Line 6 announcement on January 23rd. New amp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I can't see this thing "tone matching" on the same level as the Kemper or Axe-Fx. What I'm guessing it's doing is going into the Line 6 patch library, searching for a match for whatever band/song you want and pulling up whatever patch closest meets the criteria.

Basically, it's going to be a fancy way of fetching & loading pre-sets. :rolleyes:

2. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

It's "name of song/band" matching. :noway:

edit---->HAHAHA! Just saw the post above! ^^^

3. Nakon14

Nakon14 Smells like updog

So I played with it a bit more today. At first I was messing around with their iPad but, being skeptical that they were special displays/tones set up especially for the event, asked if I could sync up my phone with one. They were more than happy to help me get it set up (standard bluetooth sync) and I got started streaming music through it. First I tried out some RATM which already had some presets made (spot-on by the way) and then started trying with songs that didn't have profiles already.

I was really impressed with how the amp reacts to creating the tone match. It takes the music you're streaming plus your playing dynamics and starts creating the the tone. I'd say in about 10 seconds or so the amp had the tone dialed in, mind you it's doing it seamlessly while you're playing, no skips/pops/etc. I tried out some Periphery to get a djenty tone, then some of my band's material before finishing with some Killswitch. I started playing Periphery after RATM, so I still had that preset loaded in. A few seconds after I started playing I noticed that the tone was starting to blend in a lot more before I realized that the amp had adjusted the tone based off my playing dynamics and the music. When I started playing Killswitch, I noticed that the feel of having the super-high mids for djent had changed to a meater, metalcore tone flawlessly.

Even though it has the XT amps in it, you really having to be focusing on that sound to realize its them. I think this is in large part due to the full range response of the speakers in the amp giving the tones a lot meatier of a feel to them. I'd say the quality of the amps was along the lines of Jammit Pro/Bias.

Sorry if this flows weirdly, I feel like I've walked to Middle Earth and back the past couple days!

4. Nakon14

So I played with it a bit more today. At first I was messing around with their iPad but, being skeptical that they were special displays/tones set up especially for the event, asked if I could sync up my phone with one. They were more than happy to help me get it set up (standard bluetooth sync) and I got started streaming music through it. First I tried out some RATM which already had some presets made (spot-on by the way) and then started trying with songs that didn't have profiles already.

I was really impressed with how the amp reacts to creating the tone match. It takes the music you're streaming plus your playing dynamics and starts creating the the tone. I'd say in about 10 seconds or so the amp had the tone dialed in, mind you it's doing it seamlessly while you're playing, no skips/pops/etc. I tried out some Periphery to get a djenty tone, then some of my band's material before finishing with some Killswitch. I started playing Periphery after RATM, so I still had that preset loaded in. A few seconds after I started playing I noticed that the tone was starting to blend in a lot more before I realized that the amp had adjusted the tone based off my playing dynamics and the music. When I started playing Killswitch, I noticed that the feel of having the super-high mids for djent had changed to a meater, metalcore tone flawlessly.

Even though it has the XT amps in it, you really having to be focusing on that sound to realize its them. I think this is in large part due to the full range response of the speakers in the amp giving the tones a lot meatier of a feel to them. I'd say the quality of the amps was along the lines of Jammit Pro/Bias.

Sorry if this flows weirdly, I feel like I've walked to Middle Earth and back the past couple days!

5. UncurableZero

UncurableZero SS.org Regular

What gets me excited is that we may see some good tonematches for the small portion of us who are still running it old school with a XT/X3. :D
    The same amp modelling is used so in theory the presets should be "translatable". I'm don't usually use other people's presets, but running an FRFR rig the tones should translate well.

6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Can someone summerize me what is this Amplifi in the end? An ampl that configurates with your mobile phone? 'cause it's not something new,Gurus amps here in italy did the same some months ago:scratch:

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's pretty much a combo amp based on the XT/X3 modeling that can only be tweaked with your iPhone, as well as having "tone matching" software that finds presets based on a song instead of having actual tone matching software like the Axe 2 or Kemper.

Unlike previous Line 6 stuff, it's pretty much a novelty item. :shrug:

8. Ewan

Ewan SS.org Regular

Um. That sounds amazing to me. This novelty amp will sell. This takes away all the tone tinkering that I can't be bothered with. I can just pickup and play. Superb!

9. Nakon14

It does actual tone matching, I made it a priority to try that out yesterday. With songs that presets don't exist for yet (and in general) the amp listens and makes the tone on its own, which you can tweak and save onto the amp for your liking.

10. Lain

Lain SS.org Regular

Nakon, please ask the Line6 guys if there will be Windows PC software... or why there is an USB....

11. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

that actually does sound intriguing, if it actually tone matches rather than just fetches a preset off the website.. 99% of what I listen to is stuff that will never be on any custom tone/tab/music/etc website (bands like TSQUARE and CASIOPEA) and getting their tone is pretty damn difficult at times.

I'm in the market for a grab-n-go practice amp (when I want to goto a friends and leave the AxeFX II at home) so I'll be trying this out when they hit the stores.. I was gonna buy a Blackstar ID but maybe this will work for fun use. (assuming android/PC is available later)

12. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

Seems quite expensive for a practice solution. That tone matching seems pretty clever though I thought it just fetched presets from the web. The andertons video implied that there was a database of tones that people vote on.

13. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Any answer on the USB?

14. Insinfier

Insinfier SS.org Regular

Firmware updates, I bet.

15. Nakon14

Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to make it back up to the Line 6 booth today, but I'll make sure to hit it tomorrow! So just to make sure, Windows software/USB connectivity/Android support, anything else?

16. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

Ask about Linux software just to be annoying to the people at the booth.

17. Lain

Lain SS.org Regular

Haha yeah, and if there will be BSD support.

Also ask them if they never read forums or why they don't know that people love Impulse Responses.

And if someone played a gig with an Amplifi, could another person connect with his phone to it and mess up all the presets?

18. wyldeman71

wyldeman71 SS.org Regular

This is a big thread, so I'll just ask the question I have about Amplifi. I'm not a professional musician, I just like to jam with friends and do covers mainly. I like the fact that my Spyder has 4 different programmable banks that have 4 different channels, so I can quickly go from band to band with tones. This having only 4 channels seems like a hold up to me. If one song has two or three tones, won't I have to reprogram after every song? Everything else about the amp seems pretty cool for what I do.

19. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

If you buy a floorboard you should be able to switch on the fly. The XT/X3 line has a sound bank with space for like 200 presets or something, if memory serves. You can presumably switch with your iOS device as a remote, but that would obviously stop the song.

20. Nakon14

Hey guys! So I just got done talking to my Line 6 rep at the booth, and here's some answers:

There are talks for Android/PC/Mac support, but no explicit timeline for when they'll be released. The focus at the moment is on iOS. HOWEVER, you can sync your library via Bluetooth to the amp and stream music from Android devices.

The choice for the X3 Live amps was because of the more widely-available and familiar user base and architecture already out there. That, and for tone matching purposes they were able to get much better results with the X3 architecture than the HD models

There will not be custom IR loading.

The USB on the amp is to mainly be used for firmware updates, but it's intended for those to be done via Bluetooth on the app.

The amp is 4 channel, same as the spider series and can be footswitchable with the FBV/POD with stored presets.

I think that's all, if you guys have anymore let me know I'll be here until 5! (8 EST)