Mad Max Fury Road

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Daf57, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Which is funny because Borderlands uses several Mad Max/Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome references in their game.

Mad Mel from Borderlands. His strong visual reference to Lord Humungous and his vehicle that appears in "The Road Warrior".
    Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot name and arena location.
    I don't know the character's name but I saw a villian in the Pre-sequel that looks like Master Blaster from "Beyond Thunderdome".

2. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The only aspect of that film that was 'pro-feminism' IMO was that most action movies are so 'anti-women' (not exactly what I mean, but I think you get the point) and this one didn't really make it even relevant beyond them being the rulers wives. It gave them equal roles to the men in the film and didn't make it all about their asses and titties (see Michael bay films for reference :lol:).

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Djod approves.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I think you make the common mistake of conflating feminazis with feminists. Wanting equal human rights IS feminist, so their messages on the walls of their cage about "women are not objects," etc are certainly feminist. The more interesting feminist content is more subtle, though. It comes more in the refrains that the men screwed up the world, that the brutal society they've got going is the wrong thing, and that if given a chance to rule women would show more compassion and it would work better. A rundown of some of the key scenes with the feminist themes would be:

1) the old caretaker lady is the only one in the entire Citadel we're ever shown to have any appreciation for history or making any attempt to pass down traditions from before civilization failed. Immortan Joe is purely trying to run some kind of crazy dictatorship where he mindwarps the warboys into thinking he's literally some kind of god and intentionally erases history. This is hard to catch at first since it's done so subtly - basically, the women's "pen" is the only place you see any remnants of society that aren't completely warped (ex the piano) and her tattoos are entirely notes about history, which is hard to catch of course.

2) the scene where the women defend Nux from death because he's "just a kid," but are simultaneously screaming at him that he's been brainwashed. "Who killed the world??" is a line that gets repeated a couple times in reference to the warlike testosterone-driven behavior that the movie associates with a purely male outlook.

3) the part where Capable finds Nux in the back of the truck and sort of tries to puzzle through the mindset of the War Boys. It gives some explanation of their crazy beliefs (with Valhalla and all shiny and chrome, etc) and shows how much more effective her just being compassionate is, since for the rest of the movie he's basically her puppy and he emerges as one of the most heroic characters.

4) the remants of the women in the desert, obviously. Their time in isolation after their society has collapsed has led to them starting to turn into a similar kind of feral existence where they have to kill intruders (ex the line from Dag about "somehow I thought you ladies were above all that" in response to the old lady talking about how she blasts people in the medulla). Still, there's the old woman with the seeds, they all have some kind of hope instead of nihilism, and all of them instantly accept Max/Nux as soon as they know they're "allies." Women are constantly equated to bringing a necessary compassion to society and as being growers and lifebringers. The "mother's milk" is also deployed as a metaphor a few times, but it's done subtly enough it's not annoying.

That's dumb. They're not filmed in a leery way at all, at any point. For counterpoint, check out the way Michael Bay films Megan Fox in the first couple transformers, with tons of leery shots of her butt hanging out of her shorts as she leans over car hoods and it's all filmed very clearly so you know exactly what you're supposed to be drooling over. There's NONE of that here, any focus on their bodies has to be done deliberately by the viewer since they're never the focus of any shot, unless you count the shots of Splendid's pregnant belly, but I don't think those were meant to titillate. Their get-ups are what sex slaves would be given to wear in that kind of crazy society, and it's not like they had a change of overalls. It sounds to me like you're just trying to grasp at straws to discredit the idea of it being feminist cause that would make you like it less, or something.

ANYWAY, I picked up the art/making-of book. There's some really cool stuff in here since the movie had been in development for nearly 20 years and thus went through some pretty radical character redesigns over that time. Ex, check out some of the concepts for Immortan Joe here. The thing about him dyeing himself blue with detergent offerings from the wretched would have been quite a sight!

[​IMG]

There's a ton of behind-the-scenes pictures and stills and shots of props and stuff too. It also has some details about the way that characters were written. One thing I liked was that the concept for the wives was that they'd behave like "five heads of a hydra," and they'd sent those five actresses out for a few weeks to practice together to coordinate their movements and really get comfortable with each other. It definitely shows in the movie, particularly the scene where Furiosa and Max get in a fist fight and they're all trying to help her.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

^I picked it up too. There is so many things I didn't notice even after seeing it twice. The attention to detail is crazy.

LOL at the original "warrior boys" looking like the Thunderdome guards.

6. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

Fair enough even though I can't wrap my head around that statement. If I was enslaved I would fight as hard as them and I'm a man.

Yes and there are women who are used to produce milk, does it make the movie anti-women ? It's not because there's one sane person (who happens to be a woman) that the movie is feminist.

That's a stretch. You can overinterpret anything and make everything feminist.

That encounter was so stupid imo... trust is nonexistent in this world and when she sees one of those who chase her, she's all soft with him, in a very stereotypical womanly way... I honestly facepalmed in the theater.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't understand why there are only women. Were there only women in the "green land" (I don't know how it's called in english) ? If it was a city composed of scholar women I guess it's feminist. Otherwise it's just a group of women who grew up away from the citadel so they're not brainwashed.

First I want to say that I enjoyed the movie (not the greatest movie of all time but enjoyable). Then seriously that scene where Max meet them didn't make you laugh ? If I remember correctly (I might be wrong in which case I'm just a pervert lol) it's a slow motion pan in on scantily dressed women pouring water on themselves and taking off chastity belts. Yes now that you mention it it reminds me of scenes akin to the one from Transformers, hot women being hot.

Ultimately it seems to me that people see women as totally different beings than men so when something happens involving them, we try to interpret it with a different mindset. Maybe it was shot with a feminist's eye but if it's the case I just don't understand what it means :lol:.

7. wankerness

I think that was the least leery way that scene could have possibly been filmed. You get no "butt shots" or "cleavage shots" in the entire movie even though they're that scantily clad. Anyway, agree to disagree I suppose. I know the movie was re-written by one of the V..... [LOL at the auto-filter, I guess anatomy is off-limits] Monologue authors to improve it, but I have never actually read any feminist interpretations of the movie or any reviews that talk about it. I've only read a couple reviews of the movie and they were just the advance ones, all of what I posted is just what I saw in the movie (I've seen it 3 times now!).

My summary of why it's feminist would be simply that the main plot of the movie revolves around women's struggle to escape male oppression and instate a society based around equal rights and collaboration between the genders. That isn't really a matter of opinion, that's actually the plot. Max and Nux obviously are main characters as well, but they just sort of support the goal. Furiosa definitely struck me as more the main character than Max.

And yes, the old War Boy designs were retarded! Really glad they went the direction they ended up using in the movie.

[​IMG]

Spamming this thread again, so I decided to edit post instead of responding to myself. One thing about the movie that isn't getting praised much is the soundtrack, which I guess is sort of generic modern action movie soundtrack in comparison to most of the rest of the movie, which could never be described as generic modern action movie. However, the middle of this track is so hype-worthy, this is the best part of the score by far IMO, it's for the second big chase scene (the one that starts with motorcycle bombing and ends with "[they] went under the wheels." It starts out just pure hype but that huge string refrain thing works so well, it's simultaneously triumphant and really melancholy, and supports the action so damn well. Listening to this makes me want to go see it AGAIN! I'm going to be in withdrawal for the months between it being out of theaters and available on video. :(

Note: the dub-step "wubs" at the beginning of the track are the one thing in the whole score that I DIDN'T like. :p Awesomeness starts ~2:00 with the gradual crescendo to the bit I was talking about ~3:00. It helps that the blasts behind the 3:00 section are roughly matched to explosions from grenades being tossed by motorcyclists flying over the heroes, and guys being shot off the motorcycles. :p Then the second time it happens is when the pregnant belly gets used as a body shield, which is one of the biggest "hero" moments in the flick. Greattttt stuff.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

‘Mad Max’: How Men’s Rights Activists Killed the World - The Daily Beast

[​IMG]

9. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    We were talking about Fury Road this past weekend, and among the guys who had shown up to a social event, everyone who had seen it not only wanted to see it initially, but wanted to do anything which would piss off MRA fools.

I consider that to be an encouraging sign regarding how outdated the anti-woman ideas spouted by the MRA folks have become, and how people can't help but notice that MRA folks only talk about women, and not about how to support men without making it about how women are to blame.

Did I mention I've now seen Fury Road twice?

10. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Haven't seen this yet, my brothers are being flakes and i promised to see it with them.

it's only grossed $283,116,217 worldwide, while technically successful i don't think this will be the film that ushers practical stuntwork back in a big way... Partly because, IMO, the franchise is too old for today's younger set who won't buy anything that doesn't resemble a franchise they recognize.

Here's hoping it does better on home release or streaming sites.

kinda off-topic, but because i work as a digital content producer/journalist my biggest pet-peeve is seeing others in my profession suck at their job. case in point:

[​IMG]

^ this is the headline

[​IMG]

^ this is the correction. If you work at a reputable, serious establishment (see: not Daily Dot), your editor pulls you aside, asks why you didn't confirm this detail before hitting publish and then tells you to fix the headline to avoid potential lawsuits.

furthermore, most of the articles reference sites, a plurality, or MRAs as a plurality, implying several groups, when it is one site which maintains:

[​IMG]

so congratulation digi-journos; you gave ROK more site views (the real sin here) in one week than they get in a month because research takes a back seat in the age of Vox, webstory factories, and native content.

11. asher

asher So Did We

It can say that all it wants, but if you look at what's actually up there...

And RoK is by no means the only place voicing MRA style critiques of the movie.

Also, Vox is pretty damn well researched :scratch:

12. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

i could be in full agreement with members of the IRA but not be a member of the IRA... this is where the difference is important.

if MRA sites were smart, they could take advantage of this misreporting and sue for damages, saying reporters aligning them with ROK damages their reputation (its happened to journalists before, hence why we have guidelines)

it becomes doubly important when you realize ROK trolls and baits stories to get story-factories to re-post them for content. they take advantage of the inherent laziness in the profession.

we can talk about Vox another time, but tl;dr.. don't give RoK any more ad money, and don't encourage bad journalism :yesway:

13. asher

asher So Did We

That's a terrible example, since all MRAs do is write bull.... about masculinity and feminists on the internet :lol:

Anyway. Awesome movie thread...

14. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Oh what a movie. What a lovely movie. Shiny and chrome. Witness!

This was billed to me by two different people as the best action movie they'd seen for years. One, your typical blokey bloke who'd definitely not describe himself as feminist and has fairly traditional ideas of women's roles and place in society. The other, a self-described (albeit with tongue slightly in cheek) "misandrist lesbian separatist."

I agree with both their assessments: movie is awesome, Furiosa is absolutely brilliant.

15. wankerness

Saw it for the fifth time yesterday, still just as good! They are taking it off the matinee schedule after today unfortunately to make room for lots of garbage I don't want to watch. Guess I'll just be going to the dollar theater for a while, I think Jurassic World is the only other movie this summer I have any interest in at all.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'm reading the "Art of Mad Max Fury Road" at the moment. I went to get through it all before I see the film again since it explains and points out a lot of things you would miss in the film.

17. wankerness

I like that it has stuff about Gas Town and Bulletfarm when you don't even see them in the movie. Just shows how thoroughly they thought through all the setting stuff, which is a big reason why the movie's so immersive. You get the feeling everything is a real society and the lack of standard exposition/explanation makes it seem even more massive and overwhelming. The way they did some of the exposition is truly brilliant, especially the first scene with the "witnessing." The trailer makes that guy jumping with the explosives just look like a pure action movie money shot, while in context in the movie it's got all kinds of other stuff going on and when it shows the reactions of all the other warboys and how the guy clearly thinks he's doing something incredibly righteous it almost has some kind of beauty to it. A similar thing happens with that incredible shot of the vehicle getting sucked into the storm and exploding and spraying bodies everywhere - the music and the way the scene is filmed certainly emphasizes the loss of life and how terrifying the whole thing is at the same time as being totally awesome. This movie is the best.

18. asher

asher So Did We

19. wankerness

Those are so bad they almost make me like the movie less :noway:

20. asher

asher So Did We

I thought they were hilarious :lol: