Mad Max Fury Road

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Daf57, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I watched the movie a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Writer/producer/director, George Miller did a excellent job on this movie. Definately wouldn't mind watching this movie again.

However, I would have liked to have seen a continuation to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985). As many of you have seen at the end of Thunderdome, Savannah Nix and her tribe made it to the bombed out Syndey, Austrailia city. And then Savannah gives her nightly speech of, "how they light up the city, etc, etc, etc".

IMHO, to me, just my opinion, Savannah's speech/Thunderdome end scene is the end of the one chapter and the beginning of another. The end chapter of long desert roads and people looking and living like barbarians and the beginning chapter of people living in civilized cities with electrical power. In short, my take on the ending of Thunderdome took us out of the what we are used to seeing in Max Max movies and into the future of living in cities. Would be cool to see a new Mad Max movie take place in this "modern city". Not to sound too indepth/sentimental here but..., this is the 2nd time (talking Road Warrior and Thunderdome and not Fury Road) Max sacrificed himself so other people can survive. It would be nice to have seen the individuals Max saved flourish in the sequels. IMHO, of course. :cool:

Obviously, Mad Max is George Miller's baby and he can do whatever he wants to it and long desert roads and people looking and living like barbarians is a strong signature in his movies and plus, people are obviously happy with the new movie so...

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Miller has kind of disowned Thunderdome (he only directed half of it) plus a ton of series fans hate it, so I'm not surprised they didn't continue it.

3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I didn't like it at first and I can completely understand why many other fans would hate it. Now, I freaking love it. I just love the progression/personality of the different locations and its inhabitants going from:

Armed barbarians with mowhawks in Thunderdome.
    To cave dweller children/teenagers in the Crack in the earth.
    To Jedediah the Pilot's hideout and his airplane.
    To finally, the lit up city. The beginning of modern civilization.

IMHO, the original Mad Max triliogy, not including Fury Road, is one of the those rare trilogies in which I think everything is complete. Good progression, forward thinking, let's not look "too far into the past for futures success", etc, etc, etc. Anyways, just my IMHO. :cool:

4. wankerness

I think they couldn't have followed those characters in the city without fast forwarding 100 years and thus being unable to use Max as a character. The narration at the end there does go way into the future, kinda like the boy's narration in The Road Warrior. It makes sense that coastal cities would have pockets of civilization like that and then the vast outback would be a hellhole. Fury Road definitely has a ton of progression in terms of the "savages'" society from The Road Warrior. Miller said it was intended to take place after Road Warrior and Thunderdome, so he didn't rewrite the continuity or anything.

But yeah, the format of these movies so far is like old westerns, the gunslinger helps some outcasts and then rides off into the sunset once his duty is done, never to deal with them again. Since the gunslinger is the title character, of course each movie follows him instead of the people he moved on from. I guess we'll see if they break that pattern for the next one since this movie was as much about Furiosa as him, and seems to be the more popular character generally.

5. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

As much as I liked Fury Road, I just had a really difficult time seeing Max as more of a peripheral character as opposed to the main focus. I thought the visuals were nothing short of awe inspiring...but awesome visuals and mind blowing action sequences doesn't necessarily make an awesome story.

Many people argue that, like in Road Warrior, Max really is just a guy that falls into a bad situation and rolls with it. However, unlike Road Warrior, Max is merely an accessory as opposed to the primary focus in his own story here. He is to Fury Road what the Gyro Captain was to Road Warrior. I just found myself wondering why he was even there other than to justify calling this a Mad Max movie.

When all is said and done, if you showed this to an audience of people who have no idea who Mad Max is and remove his name from the title, I would wager most would call this Furiosa's movie.

6. wankerness

Considering the primary arc of the movie is Max being a crazy loner at the beginning, starting to work as a team with others, finally saying his name and then riding off into the sunset after successfully assisting Furiosa and co I don't really get this argument. He has far fewer lines than Furiosa, because that's how his character is supposed to be. They're given about equal weight, he's just more reactive because that's how the character is. He definitely bookends the movie.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

to be honest the less tom hardy mumbles in a movie, the better it probably is

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

TOM HARDY IS A PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL THAT'S TOO GOOD FOR THIS WORLD, YOU SHUSH THAT MOUTH OF YOURS.

9. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

ftfy

No, seriously, one of the things I loved about the movie were all the non-verbals. Where he just holds out the chain attached to his neck and grunts, loved that.

Don't get me wrong, loved Locke too -- which is almost entirely clearly enunciated dialog on the part of Hardy -- so ... there's that.

The arc could just as easily have been described from Furiosa's perspective, but it's called Mad Max because that's the name of the franchise.

10. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Honestly the funniest line of the whole movie was when Max was chained to Nux's car - "CONFUCAMUS"

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Here you go, gang. Just released by one of my favorite YouTube channels: CineFix.