Looking for passives to replace 707s

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Tech Wrath, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Budget isn't really a problem here so I've been pretty set on getting a set of bareknuckles but I'm still indecisive on which kind.
    Body of the guitar is mahogany (Agile Inter. Pro 727 is the guitar I'm modding)
    And I want something that will be very dynamic. I want the pickups to be very tight yet very responsive to pick-attack as well as be able to hand big colorful chords without the low end overbearing the sound and without the notes blurring together. Deciding between Jugs, C-pigs, aftermaths, or even the nailbombs or coldsweats.

What are your experiences with these?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

out of those I'd say aftermath bridge and cold sweat neck. The aftermath is ridiculously tight and will stay clear for everything, but the voicing is an issue for some people (like me). It has very stiff/metallic/clanky mids that are really difficult to work around if you're trying to play something other than dj00nt/tech death/modern metal. It doesn't have a ton of low end and it will definitely stay clear/tight if that's all you need. It's a very dry sounding pickup though and really needs a decent bit of gain to shine imo.
    If you don't want a ton of low end/a nice clear low end/ something that's able to handle extended chords/is a bit more versatile then the black dog is a great choice.
    C-pig will probably have too much low end and be too dark/muddy for you compared to the other options you listed.
    Juggs have a spike in the low-mids that gives them this weird kind of tubby low end (definitely fatter/looser than the aftermaths but not as much low end as the c-pig). Juggs also have a cocked wah/vocal quality that makes them a bit less versatile imo. They do stay quite clear though.
    I don't have experience with the nailbombs so I can't comment on those.
    I've only used the coldsweat neck pickup and it's great, it has this liquidy/smooth feel that excels for high gain soloing, and it sounds quite nice clean. I can't comment on the coldsweat bridge.

3. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Thanks I actually recently heard the coldsweat neck with a few reviews and I think might be set on that. It really does sound fantastic.
    But for the bridge I'm still in debate. I think I'm disregarding the aftermaths because I never really play with the gain above 4 and I feel like they'd sound terribly dry. (And from the videos I've seen, the tone usually sounds "stereotypical" or "cliche")
    The nailbombs seem like they'd either be amazing or I'd hate 'em. I'm actually really considering them but I'm not sure if I want to gamble. They sound very different in almost every guitar I've heard which makes them really unique to the guitar and the player but who knows. I think I still have to do some research.
    Hopefully someone else here has tried these. Thanks!

4. NickS

NickS Carvinite

Have you considered the Miracle Man? I have them in my Carvin CS4M (mahogany body and neck, maple top, ebony board) and they sound great. Very versatile and clear, and they sound great under high gain.