Looking for some criticism on mixing!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RobertVII, Jun 21, 2016.

1. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

I recently recorded the track below and really want to know what I can do to improve my mixing and mastering for the future. Any feedback is appreciated!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/r0bert-1/reflections-mixing-practice-2[/SC]

2. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

There's massive amounts of pumping going on.

Guitars overpower the guitars.

3. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

??? what am i even listening to? it sounds like you put some massive LPF and than
    rendered it down to the lowest mp3 quality possible. all the high end and presence is
    completely gone. it´s all just lo-fi mud. what happened there? the only thing i can say
    mix wise for this demo is the guitars are way too loud and boomy.
    and if i may add something about the writing, the drums do some totally random stuff
    that´s not connected in any way to what the guitars do. and the guitars also do some
    really random stuff. over all i don´t get what you were trying to do, really :/

edit: wait, i just noticed soundcloud is messing stuff up. everything on it sounds super
    slow mo and pitched low for me for whatever reason. i´ll have to come back to your mix
    later.

edit 2: had to reboot my interface. everything was going at like a third the speed and
    pitched low accordingly. weird.
    in any case. like jerm says the guitars are too loud and there´s lots of pumping.
    ease up on the master compression and limiter. the drums and guitars also sound rather
    disconnected mix wise. the drums are super scooped with very sharp high end and the
    guitars are rather fat in the low mid range and not as present in the upper range. try
    to make those come closer together to make them feel more like they also belong together.
    it also seems like there´s no bass. without a bass you can´t really judge a mix because
    it´s missing the foundation.

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I sort of wish I could have heard whatever weird thing you must have heard when your interface was playing up...

5. RobertVII

RobertVII SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it!