Looking for a good general purpose channel strip.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Andromalia, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

After spending more than a year off recording, I'm going to go at it again. I'll mostly use the axe FX III for everything, Reaper as a daw.
    I'm looking for a channel strip with comp and EQ mostly, with an oldschool interface if possible. Paid-for products are fine, but not those requiring dongles or specific hardware to run. I'll use that channel strip on all my channels but memory use isn't really a problem as I'll use the axe III for all reverbs, delays etc so my CPU won't get murdered and I should have enough RAM to spare.

TLDR: I want an oldschool console strip emulator. I don't mind if it's "colored" to sound like console X but don't require it either.
    I've been told the izotope stuff is good but the interface is a turn off.

2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

3. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

BX_console stuff is excellent. 10/10

4. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

bx_Console SSL 4000E gets my vote as well.

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, that's some unanimous opinions, that's pretty rare here. :D I'll have a look, cheers.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Sonimus does awesome stuff, and they're pretty cheap. They don't do a full channel strip yet, but combining their Britson console emulator with their Burnley 73 would give you a rather good Neve pre plus EQ strip. Their Satson channel emulator is great, too, to my ears a bit fatter than Britson.

Considering you could grab all three of those for less than the price of the BX on sale, they're worth a strong look. At a minimum I'd grab the Burnley - it's an awesome sounding take on a Neve EQ, and is both super musical in a mix, as well as a great way to add in saturation even if you bypass the EQ. I've been using the living shit out of it ever since I grabbed it.

https://sonimus.com/