Looking for a good clean/crunch amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rahnvu, Dec 3, 2017.

1. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

As a starting point it's only meant for home use. I sorely need an upgrade from my 19 year old Peavey Studio Pro 112...

I will probably be running mostly pedals as drive/distortion so a great base sound is essential. Too much drive on the amp often ruins the sound of od/dist pedals, so if the amp has an overdrive or distortion channel, I'll look at it as a bonus.

I don't have a cab, but if i end up with a head i can always borrow one until i can afford one. So far i have considered and/or tested the following:

Boss Katana 50 (tested, not too wowed)
    Blackstar Id Core 100 (tested, liked better than the Katana (?!))
    Joyo Zombie 20
    Peavey 6505mh (tested, s'goooood)

Short list, i know. That's why i'm looking for input. Amps i have had, just to exclude those from suggestion:

Orange Micro Terror (meh)
    Peavey Valveking 20 (sold to get 6505mh which i never did)
    Randall RD5 (great metal sound, but that's it)
    Orange OR15 (too loud and tought me that i'm not crazy for the Orange sound)

I have a pretty restricted budget so if any suggestions cater to that i'll be happy as a pig in shit! If not that's okay. As long as it works well on low volumes too and is worth saving up for.

2. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Please, not everyone at the same time. :shrug:

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Most people here get their distortion mostly from the amp, or go the modeling route, because dirt boxes have a hard time producing a sound that is both fat and clear. That being said, you might want to look at the Fender Bassbreaker 7.

rahnvu likes this.
  4. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Yeah i sorta know, but my main sound is based on an unholy combination of the Boss HM-2 and a Danelectro Fab Tone. And yes i realize that's not the norm. :p

I tried a bassbreaker 7 once, i think i was disappointed. I may have been looking at it for a good allround amp tho, and it didn't keep up like that. It seems that the general consensus on the Micro Dark is really good. Maybe that will work?
    Anyone have experience with a Micro Dark VS Micro Terror?

5. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Used Peavey classic 30 can be had for $300-350. Great cleans and low-mid gain sounds, and I thought it sounded good at low volumes. They're commonly used enough that you should find a good deal easily, and if you don't like it, it can be flipped for no or minimal loss. Or the classic 20 head with variable wattage.

6. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I second the classic 30/50. One of the most underrated workhorses on the market for the past 25 years. Cleans are excellent, get slightly crunchy when cranked but it's fucking loud so you have a decent amount of headroom. Crunch channel goes from very light breakup all the way to early metallica tones, boosted can get into pantera territory, depending on pickups, even a little further.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you are looking at the classic 30 look at the fender pro junior, musicman HD series.