Line 6 Spider valve 112 mkii vs boss katana 112 50w

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bicycle.day, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Bicycle.day

Bicycle.day SS.org Regular

Hi dudZ
    I really don't like to post VS discussion and I promise u guyz this is the final one.
    I had a spider valve hd100 and 112 about 8 years ago. Both of them mki.
    I really had great memory from those days. Spider valve's killer tone is always ringing in my head but I'm not sure because it's about 8 or even 9 years ago and maybe I'm thinking it's a great amp because I just had started playing guitar and I didn't have any idea what a killer tone really is.
    I find a spider valve 112 mkii in the local shop in a very great price (200$).
    In the another hand I can buy a boss katana 112 50w or even a Yamaha thr10x.
    I'm looking for a great high gain tone. Not a 80's tone, something like modern metal tone.
    Which one has better and more realistic tone?!?
    Really appreciate for helping me to decide

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I haven’t heard the new spiders, but the Katana has been getting great reviews. But, the 100 watt version seems to be punchier. The spider, on the other hand, doesn’t have a great reputation, other than as a beginners amp. But that’s hearsay, so hopefully someone who owns both with chime in.

3. Bicycle.day

Thanks for response
    But I think spider VALVE is a different amp than regular spider. Yes ss spiders have a digital tone but I think game changed when they cooperate with bogner and add tube to spider project.
    In around 200$
    Is spider valve 112 mkii valuable for the money?!?
    Or no something like katana or thr10x are better choices?!?

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

You only get a smoother signal with the Spider Valve, and most likely it will be louder than even a Katana 100. But you still get the mushy and undefined Spider preamp sound. But the Katana really has the better feel and better sound. It's bouncy and the resonance dsp in the poweramp is top notch! Line out on the 100 heads and combos sound legit thru the PA too.

AkiraSpectrum, Shask and Bicycle.day like this.
  5. Bicycle.day

Great
    I couldn't tast the katana. But it has great reviews and boss makes it so fun with bunch of effects and USB direct recording.
    Is katana something like gt100 or gt10 in combo version ?!?
    I really can't make my final decision

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I really love my Katana head. That is even when playing it next to an Axe-FX II. It really is a killer amp, especially for what it cost. I would also suggest the 100 over the 50.

It is kind of like a Boss GT-1 built into an amp, but there is something special about the poweramp design in the Katana that REALLY helps the feel, so you would not get the same results using a GT-1 into a different amp. People have tried.

I will say though, that it is not amazing for modern metal right out of the box. You really have to dig into the software to dial in the OD Boosts, Parametric EQ, and Noise Gate to dial in more modern sounds. What it does have is a killer feel.... something about the way it feels just makes it fun to play, where many other cheaper digital amps can sound good, but often feel kind of flat, and are not inspiring to play.

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I loved my Valve mkii. (I still see them used live)

I would have to try a Katana before I would buy one over a spider valve.

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Ive tried both and the Katana wins hands down, especially the new Artist 100.