Lowering action on acoustic piezo bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by guitaardvark, Jan 19, 2015.

1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

So the action on this ovation is ridiculous and I need to lower it, and in the past I have gone the easy way and files down the bridge. I took off the saddle and found this piezo pickup system. Is it safe to file the saddle and still have it make contact and work? Thanks in advance.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AV532ODWsPam8i (Pictures)

2. jarnozz

jarnozz Let´s Get Wasted!

Put some double sided tspe on a flat surface ans d stick some sandpaper on it. Gently sand the bottom of the bridge nut. This is the only good way to lower your action. Sand a bit of, put it back on and test if it feels better. It has to be 100% straight for the piezo to work properly!

3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

Yep, what he said. Make sure to keep it flat!

4. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

If you're worried about those "fingers" for note separation then you can just file those deeper after you've lowered the whole thing. Careful with the treble side.

I'd suggest drawing the notch on the outer risers onto the sides with a pencil so you can recreate those notches afterwards. I feel their "hugging" nature helps transfer the vibrations to the piezo pickup.