\m/ Abominodium \m/

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Ryan, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Ryan, your stuff is coo' (as always). The lyrics were pretty sweet too (I love lyrics like that). A few of my songs have similar lyrical content, but if I post up one of my band's songs, you'll just have to figure out the lyrics by yourself. ;)

Ryan = cool :cool:

Ryan likes this.
  2. alvaro

alvaro ... dat chugga

Awesome!

3. Shaman

Shaman SS.org Regular

That was great. I really like your growling, you don't really sound like anybody else.

The song was awesome too :metal:

4. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

@ Naren: Yah, i like those lyrics that tell a story, or a depiction of a journey.
    I have another song called Passage to Eternity which is about a dying man's trip to Niflheim. These lyrics might be my favorite so far, cause i actually researched the content in Humanities 130 (mythology).. so its true to beliefe. (And i didnt even have to make them DM or any more brutal, as the actual Old Norse myths were pleanty brutal as is lol) The recording quality isnt as good as this one but its in the member jukebox if you wanna check it out ;D
    ..and this tune has been reworked on a 7 string now, its just awaiting vocals like Ancient Spires was..

@ Shaman: Thanks man! (just dont go listen to Severed Savior and I'll still be original :/ :lol:) Someone compared my vocals to him, but I'm not so sure about it..

5. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Whenever I do vocals I sound kind of like whatever I last listened to you, you guys ever notice that?

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Nah, i sound the same no matter what ive just listened to ;p

7. Naren

I sound the same every time I sing a certain song, but from song to song, my vocal style is completely different. In my band, I have some death metal vocals on a bunch of songs, some thrash metal vocals on some songs, some clean vocals on some songs, etc. But I'm persistant in using the same vocal style(s) for one song every time I sing (some songs might have 3 different vocal styles in them). ;)

Yeah, I like lyrics that are interesting. I have one song about a guy with a dual-personality disorder who is slowly being taken over by the violent personality. I have a few songs based off of horror stories (HP Lovecraft is the man). I have one written about Raou from "Hokuto no Ken" ("Fist of the North Star" - an insanely violent martial arts comic from the 1980s). And I have another song that sounds like it's about the end of the world (I have no idea what it's really about. :lol:)

Songs about mythology are sweet too. :metal:

Your "passage to eternity" lyrics are pretty cool. Some parts of it remind me of lyrics for one of my songs.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

1.) Solo?

2.) Not a huge DM fan, but this is fun. :)

3.) Lose the Line6 whatever-the fuck-you-plugged-into

4.) how the fuck do you get your voice that deep, anyway? :lol:

9. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

Badass dude! And I'll second Drew's notion for a solo.

Awesome tone, too :metal:

10. Lamb

Lamb SS.org Regular

Nice man, I'm usually not into stuff this brutal but it was good! How'd you go about tracking the vocals? Any FX on them?

11. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

1 - I still havent figured out a solo style that would compliment my music hehe

2 - Good, thanks ;D

3 - I love my PODxt. (And i cant afford an ENGL lol)

4 - :lol: My voice actually isnt that deep in DM standards.. There are vocalists out there that make me sound pre-pubescent.

See:
    http://myspace.com/disgorge (the song loads in the BG)
    http://www.myspace.com/severedsavior (the vocalist i was compared to, see Fecalphiliac)
    http://www.myspace.com/138devourment138 (pretty shite quality)

I recorded with a Samson Condenser using a soft pre to get the gain levels appropriate for recording. Then i had 4 tracks for vocals:

#1 is lead vocals
    #2 is lead doubled (and i sang the parts all over again instead of copy/paste)
    I panned the #1 and #2 about 15% L and R
    #3 is backing vocals Left channel 100%
    #4 is backing vocals Right channel 100%

After i laid all the vox down i compressed them with a 5:1 and Exapnded below 1.3:1 and below.
    Thresholds at -24db. Of course these will be different with your mix.
    Then a boost @ 12db to bring them up to level. No reverb or delay. With 4 tracks it'll get mooshy.
    Then i just mixed then into the music. FIN. :lol:

12. Naren

Wow. You said this a second before I was going to post this exact same thing. :lol: I was about to say, "Drew, most brutal death metal is a lot lot deeper than that. In fact, by death metal standards, Ryan isn't low at all."

Personally I prefer the vocal range you're singing in over the extremely loooooow stuff.

Wow. That guy does sound like you! :eek:

13. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

I think your POD fits this stuff really well, Ryan. Drew's Pink Polo organic tone is certifiably NON-death metal. :lol:

Yeah, Ryan's voice isn't low at all for Death Metal. Check out that band Ken and Toshiro always rave about, D - Demilich.

14. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

speaking of low vocals, you inspired me to just do some random shit, so here you go, something to listen to and laugh at because that's what I'm doing: http://media.putfile.com/DEJ915-lol-vox :lol:

15. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

Wow they sound pretty cool, their writing reminds me somehting of Extol. But those vox are kinda :squint: hehe

@ :tdw: - yah thats what i was thinking, i'd LOVE a vetta II, i bet i could make some sweet DM tones with that bad monkey.

edit: @ DEJ - LOL that was fuking black metal'd out manG!
    [​IMG]

16. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

I'm like dying laughing over here :lol: the best part is at 5-6 seconds where there's just this random lowness.

as for the lowness thing, all that low crap is my voice...I can go down to like ~40Hz at the lowest

17. Naren

I thought so too. I have no idea what Drew was rambling on about with his "Lose the Line6 whatever-the fuck-you-plugged-into" nonsense.

18. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

:lol:

19. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

Maybe he's a tube snob? Nothing wrong with Line 6, you just gotta know how to use it.

20. Naren

And Ryan clearly does. ;)