Looking for amp sim recommendations (for bass).

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by The Omega Cluster, Aug 29, 2017.

1. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I was looking into buying an Axe FX, but given that it's focused on guitar, there are only a few bass amp simulators on it, and they alone wouldn't justify the price. Are there alternatives more centred on bass guitar?

2. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I too am interested.

Currently using TSE audio BOD 3.0.0. It's free and sounds alright for a free plugin. Only one sound (it's a Sansamp copy) but good at it.

https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hmm, Behringer made a rack-mount version of the Bass V-Amp, which was okay. Honestly, I rather prefer the models on my Roland Cube Bass 60W, but it doesn't matter, since they are both discontinued. It seems that the bass playing community never really got on the modeling bandwagon, because all of the products of which I was aware are now discontinued. There is a tiny little Vox digital modeling bass amp that looks like a toy, and that's all I've seen recently.

I think the basic idea is that there really isn't as much variation in bass amps as there is in guitar amps. You can get a really nice Ampeg SVT and get that classic tone everyone is used to hearing, or you can get a little 500W $350 2 kg off brand bass head that can be dialed in to sound 95% as good. There's not really a bass equivalent to the "British tone" / "American tone" thing.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

5. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I use the IK Multimedia Ampeg software SVX software suite.

It works great, there are tons of good bass sounds. I have yet to find a good overdrive VST, if I am looking for a Meshuggah style bass tone I usually just run it through my guitar setup.

6. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

I use Cerberus Bass Amp by Kuassa. It's got 3 different gain types and a bunch of different speaker/microphone types too. It's also got a free demo so you can try it out and then buy it if you like it enough.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Are you talking for recording or something to serve as an actual amp? For recording you can DI stuff, leave the low end clean, and use guitar sims for the high-end/dirt. I've never come across a "bass vst" that did anything useful for me. For live.... I don't see a purpose to amp sims for bass. Bass is already dominated by lightweight class D amps, so it's just a matter of picking a flavor of preamp that you like and either getting a dedicated pre and a PA amp, or just stick with whatever offerings there are from the brand you like. And don't discount how much the cab makes a difference when it comes to bass.

Currently using an SVT-IIP -> Crown XLS -> Traynor TC808 and it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Spinedriver likes this.
  8. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Overloud TH3 is more guitar oriented, but it has three different amp models for bass. Here's couple of good approaches for bass tone with that one.

9. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Helix has more bass amps in it than the Axe Fx

Masoo2 likes this.
  10. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I use overloud TH3. I get some pretty nice tones out of it too. Took me WAY too long to realize that using no cab sim sounds absolutely killer. I wonder how much that holds true for other plugins/hardware.

Maybe give that a shot and see how you like it. Cab sims, at least in th3, make it sound sorta boxy and undefined. With no cab it's crystal clear and super deep.

11. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I use Ignite Amps SHB-1, but I am not a big fan of it.
    EZMix with some Guitar Gods packs are my answer... I loved the bass amps that comes with Guitar Gods 3. You can't tweak them, but they sound amazing IMHO.

12. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

I use a Line 6 Helix for both bass and guitar and I love it.

The helix also has a really good clone of the Darkglass b7k ultra if you're into the Darkglass tone.

Spinedriver and Masoo2 like this.
  13. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Another +1 for Line 6 Helix/Helix LT/Helix Native

The bass amp models are solid and the Darkglass B7K model is so good. Unless I'm mistaken, it's the only model of a B7K on any amp simulator.

14. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I run a DI bass track into the TSE BOD plugin + ReaComp then bus the signal to a track eq'd to produce clean subs and another track eq'd for attack/midrange/high end. Bus them both back through a second compressor, the Density plugin from Variety of Sound - happy with my tones thus far!

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

years ago I used to play with the amplitube Ampeg pluggin thing. It was pretty awesome, then when I went to buy an amp I tried an ampeg and I found myself at home. I bet the newer versions are better

16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's not super-sophisticated but I've gotten decent results out of a Zoom B3. It has a dozen different amp sims from Ampeg to Markbass to SWR.