Lets Talk Ibanez Trems!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by cip 123, Feb 13, 2018.

Which trem?

1. Original Edge

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Lo-pro

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Edge pro

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. ZR

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Edge Zero

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Other (Comment below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Hey dudes,

So I recently acquired a cool custom Jason becker numbers neck off Ebay, it's an Ibanez neck so I was gonna make a new body, but that leads me to the very important choice of a new trem.

I was gonna go Ibanez S, and I used to have one of those bodies with the ZR trem which was real smooth but I didn't have it for very long so dunno who well it holds up over time. Anyone got any prolonged experience with it?

And which Ibanez Trem do you prefer + why?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The original, simple Gotoh made ones tend to hold up the best over time. They have fewer parts, are made out of quality materials and milled to tight tolerances. Between the Original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge, it just comes down to preference and feel, with the Original being a bit "bouncier" than the Lo-Pro.

The Edge Pro would probably be the next, same quality as the other two, but the complicated saddles with plastic pieces can be a weakness over time. Parts are harder to come by as well.

The ZR and EZ aren't bad, but definitely lower overall quality. Tons of parts too. A ZR/EZ with the ZPS can have over twice the number of parts as a Lo-Pro. More parts, more potential failure.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Lo pro and original are by far my favorites, along with probably everyone else, for good reason: they work great and hold up fantastically. As far as modern day designs, the only one I’ve actually liked has been the Edgo Zero (w/ZPS3) as far as playability, tuning stability, and longevity are concerned. I’d always opt for the lo pro but would be fine with an original second or EZ third.

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I prefer the feel of the original Edge (or OFR) when actually using the trem, and the "out of the way of the picking hand" feel of the Lo Pro when not using trem. But it isn't a big difference - I'm OK with either.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I would say the most important distinction in terms of stability between the Edge Pro and the EDGE/Lo-Pro EDGE are the locking studs in the trem posts. Other than that, I actually dig the profile of the EP more than the LoPro and OFR designs, it literally feels like there is no bridge in the way at all, and it's super smooth.

As for the ZR and EZ, what have you found to be lower quality on the EZ? I would put it at least on par or maybe even above the Edge Pro just for the locking studs and built in intonation tool

6. MaxOfMetal

The EZ has locking trem posts and the ZR attaches in such a way that it doesn't need them. So it's moot here. The Edge Pro had the same studs, just needed the grub screws.

As for quality, the small hardware pieces and threading aren't nearly as nice and clean.

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Any one got any dimensions for the Edge or Lo pro trems?

8. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

You can get most infos on Ibanez trem history on this page barthe most recent ones (like SyncroniZR which isn't locking anyway). http://lawl.net/gtr

As for me, I like the ball bearings of the ZR and that Zero trems (ZR and Edge) are way easier to setup with the wheel at the back. I don't like that it's basically not compatible with Tremol-No or that the Edge Zero is limited to Japanese instruments, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Perhaps Ibanez will bother releasing a RG 2120X or similar again with piezo saddles and a low profile locking trem (originally released with a Lo-Pro Edge), but I guess all the piezo fans bought a JP/Majesty instead.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Edge III is one of the hottest pieces of garbage I've ever had the displeasure to use. :lol: Perhaps it's not as terrible as the really cheap ones on 200 bucks instruments, but... yeah. It sucks man. Reminder that Arabic numerals mean an updated/upgraded version of a previous model (or at least an attempt to) while Roman numerals indicate a cheaper version of another trem.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I wasn't talking about the differences in ZR/EZ, I know how those work haha.

The Edge Pro 100% does not have the same studs as the lopro edge or Edge original.

From ibanezrules:

"On the left is the old 2LE2B locking studs [note the extended set screw in the center of the stud] and 2LE2A inserts that have a solid base. On the right is the new non locking EP studs and the open base inserts."

[​IMG]

I know about the grub screw to sort of convert it to a locking stud, but I still wouldn't call it the same stud, especially in a list of pros and cons for each.

Another source, I own both and can confirm they are different studs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MaxOfMetal

The studs are different, but they function the same. They just need a grub screw to lock in place. I've done the "mod", if you can even call it that, to dozens of guitars.

The older studs are better made, so Rich's mod is with merit, but I don't think $.02 worth of hardware should disqualify the Edge Pro, especially since this is going into what seems like a new build so the studs can be locked from the get go.

11. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Oh yeah for sure, even without the mod I have no issues with my Edge Pro tbh. I'd never disqualify the EP, but what I originally meant was what would you say about the Edge Zero is lower quality than the Edge Lo/Pro variants?

I thought/hoped the EZ was Ibanez returning to making not shitty trems :lol:

12. MaxOfMetal

As I said, the smaller hardware pieces like the fine tuner bolts and saddle intonation bolts are cheap. The threading in those areas can be pretty hairy as well. They're not garbage, not at all, just obviously cheaper than the Gotoh made stuff. The finishes could be sketchy as well, but then again Gotoh isn't the best at that either.

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Damn Gotoh isn't making the EZ? That's weird

14. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The threading on the EZ makes me nervious. And the screws that lock down the saddles are threaded into the zinc baseplate (not a steel plate like the Lo Pro). Rich had some issues with those stripping out, which would be a disaster.

15. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I swapped out the LoPro on my RG560 for a ZR and never looked back.

16. MaxOfMetal

Neither of the "Zero" units are Gotoh made. Supposedly they're made at the same facility as the budget trems.

17. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

The problem with the Edge Zero is that the intonation screws screw directly into the threaded block, which is cast and soft, so they are prone to stripping out. It's a relatively easy fix with a helicoil insert, but still a pain. The original Edge and Lo-Pro have a hardened steel plate that the intonation screws go into, much harder to strip out.

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  18. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

I prefer Ibanez and their trems over anything. I’ve played almost every combination, setup, model, scale, number of strings, etc....

I always end up playing an Ibby with a trem. I dont even use the trems. I block em. Because they have best string tension and tuning stability and most comfortable. And i like Ibby trems specifically because my hand hits the raised part with the tuners on Floyds.

They’re just the best. Especially the Lo Pro, and my personal favorite, the Edge Pro. Simply because you dont have to cut the balls off.

gienek likes this.
  19. odibrom

odibrom .

... I never cut the balls of the strings, I string them at the headstock and cut some of the excess string at the bridge... I've been doing it for more than 20 years, no problem what so ever...

20. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

I’ve always used thicker gauges so for the top couple strings usually i can’t do this

odibrom likes this.