Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

In which case you must be able to.
    Do you know how I do that?

2. Poltergeist

Poltergeist SS.org Regular

I just bought a Logidy EPSi for my POD HD to disable the stock cab and mics for custom Impulse Responses for cabinet and Mic replacement. I just want to make sure I'm going about the setup and signal chain right as I've never added any type of pedal to my HD 500 before.

I use studio/direct output mode currently (before the EPSi), and I record via the S/pdif out of the POD HD into my Mbox interface and then to Pro Tools. I've read other forums with users who have used the EPSi and they chose to use "Stack front" and the other users suggested "AMP" output mode and said it's the 'better suited output mode for the EPSi'... I just want to verify if this is true or if it's personal preference? My goal is to make my setup the same for Studio and Live use... so I'd like to stick with one mode and wonder which one will be best?... I NEVER intend to connect this setup to a real guitar cab.. ONLY FRFR monitors or direct FOH if used in a live situation.

Secondly, I'm assuming the best bet is to put this in the FX loop of the HD 500 as suggested by others... I feel like a noob asking, but what is the best way to connect it with the FX LOOP? The Logidy Epsi has a L/R IN and a L/R out. So would my chain be like: POD HD> EPSi's output Left> into the POD'S FX LOOP> and then just my guitar connected thru the Guitar IN of the POD HD? or is that wrong?

Also, when I add the FX LOOP BLOCK in the signal chain, I should place it right after the AMP, right?... I know never before the amp of course; but it should go right after, not all the way at the end of the signal chain, correct? Some people have said this EPSi can clip or be pretty hot and has no clip indicator, but some have suggested turning the Loop Send down -10db and boosting the Return +10db. This reason is why I'm concerned about the OUTPUT mode and how to tame it properly so it works well with the POD.

Other great random suggestions from users is using the Pre-Amp models over the Full models. Another user suggested turning down the D.E.P to get more control over the actual amp parameters.I read of other's in the past of having good and bad experiences with this stompbox, but ultimately, it's because everyone has different gear and different expectations and I know what to expect with IRs... I just want to make sure I'm accommodating the Logidy EPSi with my setup correctly so I don't have a bad experience with it like some Line 6 users have with their POD HD'S.

Thanks for your time in advance...

P.S. Anyone using IR's with their POD'S presently, feel free to share which ones have helped augment and improve your POD HD tonally. Once I get the EPSi in the mail and set it up correctly, I plan to load it with my favorite Redwirez IR'S from the Big Box series...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Not getting your issue. Just program it as you wish on the pedal scaling % and leave it on without on-off assignments.

4. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

I am thinking of purchasing a POD HD500X. Is it possible to either dress up or use its cleans then switch channels to the 6505+ Lead channel and just have EQ noisegate maybe a screamer compresser that sort of stuff while retaining the orignal sound of the 6505+.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im in the same boat.

Im wanting to have the Pod HD connected to my ENGL preamp 4cable method.
    Im wanting to use the Pod for cleans/ambience/synths and the ENGL for main rhythm and solo tones just using the Pods effects.

Im hoping it works like this. Im unsure if it does though.
    because the Pod cannot do amp communication/channel switching, we would need it to output sound when the effects loop is bypassed on certain patches.

So my ENGL preamp will always be on its high gain rhythm channel, but when I want my clean patch it will be the Pod, bypassing the ENGL still stuck on high gain. Hopefully we still get sound from it by bypassing the real amp.
    Does anyone know?

6. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I don't know how it's done also since I don't have an amp and hence the actual need, but the Pod does have midi switching capabilities (just look at the bottom of the Controllers panel in Edit)

7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

The HD300 and HD400 aren't because they aren't MIDI capable. The HD500, HD500X, Pro and ProX are all MIDI capable.

Rizzo likes this.
  8. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Hi guys, please forgive me as I have not been up to speed on this thread or the L6 offerings.

Right now I have a Mesa 20w rectifier head and 4/12 that does not get played as it's tooooo loud and we don't jam anymore.
    I'm thinking a POD Pro mounted into my desk hooked up to a compact PA speaker would be great as I work from home a lot.

Pros
    Compact size for office (Pro)
    Headphones
    Small PA hidden under desk (maybe)
    Quiet playing

Negatives
    Not tube
    Too much time pushing buttons not playing
    Floor unit is a bit awkward
    Expensive PA cabinet
    Less portable if playing out (assumes no case for Pro)
    Low B, can a PA handle it?

Thanks in advance for your PA recommendations for Canada and thoughts on this small rig.

Cheers!

9. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Well honestly, the HD series is old yet. But it's still one of the flagships of the entry level modeling segment, since that segment doesn't exist pretty much anymore.

As for the pros and cons, well a PA can handle virtually anything so... I play guitar, bass, keyboard and synths through it. Just be aware of gain staging and have an adequate speaker. At home, you'll be fine with an 8 or 10 inch. Then ti really depends on your budget. You can check out Behringer, Alto (for a low budget), or Mackie, EV, JBL, Yamaha and anything above for more quality, but a FRFR speaker still is what it is. You'll be better off trying some in a store, maybe together with a Pod already.

"Not tube" is a con just as long as you wish. It's just another technology. My dog is also "not a cat" but it's fine for me. I mean, stick with tube amps or deal with it.

"Too much time pushing buttons not playing" is again very arbitrary. There IS the risk of fiddling, but it's again up to you. Just be a rational human being and limit your options. Do test stuff, but once you program the "right" tone, play with it. Don't look for another ad infinitum. Also, you'll just have to program a tone once. The rest is playing.

Wrapping up, I'd say get a used Pod if you find a bargain for your budget. But you'll be better off with an updated Fractal or Kemper product if you're coming from amp world.

Bevo likes this.
  10. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

This would be the PROX, for $899 CDN..

Thanks you for your feedback!

11. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I wouldn't advise getting one new. Maybe look for an used HD pro (first series, without the X, the X series just adds a little processing power which is not fundamental) or an used HD500, again no X series. In the 1k price range, I'd start considering pro-grade stuff as, again, Kemper or Fractal.

12. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Thank you, I will look for options as suggested

13. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

You're welcome!

14. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

This has GOT to be the longest thread on SSO.
    Can anyone confirm? Just curious

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

and yet I still dont know If the POD will do what I want it to do hahahah

i.e does the Pod have the capabilities to in 1 patch use the sound of a separate preamp going through it (my engl) for say rhythm tones, and in another patch say a clean tone, completely bypass the connected ENGL, but still output sound?.

and also, can I have the Whammy divebomb effect always on the footswitch so I dont have to click it down to activate it?. Seems that by default its a volume pedal with either wah or whammy being chosen by pressing it down first. Whereas I want it the other way around. i.e Divebomb by default with wah/volume being selected by pressing it down.

16. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

^Well people replied to your previous quesitons, me included. It's up to you to try and implement the solutions.

I'll say it again.
    As for 1. look up 4CM with midi channel switching (you can do it on an HD500 or Pro, no other models), as for 2. just activate the effect without footswitch assignment, it's that easy. your assumptions are wrong, just learn to program the thing, no rocket science. you can automate whatever on the pedal.

setup the whammy, assign to EXP1 and the pedal switch. leave it on. grab a wah (or volume pedal block for that matter, or automate amp output), assign to the EXP2 and pedal switch. leave it off. switching will well, switch between the two.

17. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Hey lewis, I tried to use the my Pod HD500 the same way you described it but I am currently a bit stuck. As you can see in this thread I ran into some issues where bypassing the 5153's preamp section would cause break up of the volume and popping noises. I solved that problem by putting the amp model in question in one path of the A/B mixer and muting the other path. However, I cannot for some reason adjust the volume at that point, effectively making the clean channel much louder than the lead channel. I'll keep on trying to find a solution for that but I couldn't get it to work yet. Ironically I've seen people do it on a 300X and on a 500X model but it doesn't work on mine for some reason. Maybe you'll find a solution.

lewis likes this.
  18. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

does anyone know how to make the expression pedal on the hd300 do wah? i can only ever get it to be volume or whammy

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone have any thoughts on putting a tube preamp pedal into the effects loop of these pod units?

What will it do? Will it tube up my tone or at the very least add some extra tube like saturation to the signal?
    I have a laney pulse preamp pedal that just collects dust and i really want to use it on my pedalboard only rig where a pod x3 pro live sits. Going to also be getting the seymour duncan powerstage 170 to run it into a real cab.
    Just wondered if the pulse in a pod effects loop But using the pod amp models (big bottom) would work well?

20. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I never found a tube anything to help a POD HD. Or most modelers. I just use them as-is.

lewis likes this.