Line 6 Helix Native. DAW plugins.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Mike, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Can't say the same, but I also can't dispute your personal opinion. Fair enough.

2. fairness

fairness SS.org Regular

It's fine, music would be boring if everyone liked the same sounds.

mikah912 likes this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

In here? I saw Kemper too, maybe for the bass player.

It's getting better, I had pretty much tired my hearing yesterday by playing whole night with headphones. When I had HD 300, HD Bean, and HD 500X I kept sag and bias quite low, and it really tightens up the amp model.

4. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Didn't say they were easy purchases, you sure you read my post correctly?

5. capac

capac SS.org Regular

It's a pain in the ass to dial in helix. A lot of drives have something weird going on in the high mids, and it's difficult to dial out. I think everyone should just try it.

Elric likes this.
  6. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

My point is Line 6 can't make any product a runaway success just by virtue of being Line 6, with the name recognition and distribution that entails. They are essentially new players in this space fighting a not-great rep from the HD500 and lack of development of the Vetta platform. And they're being price undercut by Fractal and Amplifire.

So for them to continue to succeed and get more big names to switch two years later means that the product stands on its own as a quality, top tier competitor regardless of the results any one player gets with it.

PBGas likes this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I tried to get the demo working on my laptop yesterday but it just wouldn't fully load. It opened, but everything was blank and I couldn't do anything.

It registered okay, said the trial was active, but it did say 'connection interrupted' in red at the top of the window when I clicked the '15 days remaining' bit on the bottom right.

I'll bring my work laptop home today, install a reaper demo on it and give that a shot. It's much newer so maybe that will help.

8. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Works perfectly on my PC running reaper...

9. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I wouldn't exactly use Browne as an advocate for Line 6 gear considering that he kept using what I'm pretty sure was the POD XT even after trying the Axe Fx. I don't remember where but I remember him talking about how he just tried to replicate his POD tone on the Axe FX so it didn't really make sense to use it when the POD already does what he wants it to do. Not to mention that he's sponsored by Line 6 now.

Anyways, has anybody put down the $400 for the Native yet? I'm thinking about doing it since I run my GSP1101 through my DAW when playing 99% of the time so the Helix tones would be an upgrade, but $400 is a juicy sum of money to spend on a plugin...

Elric likes this.
  10. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

11. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

He's also an official Mesa artist, so I don't think he's some paid shill that's Line 6 Above All, per se.

Guy just use what works for him. Kinda like Meshugah. They've recorded multiple times with POD/Vetta sounds, but I don't think they ever have with Axe-Fx, despite using them live up until recently. Album before last was Cubase amp rack. Last one was real amps.

12. mnemonic

Got helix working on my gf's Mac, no problem at all so I guess it was my old computer just not wanting to run it.

I turned off impulses and just ran it into my 2/50/2 and 2x12 cab as I'm just interested in what helix amp models sound like. There was a slight latency that was annoying and I couldn't figure out how to eliminate (GarageBand seems light on functionality) so I can't really comment on the feel.

Overall I did not find it hard to get a good tight metal tone. The stand out models to me were the Archon (I wish cliff would model one of these for the axe fx) and the Badonk, which basically sounds like a more modern and versatile Big Bottom from the PodXT days. Except I can actually add mids to this amp, and it's not as fizzy. Still has that Big Bottom voicing which is cool.

Fatality was extremely fizzy but I bet that could be tamed. Some other models that I'm forgetting the names of has some high end fizz that decayed in a really weird way, like it decreased in pitch as the note delayed. I can get similar weird effects on my axe fx but usually just on amps when the poweramp is driven way too hard to be tight.

I get people's complaints about the interface, the sliders are kinda annoying, I'd prefer knobs, but overall it was easy to use.

I expected more deep editing parameters for the amps, maybe I'm just spoiled by the sheer amount of crap you can change in the axe fx. Unless they were on some page I didn't see? Dunno.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by it. Given a lot of you guys haven't liked it I wasn't expecting much. I'd be interested in trying or buying a hardware helix.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  13. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Here's what I don't get. If the amp models sound better to you on a (or various) cheaper plugin(s) that requires less effort to get rid of certain "artifacts", if the GUI isn't to your taste and you don't already own a Helix hardware unit, why would you bother with Native? What does it offer over the competition in the plugin market?

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. mnemonic

I don't give a shit about plugins nor do I record anymore. I just wanted to see what helix sounds like through my setup with my guitars, and I don't want to buy one to find out.

Elric likes this.
  15. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Count me as one that finds Helix (and Line6 across all their product lines, for that matter) to have that nasty fizz others complained about. You really hear it when you play single-notes above the 12th fret with a neck pickup engaged.

IMO, just about any modern high-gain amp sim sounds respectable when djent'ing out 16th-note fragments on a low B string. Using that same tone above the 12th fret is where most of the flaws are revealed.... that's where the digitally fizz will really show itself.

TSE50 so far is the best amp plugin I've used. Thinking about demo'ing TH3 for some added variety though, based on other's opinions in this thread. TSE is great, but it's kind of a really nice one-trick-pony.

Also own a Kemper, and haven't found anything that tops it when chained through a good studio-quality pre/EQ/comp and into the ADC/DAW. Always open to the possibility that someday a plug will come along and unseat the Kemper though.

Elric likes this.
  16. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Helix is not bad at all, but it has some weird fizz going on.

17. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I'm not saying he's a paid shill, the dude is an amazing engineer and can plug into a toaster and make it sound good, it's just a bit fishy that he says he doesn't need the Axe-Fx and keeps using old Line 6 gear and then makes the switch to Helix when he gets sponsored by them.
    I don't doubt that he thinks the Helix is a superior piece of gear to the stuff he's been using before but like I said, I wouldn't consider him as some big advocate for Line 6.

Weird to hear about the issues people are having with the Native, hopefully they'll be able to iron some of the kinks out with software updates down the line. I'll give the trial a shot when I have the time but I'll probably stick to my GSP1101 for now.

18. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

In case you missed it, I made two Helix Native demos.
    This one is more metal:

And this one more traditional with a strat but still rock:

I think Helix is great!
    Is it more accurate than the Axe FX or a real amp?
    That is debatable but the Helix sure sounds great in it's own right.
    The midrange has something that is pleasing to the ears imho.

AkiraSpectrum and Ericjutsu like this.
  19. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I have a hardware Helix and love it dearly. Took some time to get some tones I was totally happy with but I'm glad I stuck it out. because I've got the best tone of my life. I'll be get Native once I've got the spare hundy next paycheck. I dialed the fizz with some simple EQs on the IRs. I would say that the Axe-Fx can get better tones overall but for my tastes the difference in quality wasn't worth the price difference.

Try putting the LA studio comp at the end of your chain, and the Tube Mic Pre near the beginning. I found that setting both of those blocks at a subtle level got me nicer tones, plus the aforementioned hi/lo passes on my IRs.

Also, this helped me dial in some of the more esoteric amp parameters:
    http://line6.com/support/topic/19115-helix-amp-parameters/

20. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I'm going to echo most people who have posted thus far and say I am very disappointed in Helix Native. I haven't spent much time with it but I had trouble getting a usable tone. I'm sure with a lot of time and tweaking I could get something nice, but I'm not interested in 'deep editing/tweaking' to get decent tones. With BIAS FX all I need to do is throw a tubescreamer in front of any amp and I immediately get a good tone, not so with Helix.

Like others, I too noticed a lot of weird fizz that I couldn't easily dial out.

steinmetzify likes this.