Line 6 hx stomp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by tuttermuts, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That's what killed it for me as a backup for the Helix. I was hoping six blocks would mean some DSP was being saved for gapless patch switching, which I could work around having a limited patch if I could switch patches without a hiccup, but from what some people on TGP had said the patch change is about the same as it was on the HD500X, and that was plenty annoying for me going from full-on distortion to clean with FX on the beat. It's easy enough to get around on the big ones because I can basically load two whole rigs and then use snapshots to go between various amps and FX on/off stuff, but six blocks AND a gap in patch switching is a bummer at $600. Maybe it will be negated in a FW update so you can max DSP till there's no more available like you can on the big ones.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The times are long gone when the price of a good depended on how much it costs to manufacture. Usually a new product will wedge itself just below the competition with equivalent features/quality, even if it costs much less to manufacture than said competition.

3. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Got my Stomp on Tuesday! I've not had much time to play around it, but it is EXTREMELY light and equally small.
    I've not had much time to play with the sounds yet, especially since the PC-edit software hasn't been updated for the Stomp and changing parameters on the unit is, you guessed it, not very easy.

There's a few niggles here too... The biggest one is that the Tap/Tuner function cannot be split. I.e. you have to sacrifice a button for Tap/Tuner, or you get neither. I saw no way to assign ANY button's long press to be the Tuner. This feels like a missed flexibility.
    You also cannot re-assign buttons 1 and 2. But in Patches or Preset modes, you'd then be able to use them for secondary functions so that's not as big a deal.

Due to this I connected a boss FS6 to it and the possibilities immediately opened up. However, I feel that two more switches isn't enough here.

I'd like to try a Midi controller to do some more switching (effects on/off, patches up/down, bank up/down etc...). Perhaps leave the banks/paches/snapshots to the controller, and the HX switches to switch effects within a patch.

I've never used Midi in my life. 100% noob here.
    What would be decent, not too large choice here?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM
    AkiraSpectrum and shred-o-holic like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

5. GunpointMetal

By the time you add more switches and MIDI controller, wouldn't almost make more sense just to get the LT version? It wouldn't that much bigger of a footprint, and then you get ALL the features you want without buying another $150-$300 MIDI switcher and you double your DSP capability.

budda, I play music and shred-o-holic like this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Really liking this HX Stomp idea. Great for someone like myself who wants access to everything but doesn't need access to a million patches/sounds per song.
    Might have to grab one of these soon!

I play music, mnemonic and Albake21 like this.
  7. pott

pott SS.org Regular

100% in-line. The HX Stomp is so small though, and my requirements not that much larger, than it + a Midi pedal is still WAY smaller than my AX8.
    Said AX8 makes getting either of the other Helixes redundant as well, as it's already smaller than the full size Helix.

A midi controller would also be compatible with the AX8, so it would go with all my rig.

I will get a better overall idea of how to setup the Stomp once I get to design a few patches; having gone through the options though I just KNOW I'll need at least three more switches.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  8. GunpointMetal

For sure...just saying, the LT has about twice as much DSP as the AX8, too...and works as a MIDI controller. But yeah, that makes sense if you already have a full-size modeler and are looking for a back-up/add-on.
    *I am in no way associated with Line 6, but if @Digital Igloo wants me to be, I'll shill so hard.*

Dineley and pott like this.
  9. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Thanks! I've been definitely looking at this brand, but I am a complete Midi noob and some of the descriptions, videos, instructions are completely arcane to me... I'll need to do some more research.

It does seem as if this solves my issues. I could reserve the unit's footswitches for Presets + bank up/down, and use a controller's switches for 3 stompboxes.
    One downside: I'd lose the tuner... Not sure I could map the tuner to a Midi unit in the first place.

10. budda

Well if you're making a board with the stomp + controller, buy a tiny power supply and a TU-3 or your preferred tuner and there ya go.

11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Thomann has it listed at 529€, which is absolutely ridiculous.

12. budda

The dmc or the stomp? If the latter, not sure why that's ridiculours.

13. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Sorry I was talking about the Stomp.
    That's 3/4 the price of a Helix LT with roughly half the functionality.

14. budda

Almost like functionality doesnt determine price, huh?

15. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

16. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Didn't that post refer to the HX Effects, rather than the Stomp?
    The Helix LT is definitely not 599.99...

17. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I wasn't talking about the LT.

18. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I've done a ton of research over the past couple of days and ended-up getting a Morningstar FX DMC-6. I also upgraded my Boss FS-6 to an FS-7. This will create a very compact rig, and the DMC6 can handle Loop + banks of presets + in-presets stomp changes if needed (I could set it to automatically switch to a Preset's stomp bank when selecting a Preset, and hence only need 1 stomp to select the Preset and have its stompboxes available as well).

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I’d pay more for portability. I ain’t lugging an lt to a bar jam. Still would be happier at a 500 price point tho.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Line 6

Sure, there are certainly some industries where that's true (software, military contractors, printers, razor blades, etc.), but the vast majority of MI hardware manufacturers are still very much neck-deep in the "COGS vs. GM dictates street price" model, including YGG.
    Helix LT and Fractal's AX8 have identical DSPs—2x ADSP-SHARC 21469 @ 450MHz.