M-Audio Audiophile USB 2496

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Chris, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I'm still on the fence about it.

The interface itself is slick. Installs pretty easy if you pay attention, though by default Windows installs the MIDI channels as ASIO 3/4 instead of Midi (and doesn't prompt you, so you have to manually install them).

Latency: Runs well around 2ms.

USB: Runs great IF it's the only thing on that channel. For instance, if I plug it into my onboard USB (which my keyboard and an external hard drive share), it's snap crackle pop. I had to put it on it's own PCI USB card, but after that it's clean.

Now here's the catch. The thing is advertised as 24/96. And it runs at 24/96. But ONLY if you only use the In, and send the outs somewhere else. The USB 1.0 interface on it isn't fast enough to handle full duplex, so if you want to run it 24/96, you need to only use the input on it, and use (for example) a stock soundcard as the out.

Which would be all well and good - aside from the fact that it drops out like a bastard even with just the in running, and needs really high latency to even work.

So if 16/48 is ok with you, This thing's good. If you want 24/96, go somewhere else, because plainly - it sucks.

Bottom line: I'll be eBaying mine and picking up something that'll do true 2496 instead of M-Audio's shady interpretation of it. They aren't falsely advertising it, since it does run 24/96, but it runs like total shit.

[​IMG]

2. Vince

Vince Contributor

So, have you trashed this thing yet, Chris?

3. bigsethmeister

bigsethmeister Moooosician

Good review. I've considered one of these but would not have known about these issues until I bought it. Thanks!!

4. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Go for the 24/96 PCI card. Big improvement.

5. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Amen to that! I have one and it works really well for me.

6. Freddie

Freddie aka zEr0

Forgive my ignorance guys, but isn't it the same to just plug the amp or mic into the line-in that comes with every computer nowadays?

:scratch:

7. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Heh, this reminds me of the firewire vs. USB discussion. :)

The built in soundcards on PC's are not pro quality for audio recording. They are usually low end crappy cards solely for playback. With those sound cards you'll be luckly if you can get it down to 10ms latency. Most of them won't go under 22ms without crackling and popping. Also, the input on those built in cards are simple 1/8" stereo jacks. If you use a converter you can record 1/4" into it but over time the extra weight from the extension jack and the cable pulling down on it will break the jack. Also, there's no built in preamp and they usually don't do 24bit or higher KHZ ratings like 96khz or 192khz. Oh, and the A/D D/A converters on them usually suck. There's a lot more to it but that's a quick general bit of info.

Rev.

8. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

Hey Chris,

Hows the drivers for your unit? I'm using an original Audiophile Firewire, and the drivers are a little buggy, I think. If I don't turn the box on first before I boot up, it often refuses to load or recognize the box otherwise. But sometimes it will. strange. :scratch:
    Good fast card otherwise, with almost no latency.

9. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

I 100% agree, the internal is fantastic and ran it full duplex at 96kHz!!! THe external box IS A DOG because it's not directly on the PCI! Trust us and don't waste your time with external versions...they are far too limited.

BTW my MAudio 2496 PCI card is for sale 50$ PM if interested.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

This is completey normal with Firewire. I have a Mackie Onyx 1220 and Mackie's instructions are to turn on the mixer before booting the PC or it won't show up and I've tested this and it's correct.

Rev.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I just leave my Firewire 410 on all the time - problem solved. ;)

12. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

The drivers sucked. I ended up eBaying it.