Let's talk guitar VSTs good, bad, ugly

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by heathenhotel, Mar 13, 2017.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude this is the interesting part to me.

We have the exact same interfaces, both use Reaper etc...and like I said, use the exact same guitar.

Only difference is he's using Windows 7 and I'm on 10.

I did export those two presets and email them to him, and they worked instantly. No clue what's going on with this thing but I don't like it.

2. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

No. :D Consider it a bump, brotha.

steinmetzify likes this.
  3. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I use Bias mostly, but i do only use my own amps that i've matched in there, sounds pretty good that way.

Sometimes i also use Amplitube, and while the stock models are pretty terrible, some of the "custom shop" stuff is pretty good, like the mesa/orange/fender packs.

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I've now moved on to using BIAS FX with an IR loader to run cabinet IRs without having to buy BIAS HEAD Pro to get the in-built IR loader. Best decision I've ever made, and it was FREE.

5. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

How do I load 3rd part IRS with biasfx?

6. AkiraSpectrum

You can only load IR's if you have BIAS AMP Professional.
    I only have Bias FX Standard so what I do is run Bias FX and turn off the cabinet modelling (at the very top of the cab selection box--'no cabinet'), then I load an IR Loader (there are many out there, but I use Rosen Digital's 'Pulse' IR Loader). Thus, the amp is being modeled by Bias FX and its going into the IR Loader where I can use my IR's for cab emulation.

The only issue is that any effects that go 'in the effects loop' (reverb, delay, chorus, etc.) sound odd because they require the cab emulation to come first. I've tried loading another instance of Bias FX after RD's Pulse IR Loader and turn off everything and then add the effects that way but it doesn't seem to work.
    Thus, I can only use the IR Loader if I'm playing without any effects in the loop. If I want to use effects in the loop I use the built-in cab models of Bias Fx.

Hope this helps.

7. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Thanks ...I have biasfx pro...any reason to get bias amp pro? I have no amps to profile and I don’t do any deep editing wth the amps

8. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

I mean, you answered your own question.

Bias Amp is great if you want to tone match (pro) but if you absolutely don't need it, then just go on the cloud and get one from someone elses match. But fwiw you could also tone match yourself with some of the eq's that are now out there these days...

9. AkiraSpectrum

BIAS Amp Pro will give you the IR Loader and allow you to amp-match. If you're also really into 'tweaking' and getting a very specific tone BIAS allows you to swap amp components (tubes, transformers, etc.) in any of the amp models. In addition, you will also get a new selection of amp models.