Line 6 Helix Native. DAW plugins.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Mike, Aug 8, 2017.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Sounds pretty brutal man.

2. steinmetzify

Sounds pretty brutal man.

3. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Managed to grab it. Straight away the models have the same old hissy digital vibe that requires work the TH3 plugin just doesn't. Here's a clip for comparison, TBH it just sounds like the POD HD I'm already trying to sell in terms of modelling quality (this was honestly the best I could get after 3 hours or so of tweaks and a couple of preset dissections from online).

https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/th3-vs-helix-demo-1

AkiraSpectrum and Elric like this.
  4. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I grabbed the demo too. There is something oddly grainy and hissy in Helix's modeling that cannot be dialed out easily, really don't know what it is. TH3 definetly doesn't have that, and it sounds much better at least here. Btw, which amp models you used in these clips?

6. steinmetzify

Grabbed it. Don't like it.

I bought an AxeFx last year and lost 12 hours playing, out of the box.

If I bought a Helix and it sounded like this when I plugged it in it'd get returned immediately.

I've been disparaging of L6 products in the past and I'm sure that could come up, but I wanted to like this plugin. As it is I've just saved $400.

7. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Dual Rec in TH3, the Archetype in Helix (think its a PRS Archon?). The Dual Rec in Helix sounded far too rock orientated and boomy, even with extensive EQ. Put it this way, the signal chain for each is as follows...

TH3: Gate>Dist>EQ>Amp>Cab>EQ

Helix: (Has input gate) EQ>Comp>Dist>EQ>Amp-split into Cab 1 and 2>EQ>Volume

The EQ's themselves are a lot more involved as well due to the amount of undesired sounds. If I was to put my finger on it, the TH3 models have next to no high gain hiss unless you really push them, whereas the Helix distortion models have far less low end unless pushed, with very untamed highs and clumsy presence functions. Pretty much all of the Line 6-named amp models in the lower options sounded like each other too. Money saved, glad for the demo.

EDIT: I'd also like to add how awful I find the UI by comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metropolis likes this.
  8. Metropolis

But... no one should use Helix cab models, they're just plain garbage for hi-gain sounds. In TH3 their own cabs are decent, but little bit too boomy for my taste.

9. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

All the less reason to drop $400 on it then.

10. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Tried the demo out for a few hours. It's not immediately awesome... The intention was to get this as a backup, for when my AX8 is not at home, but I'm not spending $400 on this. The plugin is pretty and all, but that's about it for me.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. Metropolis

Yeah :shrug: I just really wanted to like this... never had experience with Helix modeling before, wonder how different the hardware versions feel and sound, if at all. Even the effects suck somehow, they lack deepness and overall good sound. And this comes from someone who has used three different kind of Pod HD-series units before.

Just spend 199€ on Overloud TH3, it's solid.

AkiraSpectrum and CerealKiller like this.
  12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Tried the demo last night and couldn't jive with it. Even using OwnHammer impulses with their amp modelers produced a hiss in the tone and overall it was just thin and fake sounding. There's no way I'm dropping $400 on this; I'm sticking with my Axe Fx II.

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The initial reactions have been interesting. I have been seeing a ton of people not liking Helix Native for heavy music. I have been curious about the Helix, and this makes me wonder if people love it more for the touch screen than the sound.

I am surprised to see so many TH3 mentions also. That is also another plugin I dont hear much about for metal sounds. Has it improved, or has people just started to catch on?

14. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

I heard about it through Johnny (he pops around here sometimes) of ForTiori. Tried the 2 week demo and it just sounded perfect right out of the box, very little needed in the way of tweaks. I don't think Overloud really marketed themselves like Positive Grid or Fractal did with metalheads as their "core" audience, so that might be to do with its seeming lack of popularity.

Elric likes this.
  15. Metropolis

Helix doesn't have touch screen, the Headrush Pedalboard is only unit in the market which has it.

TH3 has been mentioned in many forums and youtube by users who found it to be a really good software. Company's marketing strategy is something that doesn't really stand out in anywhere, so commercializing their products is very minimal.

Some threads about TH3 in ss.org if you want to find out something or discuss:
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/lets-talk-guitar-vsts-good-bad-ugly.320301/page-5#post-4758611
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/overloud-th3.313684/page-2#post-4713359
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/pc-amp-sims-that-rivals-axefx-kemper.319401/#post-4705539
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/revalver-4-or-th3.318085/#post-4686090
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/overloud-th3-metal.317727/
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/do-any-vsts-hold-a-candle-to-the-ax-fx.315880/#post-4655616

schwiz likes this.
  16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Touchscreen, big shiny colorful screen..... it is all the same to me :lol:

I have seen TH3 mentioned some on this board, but it does not come up as commonly as some programs, such as the TSEX50.

17. Genome

Genome Wrex. Shepard.

Tried it last night, my initial reactions were poor (and that's with Ownhammer IR's). Not huge on the GUI. After an hour or two of tweaking, I got it to sound quite nice. I thought the Fireball sim was really good. Disappointed in the Mesa sims. I doubt I'll be spending £300+ on it.

It's meant to sound exactly the same as the hardware units, right? If so, my initial reaction is that the Axe-FX is easily better.

18. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Also tried it last night. I didn't get to spend too much time with it but overall it's not for me. I liked some of the Factory preset clean tones (after some tweaking). The dirty tones were underwhelming. I don't know if it was just me but the Hard Gate was acting all kinds of funky when I was playing with the settings.

I'll probably spend a little more time playing with it but I won't be buying.

19. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Damn does this ever look like a swing and a miss. :noplease:

20. fairness

fairness SS.org Regular

I'm just repeating what i said on another forum:
    If you don't have a hardware Helix, i personally see no point in getting it.

They put the same restrictions that the hardware Helix has into the software. Meaning limited number of amps, cabs, IRs. I guess they did this so you can easily copy your Hx Native presets onto the Helix but there should at least be an option to disable these restrictions.
    The GUI makes sense when you use it on the unit but with mouse and keyboard it is just a silly GUI concept.
    Lot's of missing options.

I found that it can be made to sound good, mostly if you are using 3rd party IRs but IMO it is not better than TH3/S-Gear/etc.
    Some good amps and effects and some bad amps and effects.

Overloud TH3 is currently at 170$ and S-Gear 2.7 at 130$ meaning you could buy both and still have 100$ left.
    Considering that, i see no reason to buy Helix Native in its current state and price.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017