Locking Tuners on PRS SE trem not staying in tune

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by chrismgtis, Mar 14, 2009.

1. chrismgtis

chrismgtis SS.org Regular

I just very recently got the Paul Reed Smith SE single cut in tobacco sunburst with the tremolo. A while back I contacted PRS to see what options I had for locking tuners and they told me that Grover 406c locking tuners would be a direct replacement.

Really never used locking tuners in the 12 years that I've been playing. I looked at a YouTube video to make sure I was stringing them right and I'm assuming that I am. I stick part of the string in the post and turn it till the tuners lock the string in and then finish tightening the string. I tried to let the string go around the post once or twice, though the instructions that came with it or to my knowledge that is not required.

Issues:
    1. I can turn some of the tuners just a little bit and get a decent distance on the tuning, but on other tuners I have to turn them much further.
    2. When I get a string in tune, some of them somehow TIGHTEN (goes sharp) by the time I get back around to check the strings and make sure they are all still dead on (or it goes flat). They go sharp by almost an entire step sometimes in just a matter of 20 seconds.

It's just really frustrating and right now they locking tuners aren't doing their job. I thought maybe the trem was off center or something, but I've really no clue what would cause all of this.

OH by the way. I know the tuners are labeled somehow, but honestly I'm not sure at all if one tuner is supposed to be for a specific string or not. Obviously 3 go on one side only, but that's about as much as I could tell, because there were no instructions to say which tuner went to which string.

[​IMG]

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

you stretch the strings when you restring your guitars, right?

I'unno :scratch:

3. chrismgtis

Yea I pulled on them several times. I've played the guitar for a little bit afterward too. :ugh:

4. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I would make sure that the nut is cut correctly & not binding.

I have my PRS SE Paul Allender & it's my go-to axe for any Drop D stuff I gotta play. I added Schaller Locking Tuners & had the nut cut properly. I can go nuts on the whammy bar & it never goes out of tune. It's gotta be your nut, dude.

5. chrismgtis

Well I was thinking about getting a bone nut because a guy I know recommended it. Any advice on that and what size nut I need?

6. Shannon

For this particular guitar, you should be fine with the existing nut. Just have the string slots cut & lubed. That's all I had to do.

7. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

i duno but the way you have your low E strung is pretty bad, Its overlapping the excess and basically giving you a spring on your tuner lol. make sure its wrapped tight and coming right off the pole.

8. chrismgtis

Yea, I was trying to do something different and I've never really had instruction on anything guitar, especially how to string the best way. :agreed:

9. PirateMetalTroy

PirateMetalTroy The Tooth Fairy

If they're locking tuners, why do you have so much string wrapped around your string posts? shouldn't you need less than one wrap? As far as I've ever heard lost of wraps can cause the strings to catch/stick to each other when you dive, knocking you our of tune.

EDIT: That is, unless your guitar has a locking nut, but yours doesn't so ignore this comment.

10. chrismgtis

At first I was kinda hesitant with these type of locking tuners. I wasn't sure I could trust it to hold a string in so I wrapped once or twice for good measure. I'll stop doing that.

11. PirateMetalTroy

PirateMetalTroy The Tooth Fairy

My dad has a guitar with some gotoh auto-locking tuners. The kind that have that casing that locks down on the string, not the kind with the thumb screws at the back...never, ever had a problem.

insert string, tune to pitch, stretch strings, done. It's doesn't even require one full wrap.

12. Shannon

Shit, didn't notice that. NO STRING WRAPS on locking tuners....ever.

13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

This is truth!

If you wrap locking tuners, you are no better off than using standard tuning machines. You want the string to make a sort of U shape at the post, so that the hole/slot is parallel to the string. There is a common mis-conception that strings "stretch", but that is actually the string windings around the post just settling. I've never actually had to stretch strings with locking tuners, I just tune up the new string and go.

14. chrismgtis

They don't stretch? Seriously? Damn. I've had so many people tell me that.

15. asaber89

asaber89 SS.org Regular

What kind of Schaller's did you put on your SE? I have a Santana SE with stock, non-locking tuners and would love to put some locking ones on there. Also, did you have to drill any holes to fit the Schaller's?

16. MTech

MTech Banned

Those SE tuners are horrible. I know on all the SE guitars we had out we made them upgrade the tuners to the ones on the high end models and than never had a problem. In fact the one guitar that DIDN'T break on the road was the SE where as all the SC's had some issue or another.

Also with locking tuners like posted above you don't want it to wrap around of it defeats the purpose. When you string it correctly it should look like this.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Not only is it not required, it's not recommended. The wraps of string around the tuning post is exactly the issue locking tuners are meant to eliminate. All those wrapped strings will continue to flex and stretch, making your guitar go out of tune.

Pull the string through the tuner, pull it taut, then lock it. Your guitar should tune to pitch in less than one turn of the post.

18. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

+1

+1 to checking that the nut's cut correctly too, but one thing at a time!

19. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Errr....Those dont look like locking tuners! you should go for a bone nut and some sperzels, not just for function but for aesthetics.

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

They are locking tuners, look at the top of the tuner post dude. ;) They're definitely locking Grover tuners.

To the OP, I think since it sounds like you're lacking experience in the technical area of guitar maintenance (not a shot at you, just judging by your posts in this thread so far :)) your best bet is to bring it with you to a local guitar tech and let them take a look to see if your nut has any issues first and foremost. I know a lot of the SE line needs the nut slots fixed or a new nut installed, both of which are cheap fixes and will definitely improve the quality of the guitar tenfold. While you are there, ask them if they will show you how to properly string a guitar with locking tuners as it is relatively easy but since it sounds like you don't have experience with them it might be better than the guys on here trying to tell you how to do it via text alone. :wavey: