Looper Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Skyblue, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, help a pedal newbie out:

I want to buy myself a looper pedal for home playing only. I was thinking about the Looper Ditto.
    I never bought a pedal before so I just wanted to be sure about a few things-
    Do I need anything besides the pedal itself and another cable? I simply plug it amp -> (cable) -> Looper -> (cable) -> guitar?
    Will it work on my bass guitar as well? any modifications needed?

Any other information I should know regarding looper pedals?

Thanks in advance!

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

You got it. Just watch a quick YouTube tutorial on the ditto so you know how to add, pause, erase etc. very simple to use

3. thraxil

thraxil cylon

You will also need a power supply for it (a 1-spot would do to start) if you don't already have one.

4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Check out the electro harmonics 720 looper too

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've got a Ditto X2 Looper and enjoy it. The second footswitch for a dedicated "stop" function is a lot easier to use than the single button version

6. Laimon

Laimon SS.org Regular

You most likely don't wanna do that, but rather

guitar -> cable -> amp -> amp send -> cable -> looper -> cable -> amp return

If you put the looper in front of the amp and start stacking tracks, you will drive the amp more than you actually want, generating a huge mess. Also, you want be able to use different sounds for different tracks, cause you'll be recording the dry signals and then applying the same tone to the whole.

7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The Ditto is an easy to use looper.
    The only thing I'd point out is that some loopers have rhythm guides as well (drum sounds etc) which I personally find very useful to practise timing. I think the Ditto doesn't have that feature (I use a Boss RC-2, which has been replaced by a Boss RC-3 now).
    Depending on what your main aim is with the looper, you might want to compare features a bit more.

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

It's not necessarily a problem, more a matter of preference and what the OP is looking to do with the looper, I'd say.

9. Laimon

Laimon SS.org Regular

Yeah, not necessarily, but like 98% of the time he will want that - and as the OP seems to be quite new to loopers, he should probably be warned.
    But good advise on the rhythm guides, I also find them priceless. In that regard I would heartily recommend a Digitech Jamman stereo, if it weren't for the lack of true bypass and MIDI control it'd be the perfect looper for me.

10. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

Your understanding for hook up is correct.

If you can afford it I'd hands down suggest a Jamman looper with storage. I've tried them all from the Akai Headrush 2 (Russian Circles), EHX 22500, Boss RC30 and I ended up with the Jamman Stereo delay but I'd suggest the Jamman Stereo looper, much cheaper with out the delay features.

If you always want to rerecord what your doing with out any permanent memory needed, get the ditto, if you want memory for whatever reasons, like myself don't mess around and get a Jamman with memory.

If you really want to push the $$$$ get a boomerang or pigtronix loopers.