Ltd Esp V-50 vs Bc Rich Mk1 Jv

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Reignerrr, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

wich guitar is better? and better for downtuning to D or C?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

At that price point, flip a coin.

Either could be rubbish or a gem.

Go with the one you like the aesthetics of the most and see what shows up. Make sure to buy from a place with a decent return policy. If you do get a dud, exchange it.

All said, what have you tried out in person? Did you like or dislike anything?

3. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

no i didn't try them, the problem that both aren't in the same store and in some stores the idiots of the employees doesn't let you try guitars, they just want to sell, there are really shitty customer service here

4. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

a good friend has an mk1 warlock 7 string and it plays surprisingly well. havent played it plugged in so i cant speak on tone but first impressions seemed solid.

5. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

At that price range, I'm guessing you're a new guitarist?

Honestly, even playing one when you're brand new won't tell you much, they'll all feel just as alien in your hands. My experiences with both brands are on the upper ends (ESP Standards and LTD 400s and 1000s [the old MIK ones, not the new MII ones] and USA BC Riches), but within that experience, both have pretty similar neck shapes (the ESP Thin U is a bit flatter and more "shoulder-y" than the BC Rich, but otherwise similar). Both will sound poor because they'll have cheap pickups. If you can get a salesman to at least let you look at them, look for obvious gaps in the neck pocket; there won't be much of a difference in brand quality at this level, but there will be differences in individual instruments, and you want one with a tight neck pocket.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

As you are new to the forum, let me give you some advice that many of us repeatedly chant any time there's a discussion of guitar shopping on a budget: buy used

For the price of a new entry-level import guitar off the shelf, you'll be able to find one in good enough condition that someone probably has already upgraded the pickup and they'll probably give away the gig bag or case with it.

-50 level LTD guitars on the used market are often 100$ or less. That BC Rich MK1 JRV is going for around $300, right? $300 on the used/second-hand import market is humongous. You can get -400 or maybe even -1000 level LTD instead of a -50 level. As an example, I sold my Viper-400 with EMG pickups in the hardshell case for 300$ just a month ago.

----

As far as downtuning, that has less to do with the guitar and more to do with your strings. You'll find many, many threads on this forum asking about string tension when detuning your guitar. Some people here say that a longer scale helps detuning, and I agree with that but only if you're after either a specific tone or a very, very low note... but either way both of the guitars your looking at have pretty normal scale lengths and either one would handle drop D or C perfectly fine.

7. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I've had experience with the LTD v 50. I thought it was a pretty good guitar for $200. The neck was comfy for me, but I didn't like the big square neck joint. That's just me. I'd go for the ltd.

EDIT: I had mine in drop B and stand C most of the time using D'addario .12-.60 strings if that helps