LTD MH-417

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Moolaka, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

Price: $649 w/o case.

Features:4
    One tone knob & one volume, plus the three way toggle. I started playing on a Les Paul style with these controls and I don't really need anything else, in fact, I prefer it to my Jackson SLSMG's sliding switch. A second volume would be handy for silencing but as I said, for me, not needed.
    The tuners are black Grovers non-locking, non-trimming. They work for me and I don't like locking tuners because of the hassle.

Sound: 4.5
    I've run it through a couple of different small amps and it always sounds a lot like Nevermore. I don't sound like Jeff Loomis but this guitar makes me wish I knew some of their songs. It's got a pretty brutal tone. The p.u. are EMG 81-7(b) and EMG 707(n). From what I can tell the 81-7 is a normal 81 for seven strings and the 707 sounds like a 85 with tighter lows. They sound better than the normal ones in my opinion. They also look better without any p.u. rings and pretty much match the color and finish. The cleans sound compartitively mellow, it's that EMG 81 tone but just a little more even low-mids/high-bass range. I'll give it a 4 because I just plain haven't explored and tweaked and matched it to a good amp and cranked it.

Action, Fit and Finish: 4.5
    The finish is a velvet black, I think it's actually called black satin. I would have preferred a clear coated version but I'm fine with the black. To it's credit here it doesn't show fingerprints as easily.
    The neck is neck-thru-body and has a rosewood fretboard, mine's pretty dark and looks like ebony and I've seen ones that are pretty light as well. The back of the neck matches the body, satin black. I think it's a lot more comfortable than gloss, it seems like it has more predictable and even resistance moving up, down, back, and forth. Here, I love that finish. 24 XJ frets, 25.5 scale, thin U contour.
    The action was factory set and low. I got some fret buzz when I dropped it down a step so if you'll do the same buy a set of 10's or above (might be where that Nevermore tone is coming from) if you wanna get brutal with your murdered out guitar.

Reliability: I've owned a bunch of LTD 400's and a couple 1000's and I never had a single problem with them. This guitar feels tough, you could easily beat somebody to death with it. It has been my experience for many years that LTD's under $1k are worth Jacksons well over that cost. Most of it comes from the electronics, the jack and everything else looks like it was done by a person that knew what they were doing. The three Jackson's I've owned and the one I still own have had or has problems with it's pot switches, sliding switches and the jacks.

Overall: 4.5 (Yea, I rounded up) I am really diggin on this guitar in my free time, I've only had it for a little while. Yea, I don't like the satin finish on the body, but I love it on the neck. And yea, the toggle switch can't be set as a kill switch but I'd rather have it than a slider.
    I don't mean to pick on Jacksons, it's really the only comparison I have to make in the reliability category. I love my SLSMG and I do think it's a better guitar than this one but I do not think it is more reliable. For $649 this is a great value.

Sunlit pic of body and upper frets (shows finish well)
    http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1580/sunp0001j.jpg
    Pic of the action of the 7th string at the 12th fret.
    http://a.imageshack.us/img571/554/sunp0004.jpg
    Videos comming soon.

2. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Thanks for the review, I was waiting for a review on one of these.

I think I'll pick one up now :yesway::)

3. Invader

Invader 97.5 The Brodeo

Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about getting one of these. Could you post pics? I've yet to see proper pictures of one.

4. Matt-Hatchett

Matt-Hatchett SS.org Regular

I had one on order for 7 months. I ended up canceling it and getting and 8. Post some pics for us!

5. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

I'll get some pics up soon, thanks.

6. Scar Symmetry

Yeah, pics would be great, especially of the action and upper fret access.

7. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Sweet, I've been waiting one a review for one of these for a while. :D :yesway:

8. DMONSTER

DMONSTER SS.org Dweller

Cool, been waitin for a review of one of these, pics would be nice i agree :)

9. Scar Symmetry

10. 5tograma

5tograma SS.org Regular

11. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

if the links stop working tell me.

12. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

Aight, pics are up.

13. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

14. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Sweet pics, man! Thanks! :D :metal:

15. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy my first 7 string and have my heart set on this one. Only problem is no stores stock it so I haven't been able to jam on it yet. I recently played the Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and found the neck a little fat, as I have relatively small hands. I was just wondering how the neck on the 417 compares, if anyone has played both?

Thanks

16. ChristopherMA

ChristopherMA SS.org Regular

Nice review. I'm optioning this one over the SC-207. It would be nice to find one used...

17. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

My SLSMG's neck is super thin and pretty wide, for me the width was not a problem to aclimate to but if you've played RG's your whole life then it might be. It's gonna feel different compared to any 6 string, compared to the c-7 I'm betting it's more comfortable for smaller hands because I found the c-7 uncomfortable back in '08.

I didn't play mine at all before I bought it (was on my lunch break) and was really stressed out about it until I sat down and spent a few hours with it. I recomend playing it before you buy it though, I felt like an idiot for not even though it paid off.

18. Ericbrujo

Ericbrujo Music has no rules

Is it Korean Made ?

19. Invader

Invader 97.5 The Brodeo

edit:nevermind, I missread.

20. seven deadly sins

seven deadly sins SS.org Regular

any videos done?