Looking for a new 7 string (need suggestions)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DarkWolf796, Oct 1, 2018.

1. DarkWolf796

DarkWolf796 SS.org Regular

Hey guys!

I'm searching for a new 7 string guitar. The main specs that I'm looking for are the next:

- Superstrat shape
    - Fix bridge
    - Passive pickups
    - 24 frets
    - 25.5-27 scale

I was thinking on spending about 1.000€-1.400€. With this specs I found these models:

- Schecter KM-7 MK-II (Seymour Duncan version)
    - LTD H-1007
    - LTD MH-417 (Changing the pickups by Bareknuckle Juggernaut)
    - Ibanez RGAIX7FM-TGF

The main problem that I have is that in Spain Schecter is quite expensive, is fact KM-7 costs from 1.400€ to 1.555€ and because of that I'm a bit tied.
    Finally I have the next doubts:

- From the models that I'm interested in, which one would be the best option?
    - Is it worth to buy the KM-7 for 1.400€ that costs here in Spain?
    - Is better option to search in second hand market and try to get an ESP instead of LTD?

I accept suggestion from the specs that I wrote before.

Thank you for helping!

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I've owned three Schecters living in the same country as you. I got the SLS7 passive and active for less than a thousand. Awesome guitars. Then I got a KM7 almost new for 900€ and resold it a couple of months later for virtually the same. I mean, don't just stare at the price in shops and try to bargain with their owners, the prices are always over the top. I'd get Schecter from all the models you mention.

What I'd do in your possition is going Solar, those guitars are really appealing to me. The A2.7 is between 699 and 799€, different colours and there is a new line of beautiful poplar top sixers I expect Ola takes to the 7 realm soon.

For 1400 which seems to be your budget, I'd save a few hundred more and get something like RAN :)

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Sounds like a used Ibanez RG7621 would be right up your alley.

4. DarkWolf796

I had not taken into account Solar guitars, but I have been seeing some models and I like them a lot, it's pretty close to what I'm looking for. How good are Duncan Solar Pickups? Is it worth to spend some more and buy the A1?

I had also thought what you say, saving some money and getting a Mayones or RAN guitar, but in that case I have doubts too.

I'm looking into the second hand market, but I have not seen nothing that that interested me.

Thank you for your responses, guys!

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I haven't tried a Solar, just thought it suited you on paper. I think Duncan solar pups are just nice, but changing pups is not as expensive and those axes looks great to me and good priced.

Mayones is so expensive but you can probably afford a basic Ran with a bit of savings and believe me, awesome instruments

Anyway, I think the Solar are the best bet in your position

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the...of-the-best-guitars-for-beginners-and-experts

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

Look for a clean used RG752 Prestige 7. Plenty of options available as well. Trem, no trem, maple or rosewood board. I'm pretty sure you can find one you like.
    They are clearly better instruments than the one you mentioned and if you decide to sell it one day, you won't lose much money.

7. DarkWolf796

Thank you guys for your answers!!

I'm going to try some guitars this weekend to get some ideas, but I really liked the Solar :hbang:.

8. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

You can't go wrong with the Schecter KM-7 MK-II or the Solar offerings. Both are very excellent guitars imo. The KM wins the battle for me as of right now with the stainless steel frets. As soon as Solar releases a stainless steel fretted 7-string model though...I'm on it. I have the A1.7 BOP LTD model right now and it's amazing. Very tough choice but I will be swapping the pickups. They were just a bit lower in output than I want and just a tad too compressed for me. The Nazgul/Sentient set in the Schecter are worse in my opinion and I swapped those very fast without any second thoughts.