Longest guitar strings brand?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Andrew May, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Andrew May

Andrew May SS.org Regular

Hey all , long time no post.

I'm in the process of fixing up an Aliexpress 10 string bass monstrosity....nearly ready to roll now!

I've got some Kaliums for the thinnest strings (.018/.010) but I'm worried if I break one I'll have to wait to get new ones shipped to the UK, which is fine but I'd like to look at options.

The bass is 34" scale plus distance to the tuning posts so ideally I'm looking to get strings in regular "guitar" gauges that are 40" or longer. Does anyone do those "off the shelf" (Strings Direct/Ebay) etc?

Fake edit: I guess I can get a bass .018 ok but any smaller is foxing me!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I came in here to suggest Kalium but I see you have that covered haha.
    Sounds like an awesome project! Sorry I have no suggestions. Have you measured other brands? What are you tuning to, low C#-high Bb?
    I used a Kalium .025 wound for high F but that was on a 7 string where it was the highest string. I replaced a plain .019 which seems to be the standard for high F, as I preferred to not have only one plain string on the bass.
    I'd probably use 2 plains in your case though indeed. If I guessed your tuning right the 18 F will be perfectly safe and should not break for any reason. Stumped about that 10 though I'm afraid! If you are indeed tuning to high Bb I'd go heavier than a 10, maybe 12.
    If you do find something other than Kalium (or use Kalium guitar rather than bass strings for any reason), you can thread the string easily through the hole of a bass ballend for it to sit in the bridge properly :)

3. Andrew May

Hey mate.

I'm actually sticking to 9 strings as I hope to upgrade to a Kelstone eventually and don't want the bad habit of skipping to that high string that'll be gone! tuning is in straight 4ths from low B to Eb. I had a .010 on the EB, stupidly broke it while adjusting something else :rolleyes: and now have an .08 which feels like playing fresh air...

Does a .010 sound right for the high Eb? this is literally trial and (so much) error for me!

I'm sure I read somewhere, someone saying they bought a brand of guitar strings that were insanely long for no particular reason.:scratch:

4. Winspear

Ah, regular 5 string B? Higher than I imagined then, a high Eb4 the same as (almost) a guitars high E is a push. I know guys have done it but I think they are mostly using O4P strings for that.
    Tension wise it translates to just under high A on a 25.5" guitar, which this forum over several pages concluded is slightly too much (though there are people having at least temporary success including myself, I don't consider it feasible with normal strings though).
    In theory gauge doesn't matter as the higher tension of a thicker string is accounted for by its extra strength. However a thinner string is more fragile to playing, even if they should last the same simply pulled to pitch. But that pitch is basically the breaking tension of steel at any gauge. I did have most success with an 007 in practice on guitar, but it would feel very loose on that scale length and in bass context!
    If you don't want to have to worry, tuning the whole thing just one semitone lower will make a huge difference to its longevity.

5. Andrew May

Hi Winspear the bass is finally on it's feet now! I've shifted everything down a 4th so i'm running G B E A D G C F A# at more of a guitar tension than bass. What string gauges would you recommend? I've got a the one's i was using before on at the moment but they're due a change and tbh I've forgotten what sizes they are!

Winspear likes this.
  6. Winspear

Hey, got your message :)
    How's this look for a light hybrid feel? Might be good to find your email receipt of gauges incase I'm way off what feel you want! This is kind of the minimum tension I'd be able to use at that scale and would definitely feel more like a guitar than a bass to me
    len 34
    g0 .158 ckwnb == 31.46#
    b0 .124 ckwnb == 32.88#
    e1 .090 ckwnb == 31.4#
    a1 .067 ckwnb == 31.55#
    d2 .049 ckwnb == 30.69#
    g2 .037 ckwnb == 31.78#
    c3 .026 ckwnb == 29.66#
    f3 .018 ckplb == 26.33#
    a3# .013 ckplb == 24.47#

Andrew May likes this.
  7. Unleash The Fury