Lyric videos for bands

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Mraz, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Hey,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right topic (if not, I ask the moderatos to kindly move it to the right place), but I know there are a lot of bands and band members in here and I'm sure some of them want a lyric video to go with their new song/release!

So... I am doing those and well if any band wants them they can contact me via PM or just simply shoot me a mail via my website =)
    http://13thnemesisfilms.com

I also do other business presentations and videos if someone is interested!

:hbang:

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

When it comes to economy music videos, I would rather watch rehearsal footage put to the studio track any day of the week

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Do you do music videos, too?

4. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

Rehearsal videos would be cool I think much better than lyric videos.

5. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Yes, I do.

I agree on that, but not a lot of bands like to do that for whatever reason and well lyric videos have become quite popular.. =)

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I would theorize that lyric videos are popular right now for two reasons-

- They're can be cheap/easy to produce relative to a full music video.

- Lots of people don't actually care about the video, it's just another device to deliver the audio that people want to hear, and it's an excuse to have the song on youtube for free. In other words, if someone wants to hear a song, they might just go to youtube first to see if someone has uploaded it- so if people are doing that anyway, the lyric video provides you an opportunity to turn it into an intentional piece of marketing (same as a music video), as opposed to having your audience land on the inevitable illegal upload making ad money off of your work instead.

7. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Cheap..? Cheaper than a full blown video, yes...
    Easy? Not really if you want to make it look good. They take quite a lot of work tbh.. I don't mean the simple background and text overlay.. I mean full blown background animation, camera shifts etc..

Example of my work (Trailer):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujx4Q3HXsc

In this video EVERYTHING is CUSTOM.. The planet at the start, the space scene, it has been all done by me, those are not pictures taken from the web..

And of course, videos are a market tool.. And I know for a fact that people enjoy watching lyric videos, since they can also sing/growl along.. That's at least the feedback I got.
    But as it is with everything.. to each his own.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I stand by what I said. And it wasn't a reflection of anything you posted, cause I didn't watch any of it yet. Yes, a lyric video is cheaper than a full music video most of the time. And yes, a lyric video *can be* easy to put together- arguably anyone with $70 for creative cloud, and some time to learn it, can throw together a decent lyric video- it probably won't blow anyone away, but it's doable. That's not to say a pro can't do a much better job, and I'm making no argument about the value of hiring a pro to do the job right, and it doesn't mean there isn't a lot of work involved - but a lot of work doesn't mean the same as "difficult to do".

9. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I don't think many metal bands are particularly well served by this current trend for lyric videos.

At least when the lyrics were mainly unintelligible there was always the possibility that they were nothing more than a load of juvenile toss, but at least you didn't know for sure.

10. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

My band's instrumental, can you work with that??

Sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not. I've seen some pretty visually interesting lyric videos.

11. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Sure it is easy to do a bad one..

But for example to do this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb5z5AULWCw

It takes time to learn and you have to have the plugins (which aren't cheap at all - bane of my existence tbh haha)

Of course if the lyrics are BS, no video can help it hah :D

12. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Sure! (best to PM or e-mail me)
    I enjoy doing all kinds of bands and stuff..
    I even did a live background for a DJ that goes with his set!
    (parts moving to beats, shapes appearing and disappearing etc)

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Don't take any of what I'm saying as criticism. It just is what it is.

It's no different than any other form of art or expression. I mean it in the sense that anyone can download reaper and mix an album for next to nothing - it might not sound good, but they can technically do it. It's equally legit to say that if someone invested the time, they could probably come out with acceptable results.

Don't get me wrong, I've done a rush job on a lyric video before, and yeah, it turned out pretty terrible, and I'd have gladly payed someone to do a better job if I had to do it again on a time constraint. Same could go for album mixing. :lol:

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread, was just thinking out loud about why there's a lot of lyric videos out there right now.

14. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

No worries, dude! =) It is a forum, we are all here to express, promote and share our opinions, GAS, music and work around!

It is just like when people say:"oh you can photoshop that easily" but the fact it, to do a good job, it takes time to learn the in and outs and of course the tricks of the software itself..
    But sure, after some time you can learn it, I learned it myself too, it took time to get into it and get into all the little secrets no one wants to reveal etc

15. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

lyric videos are sooooo cringey though

16. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Depends on the lyrics...

17. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

As a video editor / designer myself... lyric videos are easy to do. Making them look good requires knowledge around design, yes, but that's it. If you know your stuff, you won't have any creative difficulties to do one.

I'm not talking about OP, just about lyric videos in general.

18. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Of course, for us it is 'easy'.. The preparation and camera work takes the most time.. Since I like my camera to follow the words and not just write out a whole sentence :D

But I agree, if you know your stuff, you get into that workflow and it just goes on from there..

As in lyric videos being cringy.. I have to agree with Science_Penguin; it depends on the lyrics..

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO I sort of think of lyric videos as being a variety of music video - there's tons of room there to blur the lines between the two types of video and do some really creative stuff outside of just playing with animations and type, etc. I see no reason a lyric video couldn't have a story, characters, scenes, etc. Or alternatively, why you couldn't start from a traditional music video and find ways to embed the lyrics in it - you'd get a dual purpose music + lyrics video, I guess? You're definitely talking about a much bigger and more expensive production at that point, but so would be any other big creative endeavor.

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, okay...

I can make a power point of text and put my lyrics in the presentation and set it to music. If I copy/paste my lyrics from my liner notes or whatever, then, yeah, that process would take maybe 15 minutes.

But, on the other hand, I could walk by a guitar and my pant leg could brush against the strings and I could say that I play guitar.

Or, I could say E=mc² and tell you that I know the Theory of General Relativity.

Anything can be half assed or done well. If Bob Ross said he "threw a painting together," it probably looked a hundred times better than anything I'd ever paint in my lifetime.