Live attire

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Skullet, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

Clearly my post was taken the wrong way, so just wanted to clarify a few things.

This is MY opinion and I do not believe it is the be all end all of how to dress on stage, it's not about how you dress, I'm just saying it does play a roll in business and how the crowd feels about your band. I do however believe that people who go "I can wear whatever I want and it looks good." are not fully understanding the idea...

If what you wear on stage is exactly the same as the clothes you wear off stage, there's nothing wrong with that at all! That's what I do too, I'm just saying I've seen way too many bands go up there where one guy is dressed in torn jeans, black band t-shirts and eyeliner, with another guy in athletic shorts and socks with not shirt, and another one in sweatpants and a hoody. It just makes you look like you don't care.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, people who wear the same thing on stage (Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack, pretty much every metal band these days) just look weird. I think you should express your individuality as much as you can on stage, that's what music is about! All I'm saying is that there's a difference between dressing comfortably, and dressing like you don't care. That's my biggest issue with bands, is just looking like you don't really care about the music you're playing. There's no specific attire for genres, I'm just saying look like you care, not like you just rolled out of bed.

I think we can all agree dressing like you don't care is annoying when you go to see a band. Going to see Meshuggah wouldn't be the same if they just wore athletic shorts and some random t-shirt from a moving company, you know? They dress like they care because they do care, but they also like what they're wearing. Metal is their life and they show it. If your music is your passion, show it. Ditch the sweatpants.

I could also do without your shots at my own music. I was invited to play in this band because they are friends of mine from high school, I told them "this isn't my music" and they insisted they didn't mind. I have a lot of fun with this band and I don't intend to leave it, and my musical tastes are extremely broad. There's nothing wrong with being in this band. If you're judging me for being in an indie rock band, who are you to say I don't "get" metal? It seems to me like you don't "get" music, if you feel that I can only understand and relate to one type of music. If that's not what you're saying then my apologies, that's just the way I took it.

If I didn't "get" metal, why would I spend money on the gear, the albums, spend countless hours practicing, searching for band mates, going to shows, talking to fellow metalheads and supporting local metal artists? I play and listen to metal because I LOVE metal. Bottom line. I wouldn't tell someone they should stick to another genre because they don't "get" it. If they love it, that's all that matters. That being said I understand if you made that comment because you misunderstood my views on stage attire, which I take the blame for, and hopefully explained a bit better this time around.

xCaptainx has a great point on this subject, he's comfortable in shorts (who isn't? Basketball shorts are heaven) but he can still wear them without looking like he doesn't care, because not only is he tattoo'd up and his stage presence demonstrates his passion for his music. It's not about each specific article of clothing related to your genre, it's just about generally looking like you care. To me he looks like he really cares about what he's doing.

Narrillnezzurh, you have a point, but keep in mind that wasn't the only part of my post... I did go on to (attempt) to explain it in detail rather than just leave that statement out there. But again that post needs rephrasing and revising, like I said before, that statement should probably have read more like "Anyone who doesn't look like he cares about what he's doing is an idiot." Simply because if you don't look like you care, your audience will wonder why they should care. Everyone knows that basic principle is SO important in the music industry (not specifically the music itself, but it does effect that was well), if you don't come across like you really care and are passionate about your music, then why should anyone else? Be it a record label or a random fan at a bar, you need to show them you care. While the way you dress is not the important part, it is still a part of a bigger picture, which is showing that you care about your music.

TL,DR: My first post sucked ass at explaining my views. Dress like you care about your music is my only requirement, whether it be basketball shorts or leather pants, as long as you look like you care.

2. goodtimes

goodtimes SS.org Regular

i pretty much always wear cut off jeans, some kind of t shirt, and i go barefoot. i live in florida so i'm not gonna wear pants or long sleeves (unless its winter) cuz i would die of heat exhaustion.
    i don't think it really matters what we wear, i know when i go to shows i could care less what the bands are wearing as long as the music is good.

3. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

For me it depends a little on the band, but it's usually variations on the same idea.

Recently Vacated Graves: True Zombie Metal (at a Halloween show last year):
    Green button-down shirt, open over zombie ribcage chestpiece
    Green BDU pants
    Combat boots
    [​IMG]

Shroud of Bereavement a couple years ago:
    Plain black T-shirt
    Dragon necklace
    Black BDUs
    Combat boots
    [​IMG]

Coffin Birth earlier this year:
    Black Dickies workshirt over green T-shirt
    Black BDUs
    Combat Boots
    [​IMG]

Summoning Hate back in '08:
    Band T-shirt
    Urban camo BDUs
    Combat boots
    [​IMG]

At work, though, I wear pretty much the same thing as in the Coffin Birth picture:
    Black Dickies workshirt over black or green T-shirt
    Black or green BDUs
    Combat boots
    (and of course, the stupidest guitar I can find :lol:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

WarriorOfMetal: First off, you are so much win.

Secondly, I saw those colored Dean guitars on MF, those are so weird! How did they feel?

5. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

I dunno, honestly. I didn't plug it in, and I didn't actually play it for very long. Neck shape wasn't bad, but I was mostly just fucking around.

6. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

Fair enough. I just dont subscribe to the comfort theory. im there to put on a show and i think wardrobe is important. Im not saying it has to be one set thing or everyone has to match, but i think shorts and a tshirt look unprofessional. Motley crue has always been a band thats had great stage presence. They all dress totally differently but they definitely get done up to go on stage. Thats the way i roll.

7. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

I think bands look best when they're wearing whatever they would normally wear, assuming they wear clothes that actually fit.

8. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

IMO the only guy who should be in light/basketball shorts is the drummer. Cargo shorts get a pass as long as you're not wearing black socks/black shoes.

I guess it's a delicate balance between 'I don't care" which when I am in the crowd I just find lame... And "I'm trying too hard" which is probably worse.

9. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

real simple... every time :)

[​IMG]

10. beheading

beheading SS.org Regular

I basically just wear skinnies, the baggiest shirt I can find and whatever shoes I have on that day. I make sure I don't look daggy though, if I do, I'll just find something to chuck on at the drummers place that doesn't look as bad. I do think it helps a band when they make sure they look ok on stage, it makes the audience think they're more serious imo.

11. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

CAMO FTW!!! :hbang:I really need to get camo shorts. Everyone in my band owns a pair except me haha.

btw

shorts rule :hbang: