Magic the Gathering!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Slayer89, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Slayer89

Slayer89 The Demon Barber

So ... what happened to the old thread? I just went to post in it and the multi-page thread of nerdiness is gone.

2. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

Must have...uhm died?

I don't know, but no one posted in it for a long time, did you search for it?

Anyway what were you going to post in it?

3. Slayer89

Yeah, I looked through my subscribed threads and and searched the forum but didn't see it at all. I last posted in it about a week or so ago. Anywho ...

Anyone else play in GameDay? I ended up playing with my BW World Queller Stax brew and went 2-2-1. Not too bad all things considered.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I did, did pretty well. I went 3-0-1 in the round robin to tie for 1st. Our store decided to have a top 8 in order to give away some old promo cards they had lying around, good stuff for EDH (even though I don't play EDH). Both me and the other fellow who went 3-0-1 to tie for first got eliminated in the top 4 by people we had beat earlier in the day. Interesting grudge match kinda thing. ;)

I was playing the trusty W/U Allies with control splashed. Allies have always served me well. What was surprising though was that several people who normally run very strong decks were running these weird experimental creations that had little to no play testing. The guy I beat in my first matchup was running a wall deck with Near-Death Experience as the win condition. :nuts: Also, my first matchup in the top 8 was against someone running Relentless Rats. I mopped the floor with both of them.

Probably the most interesting match I played was against someone running a combination of Mythic Conscription and a deck based on Aura Gnarlid (super powerful card in the right hands, btw) and Kor Spirit-Dancer. It was a VERY tactical game, with both of us playing very conservative, reactive games, because both our decks had some level of control, but relied on pure beatdown to win. I beat him 2-1, but only by a hair, as I only had 2 life when I killed him, and he had an Aura Gnarlid out with Eldrazi Conscription. I only won because I was able to drop a second Kabira Evangel and gain protection from both of his defenders' colors and walk around them to damage him for 1 more than his life total. Amazing matchup, though.

The guy I tied was running an interesting R/B variant of classic Grixis Discard. He laid me to waste in round one, but my sideboard was basically tailored specifically to shut down Red and Black, so I took round 2. Our round 3 went into overtime with neither of us in a position to win, so the judge called it a tie.

The guy who knocked me out of top 8 was running U/B control. I managed to beat him 2-1 in the round robin because he had shitty draws. He beat me 2-0 in top 4, albeit in 2 VERY LONG games.

5. Slayer89

Sounds like fun man. Yeah, I usually run one of the Top decks, but decided to brew up my own list for this one. I have to admit that I was also surprised by the amount of "weird, experimental" decks. Made for a fun day, though.

My draw was against Next Level Bant (well, that's the closest thing to it I can think of) and actually was my first ever draw. First game we kept gaining life until we were both above 30 before we started beating on each other, haha. He ended up taking that one with 2 or 3 Baneslayers. I stabilized early with a Queller game 2 and almost had the win when time was called, so I got that one and ended it on 1-1.

6. PirateMetalTroy

PirateMetalTroy The Tooth Fairy

why do you newschool MTG players have to be so lame. I can't afford to have another hobby, or take up old ones.

My black/blue necropotence deck will have to suffice for...ever? wanna buy my cards?

7. Slayer89

Necropotence = Neat-o

8. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

When I think of Magic the Gathering, I think of North Carolina, T-Pain's song "Buy You a Drank" and Rihanna's "Umbrella" just released as singles, staying up late, screaming nephew, and The Marines. Those were the good days, and that was 3 years ago :lol::lol::lol:

9. Xaios

So, picked up some Jace, The Mind Sculptors today. I bought 3. This card is worth $85.00 a piece. I got them for $45.00 each. :D

So, I now have 5 Jace, The Mind Sculptors and 5 Primeval Titans. Life is good. :D

10. Slayer89

What?! You are unofficially uncool.

How the hell did you get Mind Sculptors for that cheap?

11. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

Ive been trying to get into this game but I just dont get it. Im too used to the yugioh TCG XD

12. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

^ Once you get this down, it's infinitely more fun than teh Yugioh stuff :yesway:

13. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

ALso, I have no idea wtf happened to my original one :nuts: (the thread that is)

14. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

Jealous...

15. Xaios

Apparently some dude who had just moved up to town from down south came into the store and sold them his whole collection, which (among several other awesome cards) included 5 JTMS's. The store actually held on to the stuff for a week to make sure that it wasn't stolen. After that, the store owner basically just priced the Jaces to sell (everything else they got was priced at market value) so they could get rid of them fast, and it worked. He stickered them at $50.00, and with my store discount, I got them for $45.00.

Basically, I got INCREDIBLY lucky. I was in the store at exactly the right time. Another hour and they would have probably been gone.

16. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

Very lucky...

Are you going to sell any of your Jaces? There's not much that can be done with five, well there is, but fives a lot...unless your very blue heavy.

17. Slayer89

Damn, that's pretty awesome. I remember I sold my one copy of JTMS for $45 around the time they came out and thought I had gotten the good deal, haha.

18. Xaios

I plan on keeping 4 out of 5 of them, as that's the most that can be played in a deck. I did purchase the last one intending to trade it, as I'll be able to get excellent value for it. I could probably get $90-$100 worth of cards for it, which isn't a bad trade up from $45. I also plan on trading one of the Primeval Titans I have. I was thinking of maybe trading the Jace, Primeval Titan and a couple more cards for 2 Elspeths and 2 Gideon Juras. Of course, I may also just sit on them until Scars of Mirrodin comes out and use them for trade fodder at that point. In the end though, I don't plan on keeping the extras.

19. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

If I were, and this is just my opinion, I'd wait for SOM. Plus Gideon Jura kinda sucks...at least I'm not a fan.

Speaking of Scars of Mirrodin, is there anything you guys want in the set ?

20. Xaios

Gideon can be quite strong in the right application, but it's very specific. Probably doesn't justify the cost.

Wizards has all but shouted from the rooftops that Scars of Mirrodin will feature a new Elspeth planeswalker, which is great, cause I love version 1.

Also, no affinity. Please.