Line 6 POD HD Pro Live?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by IbanezShreds, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

When it comes to using a power amp for a digital processor, my opinion is: tubes > solid state. That being said, you should try both. It's more about what you like, as both will work just fine!

2. Darren James

Darren James SS.org Regular

I just have a question maybe someone can help with. I have decided to go with the powered monitor method for my pod HD. I already own two half stacks and want something easier for jam/live shows. My only problem is budget, I have about $600 to spend which isn't a whole lot really. I'm wondering if I should get two cheaper powered monitors or just get one decent one for the time being. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3. Darren James

Also, any suggestions on what make to get is highly helpfull.

4. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

The Alto's are great IMO

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

+1.

I never go through a cab anymore, all of my live presets are the same as my studio presets and I've spent a good while tweaking them to perfection during recording.

A good tip if you are working this way, always tweak your presets against backing tracks, that way you're editing with the way your guitar sit/cuts in a fully mixed band context. It will always come out better than if you edit without anything else in mind.

Invest in some good in-ears, (these are some of the nicest spec'd ones I've found, and a friend of mine in a well known band uses them faithfully: http://guitarearz.com/index.php) get a wireless in-ear setup, put em both on your pedal board.

You plug your wireless into your HD, give FOH a d.i., get a monitor mix at line level to plug into your IEM transmitter. Done.

6. Darren James

I just checked the Alto's, this is what I was looking for, thanks :hbang:

7. Oxygen42

Oxygen42 Bedroom Shredder

Did you have the switches on the i/o panel set to "live" and "amp" rather than "studio" and "mixer"? If it was set to live, it bypasses the cab and mic modeling, leading to that really fizzy tone.

8. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

No problem man.

9. Alekke

Alekke Octopus Djentalis

No. Thats all fine. It probably all comes down to PA system and sound technician.

10. superash

superash SS.org Regular

Playing through a HD Pro live is so crisp. Seriously a great piece of gear.

11. japs5607

japs5607 SS.org Regular

This is what I'm using

[​IMG]

12. Fragments

Fragments SS.org Regular

I use POD hd Pro and i'm about to buy some new gear so i will be running >

line 6 shortboard 2 > hd pro > rocktron velocity 300 > cab

forgive my dumbness but what kind of cables are best for this and where would they go i.e. instrument and speaker cables

also if i was to add a power conditioner how would i hook that up and again what type of cable.

and last but not least if you use the live method above is it still better to keep hd pro on studio setting?

cheers guys

13. progman

progman SS.org Regular

I have the pod hd500x with one Alto 12" and I can tell you that it sounds pretty good and would be loud enough to play in practice, maybe even small shows. I was running the pod through the fx loop of my old marshall vs100 head and cab, and the Alto sounds much tighter and crisper. With tax, I got the Alto from GC for 300$

14. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Speaker cables are a must from the power amp to Cabinet. If you use instrument cables you could fry power amp.

For all other connections (preamp to power amp for instance) use short instrument cables.

As for the power conditioner, no additional cables are needed. You just plug it into wall and plug your other devices into it.

If you use the live method you mention, it's best to turn the cabs off completely, which means the output setting will not matter.

15. fc3603

fc3603 SS.org Regular

I prefer this method. I tried connect pod directly to mixer. It did sound good. But if your band don't have a decent in ear wireless monitor system, The other member will have a hard time listening to your guitar playing. Stage monitor is not enough. Especial when you play in large venue. The PA sound will bounce back to the stage. You might hear the latency. So it's better to have a cabbed sound on stage as a monitor.