Machine Head - Slanderous - COVER

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Loco, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Hello from Spain.
    I share with you another full cover project. A cover for the song "SLANDEROUS" by MACHINE HEAD.
    Everything created by me. No backing track sounding.
    100% made by me in Drop A tuning. Original is Drop B

- All Guitar Recording (SCHECTER KM7). Flynn/Demmel are one of the best couple of guitarists in metal.
    - Bass and Drums midi programming.
    - Mixing and Mastering.

All constructive feedback are wellcome.
    I hope you like it. THANK YOU.

All my covers in my channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ferlocodeath

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That sound isn't my cup of tea. Not sure if you were doing your own thing, rather than staying faithful to the style of the original, but the guitar tone to me is way off. The original tone is classic boosted 5150, with a lot of bite and presence, but also quite a tight and defined low end.

Drop A also doesn't suit the song IMO. The note definition in the main riff (bouncing off the low A) is kinda lost in your version. The original is actually closer to Drop C# than B, since Machine Head use something other than 440. So you're tuned quite a lot lower.

The drums sound.. ok. Snare is quite nice. Kick is a bit muddy during the busy parts. The cymbals and hats are horrible IMO, super sibilant and tinny. They're also kinda out there in the mix all by themselves since the guitars don't have much high end sizzle.

The bass is hard to hear, but it definitely sounds like MIDI. It also sounds to me like maybe it's not doing the palm muted double chugs which happen throughout the song, so the guitar stops and the bass continues for a bit afterwards.

The guitar solo is well played, but the tone sounds like it's miles away - way too much reverb and chorus effect? And the second guitar sounds almost like a keyboard or organ because it's so effects-laden.

Korneo likes this.
  3. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thanks for listening. All opinions are wellcome

4. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

Nice cover man, I enjoyed it. Definitely not an easy song to play

5. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot my friend for your kind words.
    Demmel/Flynn, really guitar gods!!!