Live backing tracks & click help

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Ethmahoff, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ethmahoff

Ethmahoff SS.org Regular

So my band is gonna start to play shows here soon but we need to find the best way to run our backing tracks and have us all play to a click without breaking our bank. If anyone could suggest any ideas that would be fantastic.

2. concertjunkie

concertjunkie SS.org Regular

Do you have a laptop that you could use?

If so, you could grab a smaller SSD drive ($100>) and an interface (~$100ish) , you could have a click track and backing tracks running from it. If you are using an amp modeler with a midi IN (axe fx, pod hd 500x, etc) you can also program your patch changes from your DAW as well, so you don't have to even worry about changing to Clean/Lead/Rhythm channels, just play :)

3. ke7mix

ke7mix SS.org Regular

Before my band got a Macbook with Logic we ran our backing tracks out of an old Ipod, Pan your Click tracks 100% Left or right, then pan the Backing tracks 100% the other direction. We split the left/right signal with a stereo LR TRS cable. The Backing tracks go DI into the house, and the clicks go into a tiny 40$ 2 channel alto mixer. Which lets our drummer adjust the volume of the clicks in his in ears monitors.

4. eyeswide

eyeswide SS.org Regular

The best way? A laptop and interface. The totally acceptable/functional way? As said before, an iPod with your click on one side and your back tracks on the other.

5. Ethmahoff

Ethmahoff SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies! With the ipod way could you have it to where four people had the click and not just the drummer?

6. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

For this you are going to need wireless in ear systems, so prepare to actually break the bank if you want this...

If you're on a budget, settle for only having the drummer play to click and use the panned click/backing track method as others described with a small mixer.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Quoting myself from a similar thread:

Only the drummer will be playing to a click with this method, but it's definitely cost effective :yesway:

8. ScurrilousNerd

ScurrilousNerd SS.org Regular

Hey man - I know this is a necro-bump at this point, but is there anyway to do this without a mixer? I have the cables you mentioned but when I plug in my drummer's headphones only sound comes out of the left headphone. Any ideas?

Thanks