Looking to upgrade from my detuned 6

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by nightendday, Sep 28, 2011.

1. nightendday

nightendday SS.org Regular

First off, my first post here, I'm mike. Nice to meet all of you. This place seems to have a rather ridiculous amount of information, so I'm looking forward to my stay here. :hbang::shred:

Now, My current guitar is a peavey hp sig series, It's tuned in AEADF#B. My string gauges are 14-68, and I play mostly doom metal, though I would love to learn tosin abasi's playing style. I REALLY want to extend the range of the doom band, and I felt an 8 would do that quite well. I don't have alot to spend, so I was looking at an Agile intrepid. What scale would you choose? And keep in mind i don't have the longest fingers and I'm only 5'8.
    :bowdown::bowdown:

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

What tuning you looking to go for?

3. nightendday

nightendday SS.org Regular

Well, here is my question to you... I'm looking to add girth to existing songs in the tuning I just described, what 2 note would those extra 2 strings be? I mean just adding onto AEADF#B

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Well, there you have 6 string drop D, tuned down.
    Drop A on a 7 string is actually AEADGBE, just adding a low A to standard. So you could tune the G string to F# if it makes you more comfortable with your songs, and add the high E string. I only mention a high string because you mentioned 8 strings, though more girth implies you want low strings.

If you're in AEADGBE, the next lowest string to make sense is either E or D. I wouldn't go lower than that.

If I were you I'd either get a 7 for E/D AEAD F#/G B
    or an 8, for the above tuning with a high E string.

The double EAEA tuning is nice. Allows you to move any E or A string riffs down an octave, and also gives you standard power chord shapes on the bottom two strings.
    Dropping the low E to D is an awesome tuning. Basically 5ths tuning on the first few strings. You get one finger powerchords across the low D-A, and across the A-E. Combine them with some standard chord shapes and you get some really nice voicings.

I'd go for 28.625" to tune anywhere below F#. I would suggest 30" if you hadn't said about your small fingers.