Looking for suggestions on new guitar

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by metallicgreen, Nov 1, 2018.

1. metallicgreen

metallicgreen SS.org Regular

Hi guys, I'm new to 7strings. I'm looking for a guitar wanting to play songs from a certain band. Here are the things I'd like:
    - 24 frets
    - fixed bridge (easy to change tuning as the band has some songs with various tuning including irregular)
    - EMG 81 and 85 or similar sound (somehow I hate the sound of 707)
    - budget probably around $2k (a little better quality as I'm not buying again in the future)

Sadly local shops here rarely have 7-strings. I did some research online and looks like there are not a lot of choices I could find as many are either FR or 707. The closest I could find is ESP E-II NT-7 evertune. The idea looks good but it seems not quite popular as I couldn't find any info or actual comment on how it is, esp. on the change of diff tuning. Problem is I don't want to buy it without trying first, but they don't have any demo even in the ESP custom shop in Japan when I went there in summer.

So could you guys please suggest any models that fit my spec?

Thanks!

2. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Hi there,
    the 707 is actually a 85 for sevenstrings.
    The evertune is great if you only switch between you standard tuning and drop (f.e. Standard B and Drop A).

Obvious suggestions would be Schecter and Ibanez. Both have several models without Floyd and 707s ;)

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

24 frets and a fixed bridge at $2k or less describes the vast majority of 7-strings these days. Pickups can be changed easily and cheap comparatively, so it’d be a bit silly to base the entire purchasing decision on that unless there’s truly no other specs you care about.

4. metallicgreen

Thanks for the feedback. Most Ibanez I see is FR though. The only Schecter I could find is Damien Platinum but I'm not confident with it made in Korea.
    Do you mean drop A on 7th only or half down? Is it easy to tune down all the strings?

5. metallicgreen

That would be the last resort because I'd want to try before purchase and it's hard to check the sound with pickup changes before purchase.. but I'd consider that if there is really no other choice.

6. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I think you could technically go with one main tuning and then a secondary tuning for each string.

Actually there are tons of Schecters with fixed bridge... Merrow, banshee, sls, just look on their Homepage!

7. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

Hey! For that price (2.000,00 $) you can get a very good guitar for sure, but I think you could spend a little less if you could only give up looking for EMGs (are you sure you need those pickups?)

My suggestions:
    1) http://www.solar-guitars.com/produit/a1-7et/ at about 1.200,00 $
    2) https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/guitars/pro-series-soloist-sl7-ht/2914227574 at about 1.300,00 $
    3) http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=355&color=CL01 at about 800,00 $

Hope this helps. I personally have a JS22-7 customized with a tuneomatic bridge and a SD Invader bridge pickup. Rocks a lot.

8. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Chect schecter km 7 or loomis 7

9. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

No, it isn't. An 85-7 exists. The 707 is a whole different pickup that is similar to the 85, but it is not the same.

10. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Get the ffffffffffffuck back into your cell Bill.

But yeah, you're right.

11. metallicgreen

Thanks all for your comments!

Looks like there really aren't many choices with those pickups. The reason I want them is just that I like the sound of them, not particularly insist on it (e.g. I tried 707 and hate the sound of it). Probably I'll try other pickups.