Looking at an ESP and don't know if it's legit

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BMO, Sep 21, 2018.

1. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Hey guys! I'm looking about to get my first serious guitar. By that I mean I want something that stands above my workhorses I have already. I have decided after countless time testing guitars at several shops that it seems ESPs are the guitars that feel right in my hands. Used to be an Ibby fanboy, but they hurt my thumb now. Long story aside, I saw this ESP custom V on ebay for sale in Japan and have no idea if it's legit or not

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=192665306209

Seems odd for there to be no serial number, but I know with a little research that technical house and craft house custom orders can have no serial at times. Also curious if the price they're asking is good as all I can see is a tiny dent on the top edge. Any input? Thanks!

2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s not legit...but I’ve never seen a bolt on ‘vintage’ flying V from ESP, even the LTD and Edwards flying V’s are set neck...someone might know more than me on that one but what is suspect to me is the lack of a ‘ESP Custom Shop’ circle logo on the back of the headstock. If it were real it would be hard to price as like I said, I’ve never seen a custom shop, bolt on MV ESP. I would certainly want more than 5 crappy pics...

BMO likes this.
  3. BMO

BMO Geetarist

For sure it's an odd combo but it seems odd combos are the norm for Japan custom orders from shops and artists over there so who knows lol! Just seems super interesting to me and if it IS legit I so want it.

4. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

The seller has awesome feedback but that doesn’t make me any less skeptical. If it’s real, I digress...but the weird offset neck bolts/no plate would be the first I’ve EVER SEEN. No serial number AND no custom shop logo? I’d need some verified authenticity from ESP before I pulled the trigger -email ESP some pics and see what someone says. Chances are if it’s “from the 90’s” there’s no paperwork from ESP. I’d pass without verification...

5. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

That thing does look nice though...Keep us updated

6. BMO

BMO Geetarist

I shot them an email and hopefully hear back! That bolt pattern and no serial are a huge reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so hopefully it IS legit! I'm very much into having something that stands out, and a lawsuit ESP flying V that ISN'T a KH1 ticks every single box for me!

7. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Tiny Update: I've managed to find a legit V with the same bolt pattern! The Lizard Special V. However, it has a different strap button placement and a serial, so who knows if that helps towards the legitimacy of this one in question or not.

NateFalcon likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're going to need to talk to ESP directly, and even then, they probably won't be able to give you a ton of information.

The thing is, ESP is notorious for keeping terrible records, if any at all, and once you combine that with how many variations they made of known models things are even further muddled.

ESP usually gives a thumbs up if something could be real.

Nothing about that guitar is throwing up a red flag exactly. All aspects, even those somewhat suspect compared to other brands like no serial, have appeared before.

Try the ESP Board as well.

9. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Hopefully I'll hear back from them, and that's true for sure! I know their Technical House and Craft house can take orders from artists in Japan and shops in Japan where they'll do literally anything. I've seen plenty that have no custom logo because the shop or artist asked for that, but no serial is a new for me! However, the shape, neck shape, control placement, and bolt placement are all good to me! It's those strap buttons AND the fact it is no serial prevent me from jumping to the buy button. I'll check out the boards too!

10. MaxOfMetal

I've seen more older ESPs without serials than ones with. Though sometimes they put the serials in stupid places like neck joints, control cavities or cheap stickers. :lol:

11. BMO

BMO Geetarist

I've heard that as well! However, this seems to be from the 2000s according to the seller. I also contacted the seller asking for better details to verify its authenticity and if he comes back with"It's real I swear!" I'll keep an eye out for another guitar that catches my fancy. I know alot of fake edwards and ESPs are out there so I refuse to risk it on a whim without better info.

12. MaxOfMetal

I guess keep searching for something different.

I only say that because "It's real I swear!" is not much better than what some people here from ESP directly. :lol:

Unless he can produce an original invoice, which is rare.

13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Most likely all the info you need is in that neck pocket. I'd ask for picks. It's bolt on and Floyd, can be done in minutes.
    I wouldn't say it's a red flag, but the logo being on the truss cover for a custom is a little iffy to me. I would definitely demand more pics. But if this is legit, it's going to be a beast of a guitar.

NateFalcon likes this.
  14. BMO

BMO Geetarist

For sure, but I'm a little doubtful on their ability to do so. I did a ton of research today on ebay sellers in Japan and it seems for the past year or so, most sellers out there are actually people who take pics of guitars in stores or take dealer pictures off their site and then buy the guitar from the store when you buy it through them on ebay. I also checked their ebay and they got TONS of guitars on sale from what looks like multiple stores. I also saw the same V up on another account that got deleted today, so I have a very strong hunch I ran into one of these middleman buyer types. I think I might just stick to buying in the US and EU for now. Way too complicated otherwise for me haha!

15. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Although I'm sure you could maybe chime in if I'm wrong on that @feraledge since you ARE the resident ESP expert in my opinion lol!

16. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Also a mini update: I found an eclipse FR and a schecter Sunset Custom II USA that I've been debating on getting here in the US so I'm at that crossroads now!

17. feraledge

I give that role up to @Ikke but glad to be of service. If the seller can't provide pics, then it's out of the question. Buying from Japan is complicated, but on the upside, if you can find the original seller, then you should be able to get your info.
    If this is an old ESP custom, the quality will exceed just about all, but Eclipse FR? You're not getting to a wrong answer here.

Ikke likes this.
  18. BMO

BMO Geetarist

I tried, but it seems finding the original dealer is proving far too tough for me. Oh well, no biggie! I shot an offer at the owner of the eclipse I was checkin out and hopefully I hear back! If not, I may go for the Schecter or perhaps even wait for another check to roll in and check out some used USA ESP customs!

NateFalcon and feraledge like this.
  19. feraledge

Awesome. None of those things sound like bad ideas! Eager for some NGDs.

BMO likes this.
  20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

That explains things like this:
    Screenshot_20180921-214514.jpg

LeviathanKiller and BMO like this.