Looking for some 8 string pickup recomendations!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vince Caruana, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

Looking to swap out the emg 57/66 out of my hellraiser hybrid for a passive set. I've been thinking about throwing in some lace deathbars but I'm trying to do some research. The pickups I have are 3.5 inches wide. Looking for something high output with good dynamic and harmonic tonality.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

I really like the SD Sentient and Pegasus set that @BigViolin sold me to put on my RGA8. They have a nice warm tone to them; not super aggressive.(with the fuzz pedals, I didn’t need high output pickups)
    The thing I like, is that when switching between bridge and neck pickup, there’s not a huge change in tone.

Vince Caruana and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I put Ionizers in my RG8 a few weeks ago and have really been enjoying them. Definitely hot and they cut through the mix well as they're mid focused. I'd definitely recommend, i feel like i got a whole new guitar coming from the stock pickups.

Vince Caruana likes this.
  4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Lundgren M8
    Balanced EQ, clear, articulate, and sound aggressive as hell.

If their too expensive there's also the Cepheus Alpha 8 string pickup which is supposedly an exact, or extremely close, knock-off that goes for a fraction of the price.

5. UnstableinLINY

UnstableinLINY SS.org Regular

Sentient from SD in the neck for sure. Sounds really good. I would avoid the deathbars/xbars. Maybe it's just me but both times I had them in guitars (once purchased and once in my Strandberg) I had to swap them out because they squeal horribly at loud volume with gain. They seem really microphonic and ultimately when it came to the distorted tone they just didn't have what I wanted. I got a custom 8 string Dimebucker on the strandberg in the bridge and a sentient in the neck. I'm playing through a randall 3303h with a fortin grind pedal and 33 on the front going into a line six helix for all my non distorted effects. I swap between the grind on the red channel and use the 33 for the blue channel on the randall. I have the gain cranked up a bit high but when ever I used the lace pickups it was a nightmare and I had to roll the volume off every time I stopped playing. The amount of gating required to cover it up would wreck my tone as well so I just just said screw these things and went with what I knew would work well. Even though I had to wait and pay for a custom pickup it was WELL worth the wait. I know some people love lace pickups and it works for them but my experience was not so good with them.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Hmm weird. I have a couple sets of their pickups and they're the quietest pickups I've ever used unless you crank the shit out of your gain on your amp/pedals.

As far as pickup recommendations, I'd say it depends on what kind of music OP wants to play and whether versatility matters.
    - Elysian Moderns/Goliaths are hands down the clearest passive 8 string pickup I've used besides the lace x-bar, so if you want ridiculous clarity while still having a pretty tight low end/snarling mids then hit up elysian pickups on facebook. They're also quite versatile (depending on your amp/guitar voicings, they don't play well with super snarly amps like the jvm410). They have great cleans as well. Very snarly mids and pretty bright highs.
    -Guitarmory polaris isn't as clear as the elysians, but it's tighter and warmer on the high end. It's a very beefy sounding pickup, almost like an 8 string dimarzio titan. Has snarly mids and warmer highs.
    -Instrumental SFTY3 is a solid choice too as it's kind of like a slightly tamer bkp painkiller. It's relatively clear across the strings and cleans up well, and is a bit more percussive than the elysian goliaths. Has a bit more high end than the goliaths though. More of a roaring sound with brighter highs. Pretty high output.
    -Lundgren M8s are a really cool sounding pickup but they're not the best for playing big extended chords/overall clarity/overall versatility. They do have a very aggressive voicing/unique kind of grinding midrange and borderline stiff low end. growling midrange/relatively bright highs
    -BKP Ceramic Warpig- has a darker low end and doesn't have the best overall clarity. It's a savage pickup though. It has a relatively fast tracking low end and pretty bright highs. Mids are still present but they don't snarl (more of a roar). Very high output.
    -Black Winter- Very tight low end, good grindy mids, present highs, but has a darker sound overall, so low end clarity/overall clarity isn't great. Quite high output but has relatively mellow cleans.

Vince Caruana and ThePhilosopher like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

dude you have an 8 string Dimebucker?
    holy smokes". Care to do some demos or vids or something?!"?!

Strobe and Vince Caruana like this.
  8. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

Thanks guys

9. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I second the dime bucker request!

lewis likes this.
  10. UnstableinLINY

UnstableinLINY SS.org Regular

I won't have anything worthwhile for a little while. I am working on new music with my band and drums and bass are almost done so when I get to recording guitars and re-amping I will make a demo vid. For now hope you can live with a screenshot. They even offered to put the original logo on there. Maybe its sacreligious because it is an 8 (dime wouldn't play 7s as far as I know) but IDGAF cause it's going through a Randall and its brutal so probably acceptable. I wanted to do my own thing in a way instead of just copying the fishman fluence thing everyone seems to be doing now (they do sound really nice though).

Strandberg-DB.jpg

gienek and lewis like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

hmm I hate the 6 string version of the dimebucker but maybe it would work a lot better for an 8 string. A demo would be really useful.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

well god it certainly looks bad ass! haha

I bet it does twang much better on a 8 string than on a 6er!