Looking for a nice 7 string, please help :)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by davidsantana27, May 13, 2012.

1. davidsantana27

davidsantana27 SS.org Regular

Hey, I'm going to change my main (esp ltd mh1000nt) for a 7 string.
    I prefer fixed bridge and extended scale (26,5-27"). I was thinking about those guitars: loomis, c-7, atx, agile 727. Any other ideas? What would you recommend? I was thinking about some Ibanez recently, but I never liked them and I don't even know any models with extended scale.
    Thanks!

2. Norstorm

Norstorm SS.org Regular

Well.. From what I could see on your list, Agile was one of them..
    Agile is ALOT guitar for the money.

When it comes to Ibanez.. They have a model called RGD7421. Worth checking out..

Electric Guitars - RGD7421 | Ibanez guitars

It's a 26,5" scale..

Agile I think have a bit longer scales here and there..

3. Djentleguy

Djentleguy SS.org Regular

Like he said, agiles have longer scales. So I'd check out the new schecter's SLS Series. Nice option too.

4. davidsantana27

Thanks guys, this Ibanez looks pretty awesome, only the wood is a bit unfamiliar for me, always had adler or mahogany guitars :)
    And about Agiles, 27" one would be sweet, but here in EU it isn't so easy to get one, customs, taxes, etc. Hopefuly I will find second-hand that will match my needs.

5. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

If you could find an RG7421XL that's definitely what I'd recommend. If not, Agile does have some good options, and people seem to love ESP around here, although I've never played one so I can't comment.

6. Norstorm

Norstorm SS.org Regular

Check this video out..

This is a RGD2127, the same model as 7421, just with a trem I guess..

Killer barritone.. Tried it once, and she played like butter!

7. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

Not quite, 2127 is a prestige model.

But yeah, even if you don't like Ibanez 6 strings their 7s are worth trying for sure (the thinness of the necks is a boon on the 7 strings, makes them very easy to get used to)

8. b1gm3

b1gm3 SS.org Regular

Perhaps go for Schecter Omen Extreme 7, then use the difference in cash for a decent setup and pickups of choice.

9. davidsantana27

I haven't seen many 7421s here in Poland, but I will keep an eye on them. As I made some research here in FS section, they are really affordable. 2127 seems even better, I am really starting to like those 7-string Ibanez guitars (played only one 7 string from them, comfy neck and good overall impression, and a few 6 strings, and I dislike those).
    When talking about Schecters, I am interested in Loomis nt, ATX and c-7 hellraiser, but I am a bit afraid of neck profile.

EDIT:
    Norstorm, awesome video, this guitar sounds quite close to my perfect sound, that would suit me in 90%, only that tremolo would be a pain in the ass. 2127 is deffinitely worth to be checked.

10. Djentleguy

Djentleguy SS.org Regular

From personal experience, Schecters are awesome. Tonal difference - The Loomis would sound more bright, sharper than the hellraiser because of the wood differences. Hellraiser would be more muddy and bassy than the Loomis - Personal Preference. ATX C-7 is a completely different story though. About the neck profiles - Yes, Schecter's are known to have... well some call it a baseball bat and some call it a nice, beefy neck. It's up to you to choose between them. My first 7 was a Hellraiser C-7(still is) and I'm very pleased with it. For me, it has awesome distorted tone for death metal and the cleans are sweet(don't forget you have the coil tap on the hellraiser, if it matters to you). Neck profile is quite amazing for my thin, long hands :D

11. SkapocalypseNow

SkapocalypseNow Coffee Cups?

A place with stuff and things and people. Just kid
    Play 'em if you can, Schecter necks aren't as terrifying as everyone seems to make them out to be. Of course, from year to year they seem to change at least a little bit, so take that into account when you're looking. (Truthfully, though, take what I say with a grain of salt in the matter of neck profile, I own three Schecters, but come from the school of Gibson so to speak, so to a lot of you I'm probably just talking out of my ass :lol:) And, just my two cents, but I wouldn't completely limit your choices in the matter of model -- if the neck profile scares you, I wouldn't rule out the recommendation I saw above about the SLS series, and if you must, ignore the inlay :p Definitely worth looking into.

12. Kristianx510

Kristianx510 SS.org Regular

My RG7321 has never done me wrong. I would recommend that or an Agile.

13. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Used RG7621 or RG7421

But if you need extended scale get an RGD7421 I suppose.

14. Ayo7e

Ayo7e ralugeR gro.ss

15. davidsantana27

Thank you all for responses ;)
    First of all I have to sell my ltd deluxe 6 string and than I will be looking for extended scale 7 string seriously, I can't stay w/o guitar for more than 2 weeks, I cant play shows with bare hands :p
    Ran Crusher 7 with 27" would be awesome, but I have one rule, I dont buy NEW guitars, only second-hand.
    I will probably roll one of Schecters or any Ibanez with fixed and 26,5", but Agile is in the first place so far.

16. Norstorm

Norstorm SS.org Regular

Then I'd go for an Ibanez RGD2127, wich is a prestige model, and then lock the tremolo.. if you didn't need it..

Point: The prestige necks are AWESOME!

17. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I really like my Schecter Hellraiser C-7. It sounds tight as hell and the string tention is pretty good. Used to own an ibby S7320 with EMG's, but the Schecters are just 1000x better guitars imo. I'd choose the Loomis or ATX instead of Hellraiser though. The necks are thick, but you get used to inno time. I've played a LTD SC-607 which people here claim to be much tinner neck than Schecters, but honestly I didnt notice any big difference in the necks..
    I havent played any ERG Ibanez though. Maybe worth giving them a try, but from experience I know that its hard to find a descent 7 here in Europe without paying too much.

18. FarBeyondMetal

FarBeyondMetal SS.org Regular

The atx c-7 is a fanfuckingtastic guitar...the neck is not as thick as some make it out to be...it has a 16" radius, much like an RG7321...shredderifiic indeed

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

You can find used C7 Hellraiser's(26.5) used for $450-$500.

I'd shoot for that myself since I own and love mine.

20. Kraid

Kraid SS.org Regular

I recommend an Agile Septor 727 so much