Looking for classical composers/pieces

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Carcinoid, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

I have a question for buying classical music what would be good versions to buy, mainly of bach I love him

2. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I assume you're talking about J.S. Bach. The guy had twenty children, many of them composers in their own right, some of whom were just as important and perhaps more influential than their father (C.P.E. Bach comes to mind), so it's important to specify.

What genre are you looking for? Keyboard music? Chamber music? Solo pieces? Vocal pieces? Depending on the works you're looking for, I can probably recommend a few interpretations. When I shop for classical music, the first thing that I look for is the year of the recording. There are two big reasons for this: first, nearly every classical recording before 1970 is done with a single microphone set up in the back of the auditorium, next to the kid stuffing his face with Cheetos and crinkling the bag the entire time. I had an awful mono recording of the Ring cycle from the 60's that sounded like it was all mids and the noise floor was nearly as loud as the instruments. Secondly, interpretations of old music, notably of Baroque music, tends to be more Romantic before a certain time. They might still be good interpretations, but it might not be what you're looking for. You can test the waters by going onto Youtube and finding performances, or if you have a music library near you, check out a few CD's.

I'm a sucker for late Romantic and early twentieth century symphonic works, so I really know that genre much better - Charles Dutoit and George Szell are fantastic conductors, Daniel Barenboim is another one of my favorites (except for his piano playing). Wilhelm Furtwängler is also awesome, but the recording techniques available to his orchestras now sound very dated (he died in 1954), so I tend to avoid Furtwängler, even though his conducting is powerful.

3. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

Yup I was talking about about J.S. Bach. I didn't know he had children that were composers too. I prefer whole orchestras and I haven't looked at libraries yet even though the closets one has a huge Mozart cd set

4. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I actually don't know Bach's orchestral writing too well (or at least what could be called an orchestra during the Baroque), and I don't have too many good recordings. However, here are a few of his works that you might want to check out:

The Brandenburg Concerti
    The Cantatas (He wrote a a metric shit-ton of cantatas for a gig he had.)
    The B Minor Mass

Those are all fairly large-scale works, and finding a few good performances shouldn't be a problem. If you're into Beethoven, Simon Rattle did a decent recording of the nine symphonies:

Amazon.com: Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies [Box Set]: Beethoven, Daniel Barenboim, Staatskapelle Berlin: Music

Michael Tilson Thomas does a good Mahler, as does Simon Rattle.

5. Acreator

Acreator SS.org Regular

early Stravinsky
    Rachmaninoff
    Penderecki
    Shostakovich
    Prokofiev
    Jacques Hétu
    Christopher Rouse
    John Corigliano
    David Del Tredici
    John Adams
    Steve Reich
    Claude Vivier
    Chris Paul Harman
    Tristan Murail
    Gérard Grisey
    Steven Mackey
    Nico Muhly

6. AlexRuger

AlexRuger SS.org Regular

Lately I've really been digging on Shostakovich. Particularly his 5th and 10th Symphonies. His 10th is by far one of my favorite pieces of music now.

If it hasn't already been posted, Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe is incredible.