Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless - I have to disagree with the reviews

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rev2010, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Picked this up last night and just spent about 2 hours messing with it. I noticed pretty much right off the bat that despite Line 6's claims and the hundreds of positive reviews out there that is does affect the tone. Now don't get me wrong, I'm really not expecting a system to give me an absolute 100% match in sound, just enough that I can't personally hear it.

You all might laugh at me here but I've owned Nady wireless systems (VHF) twice in my life and I've always personally never heard a difference in tone, seemed seemless to me. The biggest problem with Nady for me is the total shit build quality. My last transmitter cable started cutting in and out and I was super delicate with it and only used it a few times. It had been sitting nicely next to the receiver for a few months before I plugged it in again, no bending of the cable or anything, it just broke on it's own! So I decided to give the Relay a try since it uses standard cables.

The first thing I noticed that irked me was the shitty quality battery door cover, I mean really?? They couldn't do better than this?? It's a super thin little latch and with the batteries in you can see them pushing out the door slightly, it actually pushes the door out a pinch. Wonder how long it will take for that little thin plastic clip to snap off or just stop latching. I can't believe they didn't do better than this for the battery door. The belt clip however is nice and it's metal.

Playing I couldn't discern any noticeable latency (nor with my Nady), but something just stood out and for a few minutes I was trying to pinpoint it. I tried all the "Cable tone" settings and swapped back and forth between the cable and wireless and then it hit me... it's squashing the low end! Palm mutes just don't have that same oomph and feeling in the chest with the Relay. Even open power chords just don't have as much of that low end growl you feel in your body when standing near your amp. I even checked this with clean chords and found the same.

Maybe it only does this with EMG's, as I didn't bother to test my Schecter with passive's cause I need it for both. I don't know but I can see some people missing this because it's a bit subtle but for me stood out like crazy. Outside of the low end it keeps the tone accurate but I also noticed what seems like some very slight artifacting when playing faster runs that I don't get with the cable... it just has moments where it sounds slightly noiser than it should.

Anyhow, I'm rather disappointed with this as these models get the best across the board reviews I've personally ever seen on a wireless system. No, my system is not broken, it functions fine and I do feel this is an issue in the design. It's also not the cables I'm using. As I said, the unit functions perfectly in every other way and to the greater majority if ears out there I don't think most would even notice, especially excited kids that write glowing reviews after 10 minutes of use cause they're sooo excited.

So this unit is being returned. Even if the low end were reproduced fine I think that weak battery door latch would eventually bite me in the ass as I'm rather sure it would fail over time. We're not playing live yet so I'm just using this in house to avoid stepping (or having others step on) on my cables so I think I'm gonna see if I can just get a new Nady transmitter for now.

PS. If this write up disagrees with you and your experience with the unit I apologize. I'm not saying everyone that has positive words on this unit is wrong, not at all. It's just that I hear the difference and am not willing to deal with that difference.

Rev.

FILTHnFEAR, petereanima and nojyeloot like this.
  2. victim5150

victim5150 SS.org Regular

Everything you mentioned is the reason I bought the G50. Much better unit. Everything is metal. Receiver and transmitter. Solid battery door. Just a better unit. But more expensive. You get what you pay for lots of times.

3. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

what he said. I picked up the G50 for the metal casing and the LED screen on the transmitter. It has a battery indicator, timer for remaining battery life and a light to show battery levels, plus you can rename your channels. Plus it's metal, not plastic. t's the most user friendly transmitter I've ever had and the best wireless I've ever used.

I've never mucked around with the cable length feature. Nice novelty/selling point, but I've always used wireless's and never wanted to simulate the decay from a long cable.

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Have either of you guys tried the G30? If so, did you notice this low end "compression" or slight lack of low end? I don't know what to call it, compression or just a bit of absence in the low end. I'm not one with a super articulate discerning ear though I do have excellent and undamaged hearing. I could tell right away something was slightly amiss. As mentioned, I've used the cheapo Nady units and never found this. <sigh>... I really want to love the unit, even if it only meant spending a little more to get the next higher up Line 6 unit. I just don't know if the sound quality will be any different on the G50 over the G30.

Rev.

5. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

Rev
    have you tried hooking it directly into your computer to compare the EQ on the clips and see what the actual frequency differences are? That would be interesting to see.

6. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Compare Relay G90, G50 & G30 Wireless Guitar Systems | Line 6
    that compares all the G** units, the only difference between the G30 and G50 is a slightly increased dynamic range, larger transmission range, LED screen on pack and metal casings.

Would they explain the differences we are experiencing between the G30 or G50? hard to say; I didnt try the G30 at all, I had my heart set on the G50. Would be interesting to compare the two. My main reason for the G50 was the LED screen and metal casing.

7. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

No, I thought about it but honestly it isn't worth the trouble. I'm off from work this week on vacation just chillin and didn't want to get involved making sound graphs and sound clips to share this time round. I know what I'm hearing for sure, as mentioned I swapped back and forth several times and could hear the difference. Sorry to disappoint here, I usually do comparisons as I did with the Blackouts vs. EMG 85 thread I made. It just takes a bunch of time to do, not something I want to spend vacation time on though.

Rev.

8. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

rev, its interesting, i was introduced to the g30 back when we toured with fear factory, i had my x2 which didnt really affect the tone at all but was just terrible build quality and would cut out for no reason (probably the shitty cable)

dino's tech had the g30 and was raving about it, and i tried it and dug it, but noticed it affected the tone very slightly and there was a very slight gain loss, but it was pretty minimal, i had to a/b to notice.

after my x2 died i went back to the cable for a bit, and in the middle of our last tour i picked up a g90, and all i have to say is, its the perfect fucking wireless.
    i didnt a/b, but then again i didnt notice any difference whatsoever, didnt have to adjust my settings at all either, it is perfect, and seems to be road ready.
    the only issue i have is those damn proprietary cables, i wish it accepted 1/4'' cables like the g30 does, because after 4-5 shows i had already destroyed the straight cable, thankfully my good buddy at gc helped me get a few extra ones for free, and line6 say they are working on a right angle one, but other than that issue its perfect, great battery life and ability to monitor as it has like 4 different battery meters between the receiver and transmitter and actually tells you how much time you have left in hours and minutes too, and it runs off of 2AA batteries as well!
    rules

nojyeloot likes this.
  9. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

I've thought about a wireless and now that I heard these reviews.I'm hitting the G50 or 90.

10. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Yup exactly! that's my favourite part of my G50 as well :hbang:

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Misha, thanks for pointing that out too cause that is one thing I failed to mention... I did notice that it seemed the volume was also ever so slightly less with the G30. Not dramatically of course, but I could hear the gain was indeed a pinch less with the G30 than with the cable.

Thanks for confirming this! Man, I would like to give the upper models a try but don't think it's worth the cost at this point for in home use. I may just wait till we're ready to play out live and then drop the cash. I got the G30 for $249 on sale at GC, one of the reasons I just had to pick it up.

Rev.

12. victim5150

victim5150 SS.org Regular

I got a better cable for mine at lavacables.com You can get just about any type cable for it with Nuetrik right angles and the silent connectors if you want. I got 2 extras: a Mogami and a Canare with Nuetrik connectors.

Stooly likes this.
  13. PeteLaramee

PeteLaramee AssMaster General

I have the G90 and like it MUCH better than the x2 XDRs I had. It's not completely transparent, but closer than any of the other 8-10 units I've tried. My low B sounds great with the G90...:shred:

14. getaway_fromme

getaway_fromme SS.org Regular

I just got my G90 shipped...haven't had the opportunity to use it, but I can't wait! I was looking at the G-30 but I figured I would lose it unless it was racked lol...Too many power cables to watch after. Thanks you guys for confirming its greatness!

15. shogunate

shogunate SS.org Regular

I was surprised to see Rev the one to author this review (thank you by the way) as you're usually pretty objective and neutral on bashing subjects/products :lol: but I suppose your review is too, and that's why I think this is a valid review and now also has the notorious bulb's admonishing away from this unit as well.

Been thinking about going wireless, now I have one option definitely scratched off the list of possibles.

16. shogunate

shogunate SS.org Regular

I was surprised to see Rev the one to author this review (thank you by the way) as you're usually pretty objective and neutral on bashing subjects/products :lol: but I suppose your review is too, and that's why I think this is a valid review and now also has the notorious bulb's admonishing away from this unit as well.

Been thinking about going wireless, now I have one option definitely scratched off the list of possibles.

17. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Nah I don't think I "bashed" it really. I did say it sounded pretty much accurate in every other way other than some kind of compression or reduction in the low frequencies and a bit of occasional harshness or artifacting. I also said most probably wouldn't even notice any difference.

But everyone can tell that battery door is unacceptably flimsy. Afterward I read a review on MF that made mention of it too, and the guy said he's on his second transmitter in only a few months cause of it.

The other thing to call into question is the price, it retails for $299 whereas my cheapo Nady which sounded far better was $79. Though, the Nady unit's are horribly flimsy which is why I was looking for a better unit. IMO opinion I think the G30 should sell for between $99-$150. At least others here swear by the next up in their lines.

Rev.

18. drkam6

drkam6 SS.org Regular

I just got at home both the G30 and the G50 for a comparison tryout, and I also agree with Rev. The G30 sounded more digital than the G50 to start - a bit plasticky. I noticed that my lows were a bit lost. Did back and forth immediate tryouts between a regular cable and the G30. The three cable tone replication settings didn't work either, in fact they started killing my tone.

Then I tried the G50 and it felt a way better unit. Not only buildwise, but I got to approximate the cable tone much closer and my lows recovered a bit more. To get it even closer I just bumped a notch on the cable tone replication. It is not 100% a regular cable tone, but it's a very good 90-95%. It would be really hard for somebody else to hear the difference. (I'm using passive humbuckers in my guitars).

The G50 stays, and I'm returning the G30 back to the music store.

19. PirateMetalTroy

PirateMetalTroy The Tooth Fairy

I just got a g50 as well. I went with the g50 over the g30 despite not being able to use a standard cable, simply for the larger range and all metal reciever + transmitter. There's a place here that sells the connectors for this thing so getting them replaced "which i know they will have to be eventually) should be easy. I can't comment about the tone sucking or anything like that because it seems like every time I get new gear, it's always 2-3 things changing at once, never just once piece at a time. I just tried it out with my e530 straight into a Randall 2x12.

Personally I think it sounds pretty good. I'll have to a/b with a regular cable, but I'm not sure I'll be able to hear anything. Sounds good, man.

20. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Been using my G30 every day since they came out with no issues, but maybe I'm just deaf and dumb :lol: