

and looking to get that Djenty/Proggy/Deathcore-ish type of sound

I need:

1 Bridge Pickup for my Ibanez DCM-100 - 26.5" Scale with 3-piece Maple/Bubinga neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM rods (recommend me ),

a Set of 2 (Bridge+Neck) for my Ibanez K7 - 25.5" Scale with 5-piece Maple/Bubinga neck (recommend me),

and a Set of 2 (Bridge+Neck) for my Ibanez RGIR27BE - 25.5" Scale with 3-piece Maple/Bubinga neck (recommend me).

I'm no expert in these pickups or in sound and all this at all, and I know you guys are more familiar then I am with the sound of these pickups so please,

if anyone has had previous experience with:

BKP Pickups + Mahogany Body Guitars + Low Tunings + Baritones (26.5" Scale and/or Regular 25.5" Scale)

and/or have any advice to give me on that matter

I Would Highly Appreciate That guys ...

PS. I have a set of Black Hawks installed in my Ibanez RG 1077XL - Basswood 27" Scale with 3-piece Maple/Bubinga neck,

and I really love the sound of the BKPs in it, they did change the sound a lot from the previously installed (original) pickups, that's why I decided to go with BKPs guys.

TIA and Cheers Everyone !!!

- HeaDdY.

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I personally don't get that BKP hype. They are dry and nasal/metallic IMHO. But YMMV. The only one i can stand is Warpig alnico, but still there is that metallic click going on.
    I had very bad experience with Juggernaut bridge. It was like screaming hights.
    The listed Ibanez guitars all sound quite bright actually. The mahog body is not enough to bring the Les Paul kind of midrange. The neck and the construction of the guitar play substantial role in the sound of the whole instrument.
    The major question: what tone are You after? Maybe any band refference. What kind of tuning do You use. What kind of amplifier/cab do You use?
    Then we can recomend You something.
    Cheers.

3. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

I think that's the attack snap sound, and many people prefer it for rhythm effect, or for more dynamic leads, and is the reason why bolt-on might be preferred to neck-throughs. It's definitely essential to the styles described by the OP.

That's.... shocking. I've bought two pairs of Juggernauts precisely because they have the least screaming, sweetest high...

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

For me, pickups don't sound good because of their name or hype. It is a matter of taste to some extent. I prefer some Dimarzio, some Seymour Duncan model over BKPs. I don't play djent. I don't tune lower than C. I mostly play on analog drives into tube amps or tube amps by itself. On modellers this character of BKPs is ok, on tube amp it sucks. For me. This is only my humble opinion. And i'm too old to let me know what's good for me ;-) I like meaty, even midrange.

5. MiahDrao

MiahDrao SS.org Regular

You and I are looking for same thing, more or less: which BKP to put in our mahogany guitars. There's also no "wrong answer" to the never-ending pickup question. These pickups that were recommended to you are generally brighter to compliment the darker/middy features of mahogany (these features are not as extreme as people make them sound). And deathcore/djent/palm-muted/open-note riffage generally is performed with a brighter EQ curve. Honestly, I would just say take your own personal favorite between them all. Listen to clips. Don't let other people tell what/what not to do. As far me, the Juggernaut sounds more and more attractive every time I listen to it. It seems to be that tonal "middle ground" to my ears in comparison to the shrillness of the Painkiller and Aftermath.

6. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I too feel this way about bkp. I have owned the painkiller and aftermaths in 6, 7 and 8 strings guitars. I found them very gated and shrill like. I have not tried the juggernauts. Certainly a lot of hype, but I think it comes down to application.

7. HeaDdY

HeaDdY DreaDdY

Hey man, yeah thanks, forgot to mention I'm using a

Hughes and Kettner WARP X Amp with Hughes & Kettner VC 412 A 30 Cabinet mostly in Drop G (DAFCGDG)

... and as far as bands, I don't even know what to say, there's just too many of them, here's a few:

Northlane, Modern Day Babylon, Volumes, Tesseract, I Declare War, Thy Art Is Murder, Whitechapel.

Thanks will definitely look more into the Juggernauts sound clips on their website as well, but to be honest IDK what type of wood has been used in those Sound -Clips and I highly doubt it it was Mahogany...

Thanks again guys ...

- HeaDdY

in meanwhile, BUMP ...

8. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I have a BKP Painkiller (only one I've owned/tried, I usually stick with Duncans) in my Ibanez RGA121 and I like it a lot. It's pretty punchy, clear, and very tight sounding. A lot of people think it can get ice picky in the highs from what I've read. I haven't noticed that so far, although I do usually eq my tones to be darker sounding.

Edit: That guitar is usually tuned to Drop C, B or that DAFCGA tuning occasionally.

9. HeaDdY

HeaDdY DreaDdY

Thanks man, I really appreciate the info, that really helps ... I guess I just have to get one of each and just try them all out ... and if I don't like'em in Mahogany -I could always put it in my RG7420 Basswood or RG1077XL.