LGBs now protected under federal employment law

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has ruled that LGB individuals are already covered under laws protecting individuals from discrimination based on sex.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mination-is-sex-discrimination-says-the-eeoc/

It's not clear to me if they are including trans individuals in their ruling.

Anyway, this is an interesting development. I don't think religious organizations are allowed to discriminate on the basis of protected classes like race and sex.

I've never read of someone black who wanted to work for white supremacist churches, but sincere LGBT members of various Christian faiths could definitely desire to work for their particular churches. This ruling will make it hard for such a church to discriminate for cause, and might affect various teachers who were successful in helping students but were let go for being gay in a parochial school system.

So, you can't just discriminate on the basis of religious bigotry against either n*ggers OR f*ggots. What a horrible attack on the whole "Treat others as you want to be treated" thing!

Oh... wait... this is actually an affirmation of that, and a rebuke to those who claim to follow it, but don't.

Oh well!

Sang-Drax likes this.
  2. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

You might want to check your assumptions on this - religious organizations have some fairly broad exemptions from hiring discrimination laws, at least where the position can be reasonably interpreted as having a religious (including religious education) role. Check the background on the recent Hosanna Tabor case at the Supreme Court for details.

3. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Also: as I was looking up the details on this, I read that a previous EEOC ruling extended Title VII protections to trans employees.

4. ArticulateMadness

ArticulateMadness Madness Articulator.

I'm just tired of every day somebody having to have a red carpet parade because they decided to become sexually attracted to their own gender, or decided to flip genders to match their new attractiveness to the previous gender they once were. Geez. If they could just stop for five minutes before another reality show comes out and deal with real human rights violations instead of matters of the heart the nation wouldn't be so messed up.

5. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

^Welcome to why these protections are needed in the first place. This line of thinking right here...

Nobody wants a red carpet. They just wanna stop being excluded from decent housing, employment, marital benefits, and not be victims of increased domestic violence and harassment. You can roll your eyes all you want, but this crap happens to LGBT people almost daily. Ignore the Caitlyn Jenner crap, and discover how it really is for the average LGBT person before you dismiss them.

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm really interested to see which human rights atrocities that happened that wouldn't have occurred if we weren't so danged busy with assuring equal rights for our citizens.

Was Kim Davis assigned by the CIA to be a honeypot assassin of the head of ISIS? And she couldn't because she was jailed for lovin' Jesus? Is that it?

Real humanitarian here. :lol:

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Ironically, it's usually the anti-crowd that gives these incidences the most attention/air time anyhow.

If a football player got off the field and casually kissed his boyfriend it'd be on Fox news for a week, there'd be a debate about it, the conservatives would cry that it's being shoved in their face, etc. when in reality the fact that it bothered them is the real problem to begin with. No one bats an eye when a couple we consider normal does what a couple we don't consider normal does. If a straight male actor goes into an interview talking about his sexual encounters it's just playful banter. If a gay actor does it, again, it's "shoving it in my face" and "making a big deal out of it". It's the controversy that keeps it in the media and it's, ironically, the people against it that create all the controversy.

Perhaps if all the religious people and bigots stopped belittling and harassing people over such things it could be made less of a big deal. I guarantee you that the coverage on these things would become far less common, or as inconsequential as a private moment between two individuals really is, if bigots didn't spread hate every time they smell something they think is gay.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You pick this thread of all threads to vent about this? How is this related to the topic at hand? How is LGBT people wanting protection from losing their jobs due to discrimination considered attention whoring?

Now I see why you're called a P&CE troll. :lol:

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, don't feed the troll guys.

10. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Dude, you're funny! Damn homo's ruining what was once perfectly good reality tv, god dammit!!! :mad:

That's what's ruining this country I tell ya! :lol:

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I find it weird that whatever social group would want to work for people who do not consider them equals.
    It's not like "religion" is a monolithic thing, you have a lot of decent people if you don't want to work with idiots.
    I'd think they'd do their religion a service by seeking employment from the intelligent ones.
    I've been raised in the catholic religion (I'm currently between agnostic and "don't care") and I've met priests who were very open about people and what they are, and others who were definitely extreme right wing bigots. If I was gay I certainly would try to avoid the latter.

12. asher

asher So Did We

Would that it were so simple.

And all the African Americans could simply avoid all the racist white people, too...

13. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    Aside from the obvious analogy with racism, most people will work with whatever shows up. Few people actually have the luck to choose their field, let alone choose their employer!

Even as far as intimate aspects of life go, sometimes LGBT have no option but to associate with bigots, especially those raised in very conservative areas.