Mad Max Fury Road

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Daf57, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Huge fan of the original trilogy and definately wanting to see this. A little upset that Mel Gibson isn't reprising his rightful role but if George Miller is O.K. with it, then I guess I'll role with it. :cool:

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Looks OK besides the white-clothed fashion models that are inexplicably in the middle of the action. Women like that did not exist in the original trilogy, which was a big part of the aesthetic. I can only assume they're the focus of the plot here :scream: They look like they walked out of a Michael Bay movie, they're all teal and oranged and super bronzed and made-up.

I also think the super-artificial looking teal and orange computer color grading on every shot looks AWFUL, but at least the stunts and costumes all look very practical and very much like they go along with the originals. I'll probably go see it unless it gets really bad reviews, and I might even then.

4. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

New trailer is F@#$ing awesome....

5. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

I don't mind the hyped up colors and think the cinematography looks very crisp. I know that the story and mood are very bleak, and I think the setting helps reinforce that, but I bet anything if George Miller could have made them all look like this he would have. He just has more tools at his disposal to translate the vision onto film. I thought everything about it looked very thoughtful in regards to the source material and its not like they brought in some hack to reboot the trilogy.

6. wankerness

I just hate the teal and orange thing that's gotten so pervasive since Transformers, it looks like crap and is going to date movies from this decade so badly. Even technicolor movies from the 1940s look more natural than computer-color-graded stuff from the last 15 years, it's bizarre.

Apparently the plot is about trying to keep the hot ladies away from the bandits, cause they'd be an incredibly valuable commodity in this world. I guess that is acceptable. As seen in the world of Road Warrior/Thunderdome, any attractive woman either just got raped and murderered, or turned into an uberbadass (ex, football pads girl in Road Warrior or Tina Turner) that was also surrounded by allies in a fortress of sorts away from the outback. Which makes sense, considering the society mostly consists of roving gangs of psycho roided up freaks in tricked out vehicles that go around killing anyone weaker :p

I love what they've done with Charlize Theron here, she looks completely in place in the universe instead of obligatory action movie eye candy.

Some commentary I read somewhere else was that this looked like George Miller's pent-up insanity that's been building since 1985 (the last time he got to make an action movie) and that this should be completely unhinged.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I really liked the feel of the first two films, and so I forgave Thunderdome for being big budget. The first two had what looked like found and scavenged materials, while Thunderdome was (imho) like a scimitars-and-sandals fantasy movie with a veneer of Mad Max on top.

Two things kind of took me out of the trailer: How plentiful firearms still seem to be, and, given the state of technology/society at that point, the huge intact tires on that dune buggy.

I think that Gibson lost much (all?) of his box office appeal when he went off the rails.

----

I'm going to wait until this thing has a solid rating on Rotten Tomatoes before I risk my money on it....

8. wankerness

Thunderdome and Road Warrior look very similar to me, I guess I never thought about the budget difference there. Obviously Road Warrior's was a lot bigger than Mad Max's, cause Mad Max came out of nowhere and was a huge international hit, but Thunderdome being huge budget?

Apparently Thunderdome's was 12 million USD, while Road Warrior's was 4.5 million (Australia dollars, and back then australian dollars were worth more than USD so it was more like 5 million USD). That's proportionally a huge increase, but still pretty cheap. I see Bartertown as being a big step up from anything we see in Road Warrior, but everything else looks equally as "crappy" to me! Both of those movies are incredibly visionary and really stretched their budgets. Also, they've both been ripped off to death and still are regularly. Even wildly popular stuff today owes a MASSIVE debt to those two movies, ex Fallout and Borderlands. I still do kinda wish Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome had simply been Mad Max: Thunderdome cause those kids are pretty shitty, but hey, the last chase scene is still killer and the first half of the movie alone solidifies it as a classic of the genre.

9. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

What I like about the trailer is the grit. Mad Max and The Road Warrior were both pretty gritty movies, but The Road Warrior started to have a little campiness creep into the store. When I saw Beyond Thunderdome the campiness was trumped up, which is why it is MY least favorite. The new one does not have any signs of letting up, and I welcome the return to the serious tone and grit that the first 1 1/2 movies delivered.

Also, for ripping off several Mad Max plot elements, the Fallout series made me appreciate the movies a lot more. :yesway:

10. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

No Humongous, no care...:lol:

[​IMG]

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    BTW, this topic had me dig out my old copy of Car Wars. Anyone else here ever love the Autoduel games?

skeels likes this.
  12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes, I have the game but unfortunately, I was too young to really enjoy it. The technical side of the game really confused me at the time. I still have the game and its map additions/compendium somewhere in my garage.

On the friendlier side of gaming, I also had Thunder Road the board game. As you can see on the cover of the game box, it is heavily inspired by "The Road Warrior" movie. :cool:

13. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Looks great. I definitly want to see that :) I don't even care about that orange&teal stuff. It looked a lot less obvious than the crap in the newest Hobbit trailer where even every bit of dirt on Bilbo's face looks like it's been polished to hell and back. A lot more real, not this ultra-shiny & hilariously oversaturated colors computer game look a lot of other movies sadly have. Well, the colors might might not be exactly realistic in the trailer, but at least it seems to serve the mood/setting of the movie.

14. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Dlisted | And Here’s The Burning Man-Approved Trailer For “Mad Max: Fury Road”

I agree with this.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'm so excited about this! I grew up watching these films and playing Fallout 1/2 so I'm a huge fan of the style and environment.

From the quick clips I'm very optimistic that Tom Hardy will nail Mel Gibson's portrayal of Max. The costumes and cars look awesome.

9 1/2 months to go!

16. wankerness

New trailer, looks awesome :D

17. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

The first movie resonates with me the most. One of the things I like about it is that the loonieness of the gang is pretty toned down compared to the post apocalyptic chaos of the sequels, making it feel like less of a fantastic adventurous spectacle, but more like a gritty action movie. Another element I like is the car stunts... there's something a little too James Bond about the sequel in comparison. So I'm not super optimistic about the direction that trailer took. Still, it's a reboot I'll actually watch, and I don't feel that it will do any disservice to the original.

That was my first time noticing the Greek graffiti at the beginning of the original, btw. Pretty hilarious troll by whoever snuck that in!

18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

It does.

George Miller is the original master director of car violence!!!!! :metal:

Trailer looks good but I don't think any action scene in the whole Mad Max series will beat the scene in which Mel Gibson runs his car headfirst at full speed into the bikers on the bridge in the first Mad Max movie (1979). I thought Dirty Harry's rules of justice was awesome but Mad Max takes it too the next level. Max didn't even turn on his car sirens when he hit the bikers. Dirty Harry as least gives warning and says, "Freeze!" :lol:

Possibly the most painful practical effect I have ever seen in a movie. :eek::eek::eek:
    [​IMG]

19. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I usually watch vids with a bud on Saturday night, at his place. He usually skips the trailers. When Fury Road came on, I made him watch it. He's really looking forward to it. He actually said that it looked like a remake of Road Warrior, but he's alright with that, since he likes the apparently higher production values. And Road Warrior is one of his top 10 favourite movies of all time.

20. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I used to be a charter member of the local AADA group, the Beertown Boys!
    you have brought me much happiness with this cherished memory!

"there has been too much violence.. Too much pain!"