Live attire

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Skullet, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

whats wrong with shorts? I like some jean or cargo shorts and a random band T, or I grab a plain T and write something smart ass on it with a marker.

2. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

I went from this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To finally this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

not sure, but i think i might be GASing for your
    singer...:wub:

don't have a band now, but would've killed for
    a good frontman 2 years ago. guess you gotta
    be in the right place, at the right time..:shrug:

4. tristanroyster

tristanroyster SS.org Regular

Venus Fallen Tee. Jeans. Sperrys.

5. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

Everyone does ;)

[​IMG]

6. The Norsemen

The Norsemen A Viking

Damn dude don't be such a tightwad.
    I get what you're saying but damn, not even shorts without the proper requirements? :rolleyes:
    Dude it's like 120 degree's on stage. You're out of your mind if you think me or anyone else in my band is agreeing to wear matching outfits.

You sure you dress punk/metal/alternative?
    Last I checked punk and metal were about not giving a fuck. Not a 3 piece suit and certainly not calling someone an idiot when they don't dress "the way you're supposed to."
    Seems like you might just like the outfits and don't really know what being metal is about. Perhaps you'd be best sticking to your v necks and sort of indie rock group.

I get the whole theme idea or whatever you're talking about but just because 5 dudes don't wear the same article of clothing doesn't mean they're unprofessional and certainly doesn't say anything about their intelligence. By your logic, every dime a dozen slipknot rip off nu metal band with matching jumpsuits from the high school talent show is more professional than other professional musicians around the world.

When we get on stage everyone knows who we are. We have instruments and we make noises with them that kind of encompass the entire venue.
    I'm pretty sure that announces our presence well enough.

Nobody is going to look at a guy onstage and go "Hey Bill is that the guitar player for GnarKill DeathRape? I mean I think he is, playing guitar for GnarKill DeathRape and all but his shirt doesn't really match the other guys so I can't be sure."
    and nobody is going to go "Dammit Phil I loved their performance! The music was so good and they played so tight. They've obviously played gigs before and know how to throw down a solid performance for their dedicated audience, It was almost professional. Gosh if only those guys would have wore matching dress shirts! I'd have signed them right now to ImageMattersMoreThanMusic Records!!1!!1!!"

It's a concert, not a fashion show.
    It's about the music.

7. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

^
    First of all, metal isn't about "not giving a fuck". Punk is however.

He isn't saying that you should wear the exact same thing, he's saying that you should wear things that are in the same style and complement eachother. If 1 guy is wearing a suit, and the other dude shorts and a t-shirt it's just going to look stupid.

As much as everyone seems to want to deny it, the show and visuals play an equally important role in a live performance as the music.
    If you watched a set with a band wearing different styles of clothes, and then another set with the same band but with clothes that complement eachother, you will without a doubt enjoy the second performance more.

Also, hating on V-necks just makes you come off as immature. A clean black V-neck will always look better and more in style than a band shirt for example.

8. The Norsemen

The Norsemen A Viking

First of all, let me start by saying I was drinking the other day and my reply to that was a little brash.
    Secondly, I still think that dude is uptight.
    I get what he's saying, just that it's unnecessary to put so much emphasis on it.
    I think I'm coming from a different walk of life or something here.
    Clothing has no bearing on how I enjoy a musical performance. I'm sorry it's so important to you.
    I can understand that subconsciously, it would pull a performance together in the viewers mind but it's not that big of a deal.
    I've already agreed to the fact that you shouldn't have one guy entirely out of place or whatever but it's never, ever, ever going to make or break your performance.

I'm not hating on anything either. V necks are...not for me and I'll leave it at that but people can wear whatever they want. That's what I'm saying here.
    Having preference doesn't make me immature. Style is subjective.
    However, obviously a v neck is going to be more classy than a band shirt with a mangled baby hanging from a hook by its lower intestine on the front.
    Sorry to be a dick but thank you for stating the obvious. The general public doesn't listen to what I do nor do they appreciate the culture very much.

All I'm saying is Live Attire isn't monumental. At least not in the metal world it isn't.
    If your comfort zone happens to be a v neck, a green duck suit, or a pair of shredded shorts then so be it.

9. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Matchign gear dosn't always come off that well.

But when In Flames had their Jesterhead shirts that I thought that was pretty cool, always wanted one of those shirts.

Much like when they had their Blue and yellow footbal t-shirts.

10. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

Anyone who makes blanket statements about a broad, complex topic without considering the broadness or the complexity of the topic is an idiot. Flat out.

Not to be confrontational, but that's a pretty big generalization, and one that I fundamentally disagree with for a variety of reasons.

11. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

I guess we have the answer here to why you think like you do.

In obscure forms of metal (or other music) that don't attract many listeners except for a somewhat cult following, apperance isn't top priority, but it's still on the list.
    If one of these metal bands for example would go on stage dressed as jocks, the crowd would probably think they're weird because it doesn't "fit" the music.

And you can never be too obvious on this forum when it comes to clothes. It's dominated by metalheads who think that it doesn't matter at all what you wear in life, and that you're a preppy faggot if you wear anything but cargo shorts and band shirts :lol:

12. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

13. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

This was me (far right) playing in a funk rock and for a regional high school competition, made the top 8 out of 30/40 so bands which wasn't to bad considering I jumped in two weeks before hand.
    Pictures by ApplesNZ - Photobucket think a certain style goes a long way to show effort and love for what your doing, however never go matching thats just fucked. You can see were each a little different, couple of the guys are wearing hats and our vocalist whore a blazer.

I've seen bands before that dress completely different from one another and appear on a completely different wave length from each other on stage.. their also normally the one's completely out of time/out of tune etc.

14. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I think some people think FAR too much about this kind of stuff.

15. bazguitarman

bazguitarman Half assed at best

Tennessee, home of hillbillies and halfstacks.
    I think attire should match your genre of music. And maybe the entire band should think of a unified appearance. But like most things in life it can't be set in stone.

If you are in a metal band then cargo shorts and a band t-shirt may be the perfect thing and totally professional. But is it a requirement for success? I don't think so. Maybe any form of all black or even something thematic and theatrical will work.

The same applies for other genres of music. If you play country music you may wear Wrangler jeans, a plaid western shirt and ostrich skin boots. But I've seen succesfull, national touring country stars who wore cargo shorts and band t-shirts.

I think the rule is, there really isn't any rule. I always tended to wear what I was comfortable in, thought fit the genre of music and fit together as a band. Beyond that, I just wanted to look cool and not like an idiot.

Image is part of the package, but not the entire package.

16. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

To add to what I said earlier...Music should always speak for itself, unless you're in a black metal band.

17. LolloBlaskhyrt

LolloBlaskhyrt HD Pro abuser

My band is thinking about something like this (without the cross and with no sleeves)

[​IMG]

At the moment, all members wear black tees (blank or with other band artworks) and black or camo pants. Shorts only if indoor or very hot.

18. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

When I was playing regularly I just usually played in whatever I happened to wear that day...

19. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

I think some people think FAR to little about this kind of stuff. Basketball shorts and band tee = "Get the fuck out of here you idiots" to me.:noplease:

20. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

It's purely a comfort thing for me.

[​IMG]

(right leg is now completely blacked out from Knee to ankle)

[​IMG]

When you play an hour set, and spend most of the time running around, jumping, going mental, b-ball shorts are MUCH more comfy. I'm heavily tattooed, legs included. And most of the time, you pick up A LOT of merch on tour. Most of my wardrobe is clothes I've received for free from sponsors or bands I've toured with.

only time I ever play in jeans now is when I've forgotten to get changed before our set hahah :lol: and I hate it, it's too damn hot! Plus doing a jump like the one above is pretty difficult in jeans!

Like I said, don't put so much effort into it. Find your own natural style and roll with that. Most 'iconic' guitarists have their own style and it oozes confidence. I've seen a lot of bands who try the 'lets all wear the same stuff' or bands that force dress codes, you can easily see who is really uncomfortable with it haha.

And hey, when you're as heavily tattooed as I am, you look awesome in pretty much anything :lol::cool: ;)