Mad Max Fury Road

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Daf57, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Finally saw this. Holy crap. agreed with every positive review above about the action, the aesthetic, the performances.

Worth seeing in theaters just to experience the sound design (i.e. the doof warrior).

it was an over-the-top in every way (the pole cat stunts were my favorite).

Easily my second favorite action movie (behind 13 Assassins).

The simplicity of the plot is what makes it awesome, however it's the reason i can't cal it my favorite.

The films have such a wild aesthetic and design and anthropology there is no way to put the whole universe on-screen the way it deserves. This is begging for a warhammer 40k treatment for it to be fleshed out.

i guess that's a credit to George Miller for giving me something i want more of... but as it stands now the whole universe is in his head (correct me if i'm wrong).

so yeah.. give me more Mr. Miller. and don't be gentle

2. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

It kind of made me want to dust off my old Gorkamorka figures.

For the uninitiated, Gorkamorka was basically "28mm miniature Mad Max squad RPG in space, WITH ORKZ."

[​IMG]

Oh wot a waagh! Wot a luvvly waaagh!

3. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

i really wish i could rep right now

4. asher

asher So Did We

From my impressions of it second hand, sounds like there is fairly liberal credit to be given to 40k's wonderful Ork Boyz :lol:

5. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Not enuff red wunz. Didn't go fasta.

6. fps

fps Kit

This film, wow, I am not a big blockbuster watcher, and this re-affirmed my faith in big cinema. Fantastic, epic all round experience.

7. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

I thought it was ok, but decidedly average, and certainly not a touch on the original, the story was just a bit predictable and boring, the sped up sequences were lame...

8. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Shun the non-believer, SHUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNuh!

Does no-one remember Odd Rods?

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

"The original?" The original has practically nothing in common with it, they might as well be different genres. What a weird comparison. The original is practically a Death Wish clone set in Australia but with cars instead of guns and a slightly sci-fi bent, this is just pure insanity in total post-apocalypse world. I can't see saying this story was more predictable and boring than that paint-by-numbers revenge movie, either. I like the original a lot, don't get me wrong, but to hold it up as some shining example of originality and action cinema compared to this is nuts. Maybe if you were talking about Mad Max 2 instead you'd be able to make a case :hbang:

10. fps

fps Kit

I agree, and if I remember right there was lots of speeding up footage in the first one, which this one presumably is linking itself with.

11. wankerness

Yeah, much of the driving footage in the first two is sped up.

12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

late to the party and finally got to watch it over the weekend

I enjoyed it as a fun movie . practicality no story or character development but hey , it had a charger with tank tracks. who needs character development

13. wankerness

There's plenty of character development, it's done through acting and actions that characters take instead of dialogue. It's rather funny that in the action-dominated moviescape right now that even junk like Age of Ultron has to constantly tell us exactly what every character is thinking via dialogue and that Mad Max seems to have confused so many people, but here we are.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

To each their own man . yeah there may be character development but it all felt a little rushed to me . were Nux's experiences really enough to justify going against everything he lived his whole life for and was prepared to die for ,even wanted to die for ?

15. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

However what dialogue there is I thought was pretty powerful, when Max first says, "Max, my name is Max..." and tells Furiosa that he's sorry before relieving the pressure on her collapsing lung. You can see the faint flicker of empathy and humanity right there.

16. wankerness

After he got tripped up by the chain and then indirectly caused the death of Angharad he realizes he can't go back. Also, it's explained he barely has any time left to live. Plus, if that redhead was cuddling up to you you'd probably sell your soul too.

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Max says a start of the film "A man reduced to a single instinct, survive", he joins Furiosa because he has already suffered at the hands of the war boys and that was when he was a prized bloodbag, harming the prized wife would come with a horrific punishment. Then Nux is largely responsible for her death or at least he takes the blame solely on himself and knows the consequences. He is already broken at the point before she comforts him.

Since its 90% wall to wall action it may seem like there was little story but George said the film is like an Iceburg, underneath there was an insane amount of world building. Two religions, multiple locations, hierarchies, humanised villains, deeply motivated characters, cultures etc etc all with minimal dialogue. A lot of it went way over people's heads since it wasn't spoon fed to them like Avengers or any other action film out these days but George says he's been overwhelmed how much people were able to pick up on despite that.

Also everyone needs to see this:
    [​IMG]

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Off topic, but I had watched Avengers: Age of Ultron yesterday and it was incredibly underwhelming. Script writing seems to be falling to the wayside as marvel widens its universe. Not only is it spoon fed, but it isn't even done well.

19. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

^ Well, there's my new laptop wallpaper

20. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Unless this "character development" is a type of rocket launcher, we do not want to hear about it...:lol: