Looking for "Americana" horror

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Explorer, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm going to add the 2013 "We Are What We Are" to the list, but now I have to think about why this might make the list for me but "The Woman" wouldn't.

I think it's because "The Woman" didn't really tie into any American tradition, whereas "We Are What We Are" manage to remake the Mexican original to tie it into American history.

2. asher

asher So Did We

It's more dark fantasy than outright horror, but consider marathoning the two seasons of HBO's Carnivale. Dark arts in and around an... odd traveling carnival roving through the Dustbowl and the West in the Depression era.

3. Explorer

Carnivale, along with The 4400, is one of those series which cut off too soon. I hate that feeling of frustration when the makers of a work don't finish what they started.

i do own both seasons of Carnivale, but I don't view either them or The 4400 for that reason.

Anyway, for the moment I'm looking for self-contained movies, as opposed to something i would either watch in a marathon or as a weekly serial. At this point I don't even watch broadcast or cable television, just using Netflix Streaming or Amazon Prime if I don't own something on disc. Having gotten into series which then were ended before their time, I don't mind waiting until they're over to see if they're worth investing the watching time.

4. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, having to cut six seasons of planned story off at two really sucks :(

5. Animus

Animus SS.org Regular

The Reflecting Skin. Film a I saw in the early 90's that I still remember. Has Viggo Mortensen in it. The Reflecting Skin (1990) - IMDb Not technically an American made film but it takes place in rural Idaho and is definitely "Americana" horror.

And don't forget the original Pumpkinhead.

6. Explorer

I have a local movie rental place which has a lot of rare and oddball DVDs, and they have specials where you get a discount on multiple rentals on certain days.

The Reflecting Skin looks intriguing, but I'm hesitant to buy it at current prices without being sure I'll like it. I'll spend a couple of bucks on a rental, so I can feel better about spending $12 to own it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The Reflecting Skin is a very divisive movie, a lot of horror nuts HATE it, like with a passion. It's on youtube iirc. I've never watched it but it sounds interesting.

8. Explorer

Borrowed a copy from my local video store, and found enough disturbing in it in the first half that I'm letting it sit for a bit. I've got a week on this rental, so I'll watch it in full this weekend.

Good suggestion! I think this will be a keeper.

9. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

If you have Netflix
    Resolution
    Maybe not "americana" but Banshee Chapter is really good.
    The Taking of Deborah Logan
    Late Phases
    Stake Land
    Dark Was the Night
    Exit Humanity
    Mr. Jones

Hope that helps.