looking for a metal guitar

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by SloeGin, Aug 13, 2018.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

hey guys,

I have a Tokai LP which i love very much!
    I have been wanting a 'metal' guitar for a while now too.
    It has to have a FR and humbuckers and 24 frets.
    I'm debating whether to get the :

Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-1
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_hellraiser_hybrid_c_1_fr_tbb.htm
    [​IMG]

or

a 2nd hand Jackson DK2M Dinky Snow White (made between 2006-2010)
    [​IMG]

Sadly i can't test those guitars irl so i'm hoping to get some advice from you guys.
    Which one would you recommend?
    I was also wondering whether that volume control of the Jackson right under the bridge pickup, stands in the way too much of your picking hand? Anyone got experience with this guitar?

Thanks in advance!

2. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

If you like a neck through with a painted neck, grab the Schecter. If you like bolt-on with a slightly less painted neck, grab the Jackson. :p

In all seriousness, what's stopping you from going out and just trying a bunch of guitars?

3. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

I've never been disappointed by a Schecter (owned a few through trades and from a few good deals I couldn't pass), and I don't doubt this one would be great, but I'd still recommend the Jackson, for the following reasons:

It'd be way cheaper than the Schecter, the trem is solid, and it has the classic SH2/SH4 set which will work well for anything but the most modern of metal. It's also very well built.
    The neck joint could be less bulky though, that's the major drawback. Neck is thick but fast and very comfy however.

Edit: yes, it's quite easy to hit the volume control. That was my major issue the first few hours, got used to it soon after. If the guitar has easy-to-turn or frictionless pots, get ready for random loss of volume :/

Since it sells for 300 to 450€ in Europe (which is relevant according to your profile), you'll even have money left for a trem or pickup upgrade if you feel you need it. I own the same model but in crimson swirl, it has become my main guitar.

Though in the end,it also depends on whether you favor neck through or bolt on, passives or actives , and if you mind changing parts that may not be to your liking.

Hope that helps.

SloeGin likes this.
  4. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply, Aliascent!
    Did you do any upgrades on the Jackson? If so, wich?

Thanks!

5. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

It came to me with a DiMarzio transition in the bridge. Great pickup, fat and chunky, not really my type, but good enough, and the SH4 was moved to the neck position. I welcomed the change, as I had others Jacksons with the SH2 SH4 set before. Sounded good, but wanted something different anyway.
    Except that, it's stock. I do not use the trem a lot, but I still do flutters,pull-up and some dive bombs now and then, the thing just stay in tune.The previous owner was way more into "trem wankery" than I am and still had no big issues with it. I wanted to upgrade the trem but decided it wasn't worth it for now.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I would say try and find a used mij jackson or charvel. if that fails, then grab a schecter. I've found schecter to be putting out very good guitars for the price point, especially compared to comparably priced new jacksons. Schecter seems to be more consistent with their QC from what I've seen firsthand.

7. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

The neck on that schecter is hands down THE most comfortable I’ve played or owned. I have a custom shop jackson rr and my schecter sls elite gets all the plays time. I have smaller hands so the schecter is just perfect.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Gimme that forearm contour over the carve-top any day

Zhysick likes this.
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

All metal, or just mostly metal?

Gitler makes guitars that are made completely of metal, but they are a bit pricey. Maybe a Roswell Rhoades is metal enough, but the ones I've played were kind of shoddy. Some of the old Kramers had aluminum necks, but wooden bodies, but I never had a good impression left by those either...

Oh, wait, you mean a guitar for playing metal?

I think, of those two, I'd personally go for the Jackson, but neither would be a bad choice.

10. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Hmmm, this will be problematic for me i think ....
    The newer Jackson JS32 DKA-M has the volume control further back down now i see bu offcourse that guitar is of lesser quality.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Schecter guitars are sure great players. If you really want a metal guitar I'd recommend a Jackson King V with the EMG 81/85 pick ups which sound pretty metal to me. I have one with a Floyd Rose and 24 frets and a neck-thru body.

;>)/

12. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Get the Schecter I have the exact same model and it is great

13. JustinRhoads1980

14. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I would go for the dk2m personally but I’ve always enjoyed most Jackson’s I pick up. Once they’re set up even half decent they’re absolutely killer.

I play music likes this.
  15. JustinRhoads1980

For metal wise, I think the Schecter is better. I am jackson all the way man, but between these two, schecter wins in multiple areas that the jackson cannot compete regardless of whether it is setup or not

SloeGin likes this.
  16. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

what would that be? i'm not a fan of schecter guitars at all but its just due to their neck profiles i've tried were too much for me.

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

18. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

I'm sure it's already been said, but I think the Schecter is the better buy. It'll be overall better made, and overall you can't really go wrong. Jackson's QC is questionable at best these days, and you'd really be rolling the dice with them. Schecter will at least be ready to play when you get it.

19. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

It really depends on how you play. I've never accidentally hit the volume knob. And I have a guitar where the volume knob is in the same place.

20. JustinRhoads1980

Basically your bang for your buck. You get a higher quality instrument with the price you pay with that schecter hellraiser hybrid. Compared to the Jackson if I had to choose over for another metal guitar under $1000 it would be a schecter before I look into jackson.

Just look at my review that I liked to, you should find a lot of what you would need there