Line 6 Helix Native. DAW plugins.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Mike, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I think Native sounds really good. Better than TSE X50, Thermionik, BIAS, and a few freeware ampsims. I agree about the silly GUI and having restrictions for no reason other than that's how it is on the hardware unit. There should be a setting to release those restrictions. Line 6 has said they are thinking about doing just that though. In its current state, it's hard to recommend Native to those who have to pay full price for it. Once Line 6 gets it sorted out more and make it less restrictive, I feel it'll be worth the full price. Since I own a Helix, my price is only 99 USD which is very reasonable.

2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

overloud has been ahead of the game since TH2, which still sounds fantastic... and dare i say i like TH2 interface a little better than TH3. That being said, TH3 is in the lead for me for sound and ease of interface

3. fairness

fairness SS.org Regular

Never liked Bias.... I know a lot of people like it but it just didn't seem to produce sounds that 100% i like. Always felt like i can get close but something always felt off.

That's good to hear, they should really do that.

I agree, if someone owns a Helix the 99$ is a no brainer. And i believe that it was more the intention of them to give another tool to Helix owners. But it's at version 1.0, the future will tell.

Ericjutsu likes this.
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This is subjective, but some of us might disagree :lol:

Elric likes this.
  5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Didn't you pick Helix in a comparison video as one of your favorite tones in it?

6. Metropolis

Yes, but this shows again how some things don't work with other people's setups and equipment. Or they don't fancy feel and sound of certain things in real life, only in the sound clips. I've seen people sell Helix and get something else or vice versa.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

There's a reason I didn't overdo the example I put up. Compared to the fully produced and realised song Sacha did using Helix. You could tell me that was BIAS, TH3, Axe FX 2, hell even a real amp and I'd probably take you on your word. There's a world of difference when trying the real thing vs Jared Dines/Gear Gods latest "out of the box demo".

8. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

[​IMG]

9. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

I was considering to re-buy an Axe Fx again but the Helix prices went down here (the LT is just 830 and the floor helix is 1130) and i was really excited to try out this native version.
    But i wasnt blown away sadly. It sounds okay and i would be probably happy with all the options and the possibilities, but does it really sound the same on the floor/rack units?

10. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm curious to see how it sounds to the Helix.

11. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Pretty much where I am. Line 6 has now said they're definitely releasing the restrictions at some point in the near future which would have the plugin make waaaaaaaaay more sense to non-Helix owners. Also, the IR management and drag-and-drop functionality needs to be improved.

That being said, it sounds great, is efficient on resources and has pretty good default cabs. Not only do I have most of the software suites out there right now to A/B it against, but I've had an AX8 twice. Helix - both the hardware and now Native - ranks with all of them. You don't need 50 EQs. Just use the the high and low cut on the cab block.

12. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

I've just whipped up a quick comparison of the amps as they are without being dialled or mixed with other instruments. The signal chain for the riff was an RG8>Audio Interface>Tube Screamer>Amp Model>Mesa 4x12 Cab with an SM57. There is no EQ, no reverb, no hard gating or any difference in mic'ing. Just the amp models as they are once selected/dropped into the chain. This is as out-of-the-box as it gets.

The order is as follows:

1. TH3 Dual Rec
    2. Helix Dual Rec
    3. TH3 5150
    4. Helix 5150
    5. TH3 Fireball
    6. Helix Fireball

https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/th3-vs-helix-3-amp-test

Whatever conclusion you come to, that Helix Dual Rec sounds tragic. The Fireball sounds like the best high gain model it has to my ears.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  13. fairness

fairness SS.org Regular

I liked Helix Native a lot more on the second day, even used the stock cabs.
    Had a lot of fun jamming with the Archetype amp (I guess PRS Archon?) yesterday.
    Definitely some good sounding stuff in that software but i just can't get over the GUI, restrictions and most of all the price tag.
    At this point i don't think they should just get rid of the restrictions but they should rebuild the whole GUI too.

14. Metropolis

Helix Native's fizzy and grainy boxiness can be dialed out with lowering master volume in amp block, and playing with deep edit functions, but it's still there, awful.

AkiraSpectrum and Elric like this.
  15. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

16. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Wow, thank you for doing this. Based on this alone I'm buying TH3 now... that 5150 was legit sounding. I was incredibly disappointed with all 3 of the Native amps in this shootout. They were all fizzy, thin and grainy (and not in a good way).

17. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Ericjutsu likes this.
  18. Metropolis

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

20. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

You think my Recto clip sounded anything like oc616's?

Hooookay.... might be time to get the hearing checked, sir.