Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless - I have to disagree with the reviews

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rev2010, Aug 26, 2010.

1. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

G50 ftw, definitely one of the better purchases I've made over the past few years, I haven't had a single issue yet, the only thing I wish it had would be a better quality cable.

2. themike

themike Chug Life

3. victim5150

victim5150 SS.org Regular

You cn also get great cables for it at lavacables.com Mogami, Canare, Van Den Hul, Evidence and Mark is great to work with.

4. whosdealin

whosdealin SS.org Regular

I have the G90, I sold my G30 because the G90 is better, period..... No question that the G30 colors your tone. I compared them side by side. With that being said the G30 is still a great unit for the price. The G90 is amazing, it is transparent and the G30 was not. I cant say the G30 is bad because it doesnt color the tone a great deal but if you are picky about keeping your original tone then you will notice the difference.

5. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

I really like that the G90 has a switch so that it is always on when used with a power conditioner. I hate that when I fire up my rig, I have to hit the power button on my x2. It's a small thing, I know, but its annoying. One of these days I wanna get my hands on the G90.

6. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

You won't be disappointed man, if it's the same as the G50 as Line6 would have it, then it's pretty much perfect tone. I would just recommend a new cable for it as the one that came with the unit feels a bit cheap to me.

7. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Yeah, I would definitely get a new cable for it. I have yet to hear good things about it, honestly. I'm lucky enough that the guy I bought my x2 from had a Mogami cable with a neutrik connector for the transmitter. That thing is flawless!

8. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

the G50 is at least 3x better than the G30

9. mainly

mainly SS.org Regular

for you guys using the g50, if youre putting it on your pedalboard, how to you cope with those stupid antena sticking out of the unit?

i have the G30 and id get the g50 except for those silly antena...

cause the fact that the unit is plastic and feels like the battery cover might fly off any second with all the tension thats one it from holding the batterie in.

why did they have to make all these silly differences between the different models? such as the different cable used with the g50 too, i just saw that... why the hell didnt they just use the 1/4 " to 1/4" like the g30? then if it fails you just make another one? dont tell me its something to do with sound quality...

i will say though, i think you guys are hearing things saying it colors youre tone. i recorded both my cable tone, and the g30 and heard NO difference at all. this thing is 100percent transparent(as was the x2 i had but the stupid cable kept failing on me- 3 different ones!!)

really youre ear cant tell the difference when it comes to 24 bit ADA. the sound going in that wireless is the same sound that comes out. period.

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

They changed the cable because the T4A (or whatever it's called) is in theory more reliable and it sticks more firmly into the wireless unit. It's also much smaller, so more space can be used in the unit to make it longer range or sound better or whatever reason you want to attach.

The antenna thing, you can just leave them lying flat, unless you're planning on standing miles away it won't make any difference. A good friend of mine has a T Rex pedalboard with the wireless mounted on the underside, works just fine. These things have insane range anyway.

EDIT: The following is a pointless rant, this edit was inserted after I wrote it and realise it is a pointless rant. It's not starting arguments or disputes, but in fact giving an 'everybody's right' view lol.

As for tone loss, it's very likely that the transmitter [EDIT]can affect the tone of some guitars, because digitisation is not a flawless or lossless transition, nor is undoing it at the other end. Any circuitry between a guitar and amp, including the wires that you knit your controls together with, quality of pots, even the cables attaching the pickups to your pots etc has some tiny little effect which all add up to some (if only very slightly) noticable difference. Even if it's just the input impedance of the transmitter playing tricks on your tone pot cap. On the other hand, if it's that small and your playing at gig volumes, who's going to notice or care? lol.

I just find it funny that people will spend hundreds on keeping their signal chain clear and completely forget about all the crap in the guitar. It's beside the point though, haha.

11. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

would you mind sharing said clips? I'd just like to hear them for myself, I haven't tried out the G30, but the other guitarist in my band is looking for a wireless unit but a little hesitant to drop money on the G50/90 because of the price, so if I could play that for him, maybe he'd come around instead of waiting to find a used G50 locally (his current plan, lol).

12. drenz

drenz SS.org Regular

Sorry to say i disagree with everything you've said dude :/ I'm not saying you're wrong, but for the kind of tone i use, i have noticed ZERO difference in tone from the previous cables i've been using to the wireless system when i switched over. If anything it improved my tone, there was a noticeable reduction in overall noise when i switched to the wireless system.

In my own rack i use a G90, but the bassist from my band uses a G50, and the other guitarist from my band uses a G30, so i have access to all 3 of the units they offer. I've plugged all 3 in through my rig and they all sounded identical to my ears.

The build quality of all the transmitters and receivers has also been very good to me also. Your standards may be higher than my own, but the quality is definitely tour-able, and i would not hesitate for a second to take my G90 on the road, nor are my band members hesitant to take their units with them either. They all love theirs and i trust their judgement.

Like i said i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just disagreeing with you. I think these wireless systems are some of the best on offer, but with any product available on the market, they can never please absolutely everybody.

13. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

i have the G50 and am completely happy with it after the last few gigs i've used it. can't complain about the build quality except the proprietary cable used. good thing you can change the orientation how the sender is attached to your belt by 90° steps, so that there is minimal cable twisting and pulling. i've ABed it a few times and i haven't noticed a detrimental change in gain or tone. .

i used a sennheisser freeport before this, which i decided to replace after it cut out for no reason during two shows.

14. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

Did you record DI's? Would you mind posting them so others can hear for themselves, to maybe help other people make purchasing decisions.

15. mainly

mainly SS.org Regular

sure i could post the clips, but whats the best way to post them... is there a site you recomend, or can you post them right into these posts on the forum..?

nevermind here is a clip...

first are 2 short clean clips(first g30 then a cable)

follwed by 2 dirty clips (again g30 follwed by cable)

its an mp3 at 320 bit rate, so hopefully no one is gonna say it isnt hq enough, oh, and dont mind the playing, i didnt play the exact riffs, just something similar, and i screwed up the gnr lick, but whatever.. ha

theres no processing whatsoever, just dry guitar, mono recording....

if anyone can hear a difference you have super hearing...(for the clean clips i was playing a little harder for the cable clip, so thats the reason for the slight volume increase)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/17wvo2

16. mainly

mainly SS.org Regular

has anyone with the g50 had any problems with the transmitter. connector? when you jiggle it back and forth, any noise, crackling?

is the only thing im holding back for cause im afraid that thing is gonna crap out on me like al the other non 1/4 inch cables ive used with wireless's . the g30 has 1/4 to 1/4 which i love, of course i discarded the included cable right away, it was noisy as anything, so i just made a short george l cable, and perfect....

as far as tone goes, i hear no difference from a cable and my g30 so there ca be no improvement there in the g50.

is the metal casing worth it? the g30's plastic transmitter i worry about flying apart during a gig....

17. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

My other guitarist and I are still rocking our G30's from the initial release week - they've had tons of battery changes, been dropped and whatnot for what I think is about a year now and still function as they did on day one.

18. mainly

mainly SS.org Regular

hey thanks. i posted a clip, no difference in tone man...

19. Rook

Rook Electrifying

There won't always be, this is what I mean.

For example, when I use my Jackson with Humbuckers, by TS808 is completely transparent, as is my EB Volume pedal, but when I switch over to my strat (single coils) it makes a huge difference, you lose all that real bright top end straight away.

Active pickups make things more transparent, high impedance pots on passve systems do etc etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you though, I think the G30 and G50 are fabulous systems, and unlike things like the AKG GuitarBug and Samson Air(whatever it's called) system, I'm yet to hear an audible difference.

@Mainly - We've not had any technical issues with the G50's yet, however cables being cables, investing in a high quality connector is always worth your while. Look into getting a mogami 1/4" to T4A patch lead (I'll find the link in a minute), that way your cable's less likely to go wrong, and you have a spare (the original) should the worst happen.

20. mainly

mainly SS.org Regular

have you listened to that clip i posted? id still bet with you if i posted a clip of a strat- g30 vs a cable you wouldnt hear a difference either. the highs arent that much higher in a strat vs a les paul. which i used, no active pickups. i also used pretty high end gear to record that clip. i dont think line 6 would have released a unit that colores the tone of strats but not les pauls/ or other humbucker guitars. it would look pretty stupid on them dont you think? afterall their whole business is digital sound technology!!