Looking to get a new 7 string, need advice

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Krystof, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Krystof

Krystof SS.org Regular

Hi, I have been looking at a couple of 7 strings recently, but unable to decide which one should I go for. I don't have any particular specs in mind but would prefer something with 25.5" scale rather than a 26.5er based on my previous experience with 7s. Forearm contour is also a must. No budget currently set but below $1000 new would be the best.

These are the guitars I am looking at and my thoughts on them:
    SBMM JP157-NBL - looks perfect on paper but I can't seem to dial the JPX I had with my amp (Blackstar HT-60 w a pair of WGS speakers)

ESP/LTD KS-M7 - quite curious with the Fishmans/Evertune as I have not tried any of those, quite a looker too.

Schecter KM7
    - would be perfect sans the 26.5" scale.

Schecter C-7 Multiscale SLS Elite
    - only had a brief run with a multiscale Aries 7 but that was fun to play and this one is not out yet.

Jackson Pro Soloist HT7 - also great on paper but a bit expensive feature wise compared to the rest.

Other suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I have a Sterling JP70 I picked up for like $400 new. It’s WAY better than that price point would lead you to believe. I actually dove into the proper EBMM and picked up a JP7 because of how good the Sterling was.

I’m an ESP/LTD fanboy and the KS7 looks fantastic, but the blank fretboard would bother me $0.02. May not affect you. Feature wise it’s in my opinion the most impressive on your list.

The fanned fret Schecter is the one I’d wait for if you were dead set on fanned frets.

No real comments on the rest as spec/feature wise they don’t seem up your alley.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

That Ken Susi guitar looks filthy. I'm sure you would love it. The Korn guy has an LTD sig that is very similar too.

Tech Wrath likes this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

7-strings at rondomusic.com are nice affordable but good alternatives.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

wait and try the schecter multi scale. or try a jackson slat7ff

6. Krystof

Krystof SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. Found a deal for this Washburn Solar 7and went with it.

[​IMG]

7. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Hrmm... no offence but I can't understand how a 7-string guitarist can't stand a baritone scale? For me I found it to be an absolute must, actually...

Thanks,
    WintermintP

8. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

My vote is for the Schecter KM7. But I'm biased I love Schecters.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a 25.5" 7 string, and a 26.5" 7 string. I tend to prefer the 25.5" guitar, because it is easier to play. I have small hands, so the 26.5" can cramp my hand after awhile. The 26.5" does have a deeper sound though.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I know, it's weird, right? It's almost as if someone has different preferences.

ElRay likes this.
  11. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Ah. Because of the small hands. It technically makes sense, but wouldn't lower tunings (Drop G, F, etc) actually require a baritone scale? Or can it be done with a 25.5 scale but it's just a little more difficult?

WintermintP

12. diagrammatiks

I still don't get what small hands have to do with anything. Just gotta shift your play style a little bit.

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I dont know why it would be any more difficult. Just use larger strings, and dedicate a guitar to that tuning. I have 2 different Ibanez guitars (one 6 string, one 7 string), tuned in A with 9-54, or 10-59 strings, that I will drop tune to G sometimes. The guitars still work. It is not like they suddenly break and fall apart once you cross that B line, lol.

Actually, I keep my 26.5" guitar in B, and my 25.5" guitar in A, which sounds backwards, but they just sound better that way.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

They do when the way you have to shift your wrist to reach the top string causes you to have wrist pain, to the point where it stops you from playing guitar at all for weeks, and puts you in wrist braces.

I can play guitars like that for short periods of time (I even have a 6 string bass which puts any guitar neck width to shame), but I cant play it very much, or for very long. It is just a novelty thing that is fun every once in awhile.

15. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I owned the Ken Susi model and it was a really cool guitar that played well and sounded nice. The only problem I had was that there was a severe lack of sustain on the upper frets for me no matter what I tried. I don't know if that problem was exclusive to the one I owned.

The Merrow and the Soloist are going to be solid as hell. I've had both and I loved them. Mine were both FR models, but if the build quality is the same on the hardtails I'd have no problem recommending one of those.

Possible at all to play any of these before you buy? Sorry if that has already been asked/answered.

16. Konfyouzd

Do you do stretches before playing? I know that may sound like a silly question but it honestly can help. :agreed:

17. diagrammatiks

I feel like that has more to do with joint and muscle issues. you should get that looked at. My hands are tiny and I play a 28.625 baritone fine. It's gotta be something else going on.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yes, some. I have dealt with it for 20 years, so I am pretty good at knowing what to buy and play now. I am super picky on specs. I usually don't play 7's as much these days, and usually opt for 6 strings detuned to B. For me, in B tuning, using a 6 string, with 42mm nut, C shaped medium thickness neck, with 9-54 or 9-52 strings are the best bet. However, I don't say it much, because 98% of this site will disagree with me. :)

My favorite 7 string is an Ibanez RG7321 that I sanded the neck down on to make it rounder and sightly narrower.

19. Konfyouzd

Makes sense.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had it looked at years ago... the solution is basically to avoid situations which cause it to strain.

It is not just one spec, it is a combination of things. I could play a 28.625" guitar as long as the neck was rounder, narrower (like a narrow 6 string), and I used light strings. I play bass all the time, which is 34" and 35" scales, but I prefer Jazz basses because they have a 34mm nut, and more taper.

Basically, I cannot play wide, thin "D" shaped necks like old Ibanez Wizard, or Jackson, with thick strings. Rounder necks with light strings are they key I have found. The problem is, most 7 and 8 string guitars, especially baritone, tend to also flatten the neck as they get wider, which is where the problem comes from. My 26.5" 7 string guitar is an old Schecter with the old style baseball bat-necks that everyone hates, and I can play that baritone 7 string without issues. I can never play it as fast or accurately as I can a 6 string, but I can play it without issues. Something like an Ibanez RG8 with a 27" scale and square neck profile is torture after 5 minutes.