Listening position placement

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by METAL123, Nov 27, 2017.

1. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

I ordered the Primacoustics London 10 set and am looking to get the best sound out of my room possible as I will be getting more into mixing.

My room is approximately 15 x 12. From what I understand, it is best to keep your listening position facing the shortest wall. Here's the issue with the shortest wall with my room, on one end I have windows there where when the weather is bad, it leaks every now and then. Not much I can do to fix it, we've done all we can. And I don't want to risk my gear getting damaged.

The other short wall is fine, but there is a door on the left side. Meaning I can't position my desk and monitors in the centre of that wall. It will be a little bit more to the right.

Is it better to keep my listening position where it is right now (facing the longer side of the wall), or is it better to move my listening position to face the smaller side of the wall (the one with the door) and have it closer to the right?

I understand they both aren't ideal situations, but I'm just looking for a way to make the best with the space that I have.

Here are some pics of my current setup. I will be taking down the foam and replacing it with the Primacoustic kit.
    https://ibb.co/album/iOstVa

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I'd say put your listening position facing the shortest wall that does end up leaking. Move your desk away from the wall so you can walk behind it. This will help with cable routing and help mitigate water leakage. You live in Canada, you have to worry about that for like 2 months out of the year.

Roll up a couple old sheets or a blanket and lay them where the floor meets the wall. That way, if there is water that gets in, it will soak on the sheets/blankets before getting to your equipment. If the water is coming in via a window, you can re-caulk the window and that will definitely help keep the water out. Fkin check that shit often. As often as you'd check a sump pump, or your furnace air filter - dont be lazy.

My room isn't ideal either. It's odd shaped, but I put my desk facing the shortest wall in front of a window and I could tell the difference, as I had it facing the longest wall before. Did my mixes get better because of it? Probably not. Did my ears stop hearing weird phasing issues due to lack of treatment in a small room with the incorrect listening position? Yep.

If you offset your desk to the left or right, facing the other short wall in order to avoid the door, you could also hear weird phasing issues.

3. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

If you rent, make sure your landlord or property management company is aware that your windows leak. Sometimes they just don't know, but would take action if they did. If they're aware and just decide not to do anything about it, then they not being smart... nothing destroys a property structure like leaking water. Leaks, no matter how small, usually turn into very costly repairs when left unattended.

If you own, then pay a professional to fix or replace your windows asap. Leaks usually destroy a whole bunch of things you don't know about until it's too late.

4. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

It hasn't leaked in several months as we got repairs to our roof which seemed to fix it as well as other leaks we had. With that being said, I just want to be on the safe side just in case and not put my equipment right against it.

5. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

Just rearranged the studio. Want to get everything in order before I start setting up my speakers right and before I start finding the first reflection points:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What are your thoughts?

6. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

How far are the speakers rear ports from the wall?

Check out the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) recommended specifications for Control Rooms for things like ideal RT60, distance from wall etc.